My Final Top 62 Rankings for 2019 Draft - Questions?

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
This is a Best Player Available list.

1. RW Kaapo Kakko - TPS / Liiga
I just have a preference of his style over Hughes'. Puck protection, hands, very skilled. Was his country's most dangerous offensive player in the World Championships already at 18 years old. But I don't think he uses his team mates enough at times, and goes solo too often. But he can still get even better.

2. C Jack Hughes - USNTDP
Great playmaker and has a great motor. Amazing offensive production. I do slightly worry about how well his offensive game will translate to the NHL after all. He isn't strong in corner battles, doesn't play the body enough. I don't think all of this is correctable. He will put up points and I don't think there's a big gap between the top 2 players for the draft and the rest. I can understand why someone doesn't have these two in their top 2.

3. C Alex Turcotte - USNTDP
Strong competitor, has high skill. He will drive the play offensively. It was an easy decision to put Alex at 3. Hasn't shown quite the same offensive upside consistently as the two guys ranked ahead of him and that's why he's below them. But I wouldn't be shocked if he ended up being the best player of this draft.

4. LD Bowen Byram - Vancouver Giants / WHL
Byram is a very complete defenseman, his puck skills are very strong and he can skate too. Sometimes I see him try to join the rush a bit too much for it to translate to next levels but he's just pushing his limits which is good in my book. He can become a first pairing D in the NHL imo. (I have had this same top 4 since April.)

5. C Peyton Krebs - Kootenay Ice / WHL
Krebs is another center with a high compete level, he doesn't skip any shifts and he has a great motor, good playmaking skills too. Those are some qualities I personally value very high. He finds his team mates open. He wins faceoffs, kills penalties, battles hard and seems to be truly captain material. I really have liked what I've seen.

6. RW Bobby Brink - Sioux City Musketeers / USHL
Brink's offensive IQ is something sick. He can find his team mates with amazing vision and passing and can beat goalies clean with a slap shot from distance. But the best part is his decision making: he knows what plays are about to happen and he has a progressional thought. He isn't a pass first or shoot first type of player. He knows what to do, and he penetrates the opposition in ways that makes the space and opportunities for him and others happen. I truly see, if he can still work on his skating and puck protection, he could become something special. But it is remains to be seen if he can ever overcome them.

7. C Kirby Dach - Saskatoon Blades / WHL
Dach's puck skills/control and playmaking are something else. He competes hard and projects that way very well to the next level. I wasn't too impressed with him in all of my viewings during the season and the analytical fact that he was held pointless in about 45% of the regular season games. The team drafting him hopefully knows how to develop him the right way.

8. LD Cam York - USNTDP
I never have been unimpressed while watching Cam York play. Most of the times he has been really impressive. He's a real power play QB. I don't think he has been carried by the other stars in the USNTDP at all. I thought he already out-performed players like Wilde, Miller and Samuelsson at last year's U18s in his Draft -1 year. Sometimes he's been a bit overly casual playing D but I haven't seen this many times.

9. LW Matthew Boldy - USNTDP
Boldy is a good playmaking winger and he battles hard for pucks. But the downside in him is his unwillingness to drive/attack the net area.

10. RW Vasili Podkolzin - SKA-1946 St. Petersburg / MHL
Podkolzin's competitiveness is second to none. Stylistically he's a complete winger. His puck skills are strong, he plays a skilled game and is not just dumping the puck in deep. But his U18's were a red flag: his offensive game seemed to lack dimensions. If he figures it out, the end price is huge.

11. LW Alex Newhook - Victoria Grizzlies / BCHL
Newhook is a good skater which allows him to create space and time for himself to use his great vision and passing which I value very highly in a player. Sometimes I would like to see him battle harder for pucks and the fact that he has been really underwhelming in some of my viewings doesn't put him any higher.

12. Cole Caufield - USNTDP
13. Thomas Harley - Mississauga Steelheads / OHL
14. Ville Heinola - Lukko / Liiga
15. Moritz Seider - Adler Mannheim / DEL
16. Dylan Cozens - Lethbridge Hurricanes / WHL
17. Philip Broberg - AIK / Allsvenskan
18. Arthur Kaliyev - Hamilton Bulldogs / OHL
19. Pavel Dorofeyev - Stalnye Lisy Magnitogorsk / MHL
20. Samuel Poulin - Sherbrooke Phoenix / QMJHL
21. Semyon Chistyakov - Tolpar Ufa / MHL
22. Alex Beaucage - Rouyn-Noranda Huskies / QMJHL
23. Tobias Bjornfot - Frolunda / SuperElit
24. Lassi Thomson - Kelowna Rockets / WHL
25. Patrik Puistola - LeKi / Mestis
26. Trevor Zegras - USNTDP
27. Ryan Suzuki - Barrie Colts / OHL
28. Philip Tomasino - Niagara IceDogs / OHL
29. Connor McMichael - London Knights / OHL
30. Yegor Spiridonov - Stalnye Lisy Magnitogorsk / MHL
31. Robert Mastrosimone - Chicago Steel / USHL
32. Victor Soderstrom - Brynäs IF / SHL
33. Nicholas Robertson - Peterborough Petes / OHL
34. Raphael Lavoie - Halifax Mooseheads / QMJHL
35. Matthew Robertson - Edmonton Oil Kings / WHL
36. John Beecher - USNTDP
37. Jamieson Rees - Sarnia Sting / OHL
38. Simon Holmstrom - HV71 J20 - SuperElit
39. Henry Thrun - USNTDP
40. Spencer Knight - USNTDP
41. Shane Pinto - Tri-City Storm / USHL
42. Artemi Knyazev - Chicoutimi Sagueneens / QMJHL
43. Yegor Afanasyev - Muskegon Lumberjacks / USHL
44. Vladislav Kolyachonok - Flint Firebirds / OHL
45. Henri Nikkanen - Jukurit / Liiga
46. Jakob Pelletier - Moncton Wildcats / QMJHL
47. Drew Helleson - USNTDP
48. John Farinacci - Dexter School / USHS
49. Brayden Tracey - Moose Jaw Warriors / WHL
50. Ilya Nikolayev - Loko Yaroslavl / MHL
51. Leevi Aaltonen - KalPa / Liiga
52. Ryan Siedem - Central Illinois Flying Aces / USHL
53. Albin Grewe - Djurgårdens IF J20 / SuperElit
54. Ryan Johnson - Sioux Falls Stampede / USHL
55. Zachary Jones - Tri-City Storm / USHL
56. Nikita Alexandrov - Charlottetown Islanders / QMJHL
57. Michal Teply - Bili Tigry Liberec / Czech
58. Kalle Loponen - Hermes / Mestis
59. Samuel Bolduc - Blainville-Boisbriand Armada / QMJHL
60. Nolan Maier - Saskatoon Blades / WHL
61. Daniil Gutik - Loko Yaroslavl / MHL
62. Nolan Foote - Kelowna Rockets / WHL

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Bobby Brink at 6?
Trevor Zegras at 26?
Semyin Chistyakov at 21?
Dylan Cozens at 16?

This is an extremely wild draft. The most unlikely I feel but these are all based on personal opinion so who are we to judge lol

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
Bobby Brink at 6?
Trevor Zegras at 26?
Semyin Chistyakov at 21?
Dylan Cozens at 16?

This is an extremely wild draft. The most unlikely I feel but these are all based on personal opinion so who are we to judge lol

Watching Brink play hockey has been a joy. He often makes plays that make me chuckle after. Not many have done that in this draft class. If I like someone that much, I have to put him high.

Zegras is someone I've watched a lot. There's a lot to like about his game, but I'm guessing it's not very translatable. I feel there's not a lot of substance. He does a lot of that wide stance skating and doesn't move his feet enough. He doesn't attack the net either. His hands and passing are great though. Reminds me of Mittelstadt, and not necessarily in a good way.

Chistyakov is someone I've watched a lot in different international tournaments, and I've really grown to like his game a lot. His skating is really great and he does play with a lot of passion. His consistency and hockey IQ have really impressed me too. Checked him out in two MHL playoff games, and he was good in those as well. If I like watching someone play, they are going up.

Cozens' puck skills, playmaking and IQ do worry me slightly. I do think players I ranked above him have better chance to become star players in the NHL.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Why is Broberg not top 10? Why is Zegras at 26? Why is Cozens at 16? Why is Söderström not in the first round when he should be top 10-15? Why is Krebs top 15? Where is Nils Höglander? This is a typical example of how overrated the CHL is, the USHL and European prospects are always too low but there players turn out to be better than overhyped CHL players like Dach, Krebs, Kaliyev Harley and McMichael, all players that really don’t have many standout attributes

Like the Brink pick though

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
I mean a bunch of people have him as a Top 15 Pick, not too big of a shocker.

What has he done to deserve that though? He really has almost no standout attributes at all and below average skating which isn’t good enough for such a high pick

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
On a garbage Kootenay team he actually performed very well IMO. I agree with a lot of the OP says about him even if I don’t have him ranked as a Top 5 Pick.

Krebs might be a decent defensive center in the future but I don’t see him as someone who produces a lot offensively at the NHL level due to a poor shot, decent but not great stickhandling and solid but not elite playmaking. I could see him becoming a Ferland type player

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
Why is Broberg not top 10? Why is Zegras at 26? Why is Cozens at 16? Why is Söderström not in the first round when he should be top 10-15? Why is Krebs top 15? Where is Nils Höglander? This is a typical example of how overrated the CHL is, the USHL and European prospects are always too low but there players turn out to be better than overhyped CHL players like Dach, Krebs, Kaliyev Harley and McMichael, all players that really don’t have many standout attributes

Like the Brink pick though
Broberg's puck game and lack of east-west game is the reason he's not in the top 10. I see him becoming 10 goal 20 assist kind of D guy who scores his goals by joining the rush at the right time, but the players ranked above him I see having higher upside. Also in some games he has struggled to make a great impact on them.

Hoglander isn't ranked because whenever I've seen him he hasn't impressed. I could rank him because of stats, highlights or hearsay, but that's not how I do these. I rank when I see a player in full games. As it is with everyone else, a lot my rankings are based on international tournaments. I still try to evaluate players on how I see their potential rather than how well they happen to perform at specific events. He is probably the only player out of this list that I could possibly see deserving to be here, but I'm not going to spend time on that. I'm not claiming to be an expert.

For me Soderstrom lacks standout skill you were speaking of. To my knowledge he also has had two concussions this season. I have also seen him in games where he has done a lot of wrong decisions with the puck. His closest player comparison would probably be Nils Lundkvist, who I liked last year, but I see them just as solid defensemen.

Cozens and Zegras rankings are already explained.

AB13

Apr 29, 2019
Broberg's puck game and lack of east-west game is the reason he's not in the top 10. I see him becoming 10 goal 20 assist kind of D guy who scores his goals by joining the rush at the right time, but the players ranked above him I see having higher upside. Also in some games he has struggled to make a great impact on them.

Hoglander isn't ranked because whenever I've seen him he hasn't impressed. I could rank him because of stats, highlights or hearsay, but that's not how I do these. I rank when I see a player in full games. As it is with everyone else, a lot my rankings are based on international tournaments. I still try to evaluate players on how I see their potential rather than how well they happen to perform at specific events. He is probably the only player out of this list that I could possibly see deserving to be here, but I'm not going to spend time on that. I'm not claiming to be an expert.

For me Soderstrom lacks standout skill you were speaking of. To my knowledge he also has had two concussions this season. I have also seen him in games where he has done a lot of wrong decisions with the puck. His closest player comparison would probably be Nils Lundkvist, who I liked last year, but I see them just as solid defensemen.

Cozens and Zegras rankings are already explained.

Don’t agree with Zegras and Cozens but that has already been talked about enough. I do believe Caufield should be a top 5 pick too because of his great goalscoring and solid all round game.

Broberg really has everything Byram has but with better skating, great stick work, brilliant passing and transition game, a good shot and strong physique.

Söderström has far more offensive upside than Lundqvist, which has been evident at every junior game. The reason he couldn’t put up more points in the SHL is due to a lack of Ice Time. I don’t see huge upside in him either but he is a very safe pick.

Höglander impresses me every time I watch him, he is a brilliant skater and could be one of the most skilled players in the draft, he is very creative and always finds brilliant passes and scoring chances. His IQ is great and he is physically strong for his size. Höglander is a top 15 pick in my eyes.

jvr32

Oct 24, 2016
Don’t agree with Zegras and Cozens but that has already been talked about enough. I do believe Caufield should be a top 5 pick too because of his great goalscoring and solid all round game.

Broberg really has everything Byram has but with better skating, great stick work, brilliant passing and transition game, a good shot and strong physique.

Söderström has far more offensive upside than Lundqvist, which has been evident at every junior game. The reason he couldn’t put up more points in the SHL is due to a lack of Ice Time. I don’t see huge upside in him either but he is a very safe pick.

Höglander impresses me every time I watch him, he is a brilliant skater and could be one of the most skilled players in the draft, he is very creative and always finds brilliant passes and scoring chances. His IQ is great and he is physically strong for his size. Höglander is a top 15 pick in my eyes.
I don't think Caufield's game will be entirely translatable to the NHL right now and that's why I wouldn't have him in top 5. He doesn't really make players around him better with his passing and vision, although he does have great puck skills and a good IQ so he can obviously keep up. Also I've noticed sometimes he has straight cheated on D coverage to get on the breakaway and that has helped to boost his goal scoring, and don't see that always boding so well in the NHL. Also there's size and physicality questions which will rise when opponents are playing trap and collapse in front of their net. I feel his success will depend on a lot on the service he will be getting from his line mates and whether they can hide his weaknesses. His wrist shot is elite though and that's what will translate. I was going back and forth between my rankings between Boldy, Podkolzin and Newhook in the 9-12 positions, but eventually I put Caufield last, since I see those three impacting the game in ways I like better.

I really don't see any area where Broberg is clearly better than Byram. Maybe physicality, but it's not like Broberg's very imposing. Byram's puck skills are from a completely different level, he's more well-rounded skater and his puck moving in the offensive zone is also much better than Broberg's.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad