My February 2011 Mock Draft

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by R S, Feb 17, 2011.

1. R S

R S @avs_tweets

scout
    Been working on this on my day off today. Damn is it tough to get finalized. Lots of tough calls, mostly later in the first round. Well, here it is:

1. :edmonton – Adam Larsson - The Oilers can’t pass on the chance to draft a franchise defenseman.

2. :sens – Ryan Nugent-Hopkins – The most talented offensive forward in the draft, and the Sens will have a great 1-2 punch with Spezza and RNH.

3. :isles – Sean Couturier – The best two way forward in the draft and a big body. Will be a nice fit on their second line behind Tavares.

4. :devils – Gabriel Landeskog – A great overall player who should fit into the Devils top six for years to come.

5. :panthers – Ryan Strome – The Panthers still lack game changers up front. Strome can be that long term.

6. :bruins – Dougie Hamilton – The Bruins pass on Ryan Murphy and take the bigger, slick skating two way defender in the Alex Pietrangelo mold.

7. :avs – Duncan Siemens – The Avs fill a massive franchise hole by taking the meanest and toughest defender in the draft in Duncan Siemens.

8. :blues – Tyler Biggs -- The big, tough power forward will add more size to the Blues top 6. Could turn into a Chris Stewart-type of player.

9. :thrashers – Mika Zibanejad – The big and physical centre should be a nice fit for the Thrahers down the road.

10. :sabres – Jonathan Huberdeau – The Sabres laugh all the way to the bank as Huberdeau slides to them at 10th. They need the infusion of talent down the middle.

11. :canes – Brandon Saad – Carolina adds a big American winger who remains a pretty big question mark.

12. :cbj – Scott Mayfield – With players like Brassard and Voracek up front, the Jackets still need to add to their defensive core. Mayfield does that.

13. :rangers – Ryan Murphy – For me, it’s either Boston or the Rangers that grab him in the first 13 picks. Boston chooses Hamilton and the best offensive defender in the draft goes for a bit of a slide to 13th.

14. :hawks – Matt Puempel – The sniper has had an up and down 2 seasons, but Chicago is happy to grab him.

15. :wild – Joel Armia – The big, rangy and raw goal scorer will be a great fit alongside 2010 draft pick Mikael Granlund.

16. :kings – Alex Khokhlachev – The Kings continue to add offense to their team by taking the dynamic and slick Russian.

17. :flames – Mark McNeill – McNeill’s game fits the city and the team’s profile. The gritty two way centre could be a great fit for the Flames second line down the road.

18. :stars – David Musil – The Stars hop at the chance to draft the safe, but unspectacular defense-first defender.

19. :ducks – Ty Rattie – The Ducks are more than comfortable taking a very slick offensive player in Rattie.

20. :sharks – Jamie Oleksiak – The Sharks continue to have nice pieces up front on their roster, but Oleksiak could be a game changer on their back end for years to come.

21. :sens – Sven Bartschi – After adding RNH, the Sens are more than happy to bring in an excellent all-round winger in Bartschi.

22. :coyotes – Mark Scheifele – The Coyotes add more size and two way play to their forward crop with the addition of the Barrie Colts 6’3 centre.

23. :habs – Nathan Beaulieu – The Canadiens have a hard time passing on the slick two way defender with the French name. Haha.

24. :bruins – Matthew Nieto – The Bruins snap up the speedster who plays at Boston University.

2. R S

R S @avs_tweets

scout
    25. :caps – Nicklas Jensen – Arguably the most talented player ever out of Denmark should fit nicely with the high flying capitals.

26. :bolts – Rocco Grimaldi – No arguing that this guy is in the upper echelon skillwise, but who takes a chance on his size? It’s Tampa at 26.

27. :wings – JT Miller – Could be a bit of a long term project. Wings have the time to wait for Miller.

28. :pens – Shane Prince – A nice offensive player on the wing, something the Pens will need more of in the future.

29. :leafs – Daniel Catenacci – Leafs take the fastest player in the draft who is also good both ways and great on the PK. A safe pick for the Leafs.

30. :nucks – Myles Bell – Vancouver adds one of the best offensive defenseman in the draft with this goal scorer out of Regina.

HM’s – Tomas Jurco, Oscar Klefbom, Dmitri Jaskin, Richard Rakell, Vlad Namestnikov, Victor Rask, Zack Phillips, Colin Jacobs, Nick Shore and Chris Gibson

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  3. Hans Moleman

Hans Moleman Was saying Boortuzzi

Not a bad draft. That is assuming Zibanejad is going to keep rising and Rask is going to keep falling.

4. R S

R S @avs_tweets

scout
    Keeping Rask off was tough. I almost gave him to the Wings late.

5. SuperSaiyanBeastmode

SuperSaiyanBeastmode Registered User

I agree with everything except that jensen should be higher, and new jersey will be picking hamilton if they don't play themselves out of the top 6, solid job overall though.

6. The Hulk

The Hulk ....

Jurco should at least be a HM

7. Gagnefan924

Gagnefan924 Registered User

Thiers alot of teams that will grab Murphy before 13...Columbus, I hope, being one of them.

8. CBJWennberg10

CBJWennberg10 Most Positive CBJ poster

Jackets wouldn't pass on Murphy.

9. Kid Dynamite

Kid Dynamite 5 14 6 1

I really have a feeling that's where he is going to go. Good list, hard to predict someone like Murphy sliding though it could very well happen. I don't see him getting past Columbus though imo.

10. NWAvsFan

NWAvsFan Registered User

IT
    Is Siemens a little bit of a reach at 7?

11. fong p88

fong p88 Registered User

I wouldn't say so. Guys a mean SOB who can put points up as well. I'd take him over Murphy.

12. S E P H

S E P H @SEPH_WHL

WHL
    I like Murphy falling. IMO there's a chance that he will.

Zibanejad is a bit high imo. I could see the Pens take Prince that high.

Very solid though.

13. Jeffrey

Jeffrey Registered User

Home Page:
    Horrible habs draft pick !

14. Akonite

Akonite Registered User

Why is Victor Rask falling like this?

15. Boston

Boston Captain Chara

Says who?

16. Black and Blue

Black and Blue Armchair GM

Nice:yo:

17. R S

R S @avs_tweets

scout
    Baha...my bad.

18. Rare Jewel

Rare Jewel Patience

Good stuff.

As a Leaf fan though, I'd be rather go with Rask or Jenner.

19. zjh

zjh @ZenonHerasymiuk

Student
    Lookin good, how much bias went into the Avs pick :) but a solid list, at the end of the day I think Bell goes higher-and I wouldn't exactly call him an all offense guy- he is a 2 way guy.

20. CantHaveTkachev

CantHaveTkachev call on me

man I hope the Oilers finished 2nd and "settle" for RNH

21. R S

R S @avs_tweets

scout
    Lots of bias went into the Avs pick :laugh:

As for Bell, the kid still has some major defensive flaws in his game. He tends to get caught up ice a fair bit and isn't great in defensive zone coverage. He is nice and physical, though.

22. R S

R S @avs_tweets

scout
    Yeah, the Oil are in an interesting spot.

They absolutely could use a rock like Larsson, but RNH is a very good fit for them. Hell, even SC would be good for them. It will be interesting to see what they do if they end up picking 1st.

23. txomisc

txomisc Registered User

self-employed
    Home Page:
    I hope the stars would take a swing at oleksiak over musil if hes still on the board. We need a homerun, not safe or unspectacular.

24. Lord Helix

Lord Helix CarvinSigX

I believe St. Louis rolls the dice and doesn't go for a player that COULD be like Chris Stewart. They'll go for the guy that COULD be like Parise. In that kind of ball park anyway.

25. JeromeHP

JeromeHP Registered User Sponsor

Home Page:
    my gosh what a steal by the Sabres lol

why ? Beaulieu is solid pick and he's rank in top10 Mckeens & FC i believe