My February 2011 Mock Draft

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Been working on this on my day off today. Damn is it tough to get finalized. Lots of tough calls, mostly later in the first round. Well, here it is:

1. :edmonton – Adam Larsson - The Oilers can’t pass on the chance to draft a franchise defenseman.

2. :sens – Ryan Nugent-Hopkins – The most talented offensive forward in the draft, and the Sens will have a great 1-2 punch with Spezza and RNH.

3. :isles – Sean Couturier – The best two way forward in the draft and a big body. Will be a nice fit on their second line behind Tavares.

4. :devils – Gabriel Landeskog – A great overall player who should fit into the Devils top six for years to come.

5. :panthers – Ryan Strome – The Panthers still lack game changers up front. Strome can be that long term.

6. :bruins – Dougie Hamilton – The Bruins pass on Ryan Murphy and take the bigger, slick skating two way defender in the Alex Pietrangelo mold.

7. :avs – Duncan Siemens – The Avs fill a massive franchise hole by taking the meanest and toughest defender in the draft in Duncan Siemens.

8. :blues – Tyler Biggs -- The big, tough power forward will add more size to the Blues top 6. Could turn into a Chris Stewart-type of player.

9. :thrashers – Mika Zibanejad – The big and physical centre should be a nice fit for the Thrahers down the road.

10. :sabres – Jonathan Huberdeau – The Sabres laugh all the way to the bank as Huberdeau slides to them at 10th. They need the infusion of talent down the middle.

11. :canes – Brandon Saad – Carolina adds a big American winger who remains a pretty big question mark.

12. :cbj – Scott Mayfield – With players like Brassard and Voracek up front, the Jackets still need to add to their defensive core. Mayfield does that.

13. :rangers – Ryan Murphy – For me, it’s either Boston or the Rangers that grab him in the first 13 picks. Boston chooses Hamilton and the best offensive defender in the draft goes for a bit of a slide to 13th.

14. :hawks – Matt Puempel – The sniper has had an up and down 2 seasons, but Chicago is happy to grab him.

15. :wild – Joel Armia – The big, rangy and raw goal scorer will be a great fit alongside 2010 draft pick Mikael Granlund.

16. :kings – Alex Khokhlachev – The Kings continue to add offense to their team by taking the dynamic and slick Russian.

17. :flames – Mark McNeill – McNeill’s game fits the city and the team’s profile. The gritty two way centre could be a great fit for the Flames second line down the road.

18. :stars – David Musil – The Stars hop at the chance to draft the safe, but unspectacular defense-first defender.

19. :ducks – Ty Rattie – The Ducks are more than comfortable taking a very slick offensive player in Rattie.

20. :sharks – Jamie Oleksiak – The Sharks continue to have nice pieces up front on their roster, but Oleksiak could be a game changer on their back end for years to come.

21. :sens – Sven Bartschi – After adding RNH, the Sens are more than happy to bring in an excellent all-round winger in Bartschi.

22. :coyotes – Mark Scheifele – The Coyotes add more size and two way play to their forward crop with the addition of the Barrie Colts 6’3 centre.

23. :habs – Nathan Beaulieu – The Canadiens have a hard time passing on the slick two way defender with the French name. Haha.

24. :bruins – Matthew Nieto – The Bruins snap up the speedster who plays at Boston University.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
25. :caps – Nicklas Jensen – Arguably the most talented player ever out of Denmark should fit nicely with the high flying capitals.

26. :bolts – Rocco Grimaldi – No arguing that this guy is in the upper echelon skillwise, but who takes a chance on his size? It’s Tampa at 26.

27. :wings – JT Miller – Could be a bit of a long term project. Wings have the time to wait for Miller.

28. :pens – Shane Prince – A nice offensive player on the wing, something the Pens will need more of in the future.

29. :leafs – Daniel Catenacci – Leafs take the fastest player in the draft who is also good both ways and great on the PK. A safe pick for the Leafs.

30. :nucks – Myles Bell – Vancouver adds one of the best offensive defenseman in the draft with this goal scorer out of Regina.

HM’s – Tomas Jurco, Oscar Klefbom, Dmitri Jaskin, Richard Rakell, Vlad Namestnikov, Victor Rask, Zack Phillips, Colin Jacobs, Nick Shore and Chris Gibson

Last edited:

Hans Moleman

Was saying Boortuzzi
Apr 4, 2004
FTW
Not a bad draft. That is assuming Zibanejad is going to keep rising and Rask is going to keep falling.

SuperSaiyanBeastmode

May 20, 2010
Ontario
I agree with everything except that jensen should be higher, and new jersey will be picking hamilton if they don't play themselves out of the top 6, solid job overall though.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I like Murphy falling. IMO there's a chance that he will.

Zibanejad is a bit high imo. I could see the Pens take Prince that high.

Very solid though.

zjh

@ZenonHerasymiuk
Jan 24, 2011
AB88
Lookin good, how much bias went into the Avs pick :) but a solid list, at the end of the day I think Bell goes higher-and I wouldn't exactly call him an all offense guy- he is a 2 way guy.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Lookin good, how much bias went into the Avs pick :) but a solid list, at the end of the day I think Bell goes higher-and I wouldn't exactly call him an all offense guy- he is a 2 way guy.

Lots of bias went into the Avs pick :laugh:

As for Bell, the kid still has some major defensive flaws in his game. He tends to get caught up ice a fair bit and isn't great in defensive zone coverage. He is nice and physical, though.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
man I hope the Oilers finished 2nd and "settle" for RNH

Yeah, the Oil are in an interesting spot.

They absolutely could use a rock like Larsson, but RNH is a very good fit for them. Hell, even SC would be good for them. It will be interesting to see what they do if they end up picking 1st.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
I believe St. Louis rolls the dice and doesn't go for a player that COULD be like Chris Stewart. They'll go for the guy that COULD be like Parise. In that kind of ball park anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad