GDT: My first GDT - This sh*t again edition: Canes @ Lightning

The Jerk Store

Felix Unger Score'em
Jul 2, 2012
Hills to the North
I get that ot points count, but this team started 10-5-6 last year. Not below hockey .500, but they lost more games than they won over the first quarter of the season.

Then they won 15 of 16. Life comes at you fast.
Looking at last year's regular season final standings, six fewer points would have tied us with the Rangers vs being the top seed. To be fair, we were 4-2-1 through the first seven games last year. Right now we are 3-4-0, so not too far off of that mark.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Not that it would have mattered in the game but it's freaking laughable that Tampa came out of that with a PP.

more proof to the point that being a gentleman on the ice might win 1 guy a lady bing....but it doesn't help win hockey games.

Also Paul is a coward for lining up with Drury. What didn't want to fight Lemiux, Burns, hell even KK (who has shown he can actually throw).

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Looking at last year's regular season final standings, six fewer points would have tied us with the Rangers vs being the top seed. To be fair, we were 4-2-1 through the first seven games last year. Right now we are 3-4-0, so not too far off of that mark.
and NJ started the year 17-4 or something like that, we were down 9 points at Thanksgiving. do we expect NJ to have that kind of start again? if they dont, then us starting 3-4 isnt that big of deal.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
I’m still not sure why they chose to tinker with what was working well…the gem of the portfolio so to speak. Feels like there may be lingering affects of the summer negotiations and roster additions beyond newness and familiarity to overcome.

Or, maybe it is getting harder to believe in the message and approach? Some of them have been at it for a while now. Would RBA welcome some fresh eyes to his coaching team?
not really sure what you're referring to here?

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
So some interesting tidbits from the Lightning broadcast:

1. CDH doesn’t want to discuss his time in Carolina. Admits he’s bitter about his time here and believes his lack of ice time was “political”

2. The Canes were once again woken up at 3am by someone pulling the fire alarm at the hotel they were staying at. I know this isn’t the first time such a thing has happened to the Canes, and I’m pretty sure it was the Tampa series a few years back where it was consistently happening.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
We complain about the number of penalties we are taking
We complain about the players not protecting each other
Even we a player gets jumped by 5 opposing players we get the extra penalty

We want to take less penalties but take 5 simultaneous ones for protecting each other?

Reactions: WreckingCrew

WreckingCrew

Feb 4, 2015
Not that it would have mattered in the game but it's freaking laughable that Tampa came out of that with a PP.
Yea that's absolute garbage that needs league review. There could have been several guys called for instigating or roughing that got nothing and somehow our one guy who got jumped by 4 players ends up giving us a PK...f***ing bush league bullshit. Whoops, guess I'm getting a $25k fine

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
We’re not old and slow though. We’re actually talented and fast. But we’re weak, Staal and Burns being good ol farm boy types changes that very little unfortunately.
Agreed.

Our 2 primary goalies are old and so is Staal/Burns but outside of that we have guys in their primes with almost all of them 32 or younger. Plus a bunch of still young guys in Svetch-Drury-Jarvis-Koko-Necas-Pyotr).

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Step one, fix the damn PK. Hopefully Staal turns it around pretty soon but his penalty killing hasn’t looked great this season so far.

And it feels like teams have just got their playbook figured out. Their passing looks like hot garbage right now. Maybe it’s because their so predictable?

They also seem the be struggling a bit when teams come at them with speed in transition. Like they’re waiting to gum it up along the boards and teams just aren’t giving them that opportunity.

It’s still super early in the season for the sky to be completely falling. A couple of good games at home, and getting healthy can should get them going again.
The biggest worry here is that Staal is getting smoked on the dot on the PK. We need him to not be getting thoroughly outclassed in that position, and if he can't turn it around, you are going to have to strip him of those duties going forward.

Reactions: Tryamw and ndp

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
The biggest worry here is that Staal is getting smoked on the dot on the PK. We need him to not be getting thoroughly outclassed in that position, and if he can't turn it around, you are going to have to strip him of those duties going forward.
This is about 50 percent of the pk issue. The other half is that we were far better at getting to the puck and dumping it last year

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
We complain about the number of penalties we are taking
We complain about the players not protecting each other
Even we a player gets jumped by 5 opposing players we get the extra penalty

We want to take less penalties but take 5 simultaneous ones for protecting each other?

We want less penalties for tripping, holding, and interference and more for shit stirring.

Brad Meador

May 5, 2019
and NJ started the year 17-4 or something like that, we were down 9 points at Thanksgiving. do we expect NJ to have that kind of start again? if they dont, then us starting 3-4 isnt that big of deal.
In all honesty I was a little surprised we past them but it was around that time we were playing well and NJ seemed to start struggling enough for us to over take them. Still, I felt uncomfortable knowing everything came down to the last game of the season.

Fortunately, at this point nobody is running away with the division or is off to a hot start like Boston, Vegas and Colorado are.

I'm just waiting for the time we get hot.

Reactions: AhosDatsyukian

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad