My Early 2014 QMJHL draft (October 14, 2013)

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Most of the Quebec guys I have only seen once or twice so far, will be seeing them more in 3 weeks.

1. Mitchell Balmas—F—Cape Tradesman 6’01/168 11 08 13 21 Amazing hands and pin point shooting with a great array of shots and a great release, excellent passing and playmaking as well, Balmas takes over offensive, he has great strength himself, excellent hockey sense, good on the rush, he is going to be a QMJHL star and future NHLer, he has all star talent and size.
2. Michael Campoli—D—Lac St Louis 6’02/177 04 00 00 00 Has all the tools to be amazing, he is a smooth skater, smart passer, great open ice hitter, physical, aggressive, very smart, great in own end, in order to keep this number two ranking though he has to be a more dominant two way defender, he has the talent right now he is going 2nd because all the talent in the world is there. He is hurt right now.
3. Evan Fitzpatrick—G—Newbridge 6’03/180 03 02 1.40 .959 This guy is one of the most amazing goalies I have ever watched in Midget, he is big, agile, very smart, athletic, moves super well, Fitzpatrick reminds me of a young Roberto Luongo he is that good, this guy is a franchise goalie.
4. Keith Getson—F—South Shore 6’00/180 11 10 06 17 Strong power forward with great playmaking and passing, nice puck handling, and good shooting, he is strong on the boards and goes to the net, smart player too and goes in own end.
5. Michael O’Leary—F—Salisbury 6’00/155 00 00 00 00 Playing away so he might not get the exposure but this guy is a game breaker in talent, excellent skater, great hockey sense, good puck carrier, excellent passer, great stick handling, exciting to watch, good shooter, excellent two way play.
6. Pascal Laberge—F—Chateauguay 6’01/153 11 11 06 17 Turning out to be a great player, good size, excellent puck handler, great shooting, very smart with and without the puck, knows how to move into scoring opportunities, really takes over in the offensive zone and I have to see more of him, but he looked to be a star in the making.
7. Raphael Santerre—F—Notre Dame 6’00/157 12 06 10 16 I really liked his playmaking ability and ability to find his teammates through traffic, he was very good going to the net, used his size to make rooms, was very smart, excellent ability to draw the other team to him then dish off a great pass and he had a pretty good shot as well.
8. Luke Green—D—Newbridge 6’00/155 11 05 06 11 Had a bad All State game but this guy is really turning into a great offensive defender, he still needs a lot of work on his defensive game but he has great puck skills, excellent passing on the fly, great ability to become the 4th forward and good shooting ability, he just takes too many chances at the moment he has to learn more when to stay back but he has come a long way since bantam last year in his own zone.
9. Brett Crossley—F—Shattuck U16 6’00/160 10 05 10 15 This guy is becoming a great player now, before he was too safe but when i saw him now he has using his size and smarts, controling the tempo of the game, making plays out of nothing, passing through thick crowds and creating a lot of scoring chanses for his teammates, he was skating well, this guy could be a lot higher in this draft, I think he will work his way up even higher.
10. Samuel Girard—D—Jonquire 5’09/156 12 01 11 12 The smartest defender in this draft, he controls the play with the puck better than almost any defender in a long time, he is very precise with his passes and plays like everything is calculated, very smooth skater, smooth bringing the puck out of the zone and great passing off the rush, he creates from the point and is great positionally in his own zone, his only down fall is his size, because if he was 6'00, he would be top 5 easy in this draft.
11. Pierre-Luc Dubois—F—Notre Dame 6’00/153 12 09 06 15 This guy is a great offensive player with good size and developing strength, he has quick puck handling, good in close and in open room, does not need much room to shoot the puck, great hockey sense as well.
12. Miguel Picard—F—Notre Dame 6’00/157 11 06 05 11 Good Size, excellent offensive skills, strong on the puck, was great with the puck attacking in the offensive zone, took good quality shots and followed up on the rebounds, made some good passes as well.
13. Barrett Dachyshyn—F—Halifax 6’04/175 12 05 01 06 Right now he is just starting to get use to midget, he reminds me of a young Frederik Gauthier and I think talent is near the same, he is a very smooth and fast skater for his size, great two way ability, smooth puck skills, good shooter, decent passer but he is super smart, this guy is very good player now and after Christmas im expecting this guy to be a great player.
14. Ryan Brushett—F—Lac St Louis 5’11/160 11 03 03 06 Exciting to watch, agile, good speed, great puck handler, he was passing the puck well, getting some good shots off in the game, thought the game out well, he needs to get stronger I find but his skills are there, I think soon he will just take off in midget.
15. Samuel Guilbault—F—Antoine-Girouard 5’09/161 13 04 06 10 Starting to adapt to midget now, he is very good in the offensive end, very solid hands and passing, decent shooter, has some good moves, agile, very smart, able to take over in the offensive zone, needs to get stronger though, but he has great offensive skills, I would not be shocked to see him be an offensive force in the Q.
16. Lucas Thierus—F—Vikings 5’10/170 13 08 05 13 I really like this guys release on his shot and very good accuracy, he follows rebounds well and is good at tracking the puck, he has good hands, and very good hockey sense with and without the puck.
17. Hunter Moreau—F—LSL Espoir 5’08/162 04 02 02 04 Very fast skater, goes to the net, has a good shot, good passing skills, needs to work on his defensive game a lot and I found his hockey sense is good but not spectacular, he is a good player but speed and puck handling for him IMO have been his whole game.
18. Matt Green—F—Newbridge 5’10/140 11 05 07 12 Really starting to come on now, he is Luke's brother and Matt is really good in the offensive zone, he is decent release on the puck, good passer, smart positioning, does what he has to on the ice, he is a guy who will be a future 2nd to 3rd liner in the QMJHL and a good one.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
19. Charles Taillon—F—Antoine Girard 5’11/162 13 04 06 10
20. Reilly Pickard—G—Halifax 6’00/173 06 00 2.00 .928 Finding his nitch, has great talent in net and showing.
21. Felix Lauzon—F—Magog 5’08/165 09 01 05 06 I find he is not much better since last year and skating is bellow avg.
22. Domenico Argento—D—Montreal Royal 6’02/189 12 02 03 05
23. Alex Arab—F—Cole Harbor 5’10/148 11 07 04 11 Amazing puck handler, very exciting to watch.
24. Gabriel Bilodeau—D—Montreal Royal 6’00/158 12 00 10 10
25. Sam Harvey—G—Jonquiere 5’10/172 00 05 5.00 .842 Great goalie, size is in question, he is shorter than 5'10 have to wait for the real heights and weights to come out, his height though is leaving some gaps up high.
26. Charles-Olivier Ouimet—Conquerants 5’07/148 12 04 01 05
27. Jean Gleizes—F—Toronto Marlies 5’11/160 00 00 00 00 This guy has talent to rise in this draft, exciting forward.
28. Connor Peveril—F—Cole Harbor 5’11/145 11 05 04 09
29. Nicolas Patry-Gingras—D—Gatineau 6’00/175 07 01 00 01 Exprected more, this guy is falling IMO and could keep falling.
30. Peter Abbandonato—F—Montreal Royal 5’09/162 12 01 08 09
31. Julien Tessier—F—Trois Riv 5’10/162 13 02 06 08
32. Gabriel Sylvestre—D—Phenix 6’02/170 12 00 02 02 On the fence with this guy right now, I expected a lot more out of him.
33. Mathieu Jones—F—Gatineau 5’10/157
34. Andrew Murphy—D—St John’s Privat 5’09/141 00 00 00 00 Size and strength is a major issue, but very smart and great skater.
35. Pascal Corbeil—D—Riverians 5’08/159 12 03 10 13 If this guy was 5'11 he would be 1st round easy.
36. Alexander Kateriankis—F—Montreal Royal 5’09/160 12 06 00 06

Last edited:

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
What do you think of Jordan Maher?
he is a guy i have on my sheet to watch at the Monctonian, he is with Centeral Ice Pack I think and have not seen him yet this year, Monctonian is in another month so I will get to see him there, heard some good things and after I see him I might be redoing my early list lol.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
he is a guy i have on my sheet to watch at the Monctonian, he is with Centeral Ice Pack I think and have not seen him yet this year, Monctonian is in another month so I will get to see him there, heard some good things and after I see him I might be redoing my early list lol.

Awesome thanks for the update. Is this one of the qmjhl strongest drafts in recent years?

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Awesome thanks for the update. Is this one of the qmjhl strongest drafts in recent years?

in my opinion it is an amazing top 5......a great 1st round actually.....good up untill mid 2nd round so far then the talent drops off.....i never included some good 97s though that were not drafted yet but one of the better 1st rounds in some time, but I think like i said it is 1st round heavy and good up untill mid to late 2nd then talent drops off a bit.

hab 4ever

Mar 9, 2002
Montréal, Québec
Visit site
Great list as usual, thanks for sharing.

Seems like All-State did not invite the right forwards from Quebec this summer as Brushett, Moreau and Lauzon are all being outplayed by Laberge, Dubois, Santerre, etc.
I am really surprised that Lauzon is not producing more given that offence remains his calling card and he is one of two on your list who is playing his second season in Midget AAA as opposed to being a rookie. By comparison, 2012 All-State was bang on in its Québec invites: both Roys, Beauvilier, Sprong, Gauthier and Booth.

2 quick questions:

1- You have Santerre over Dubois? I have found Dubois a tad more dominant and I'm worried that Santerre, though very productive at every level, will struggle to adapt to the next level due to his below-average skating.

2- How far are Defencemen Guillaume Beck and Jacob Neveu from your top-36? I love Neveu's stay-at-home potential and he is 6'3" whereas what Beck lacks in D zone polish, he makes up with size and offence.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Great list as usual, thanks for sharing.

Seems like All-State did not invite the right forwards from Quebec this summer as Brushett, Moreau and Lauzon are all being outplayed by Laberge, Dubois, Santerre, etc.
I am really surprised that Lauzon is not producing more given that offence remains his calling card and he is one of two on your list who is playing his second season in Midget AAA as opposed to being a rookie. By comparison, 2012 All-State was bang on in its Québec invites: both Roys, Beauvilier, Sprong, Gauthier and Booth.

2 quick questions:

1- You have Santerre over Dubois? I have found Dubois a tad more dominant and I'm worried that Santerre, though very productive at every level, will struggle to adapt to the next level due to his below-average skating.

2- How far are Defencemen Guillaume Beck and Jacob Neveu from your top-36? I love Neveu's stay-at-home potential and he is 6'3" whereas what Beck lacks in D zone polish, he makes up with size and offence.

like i said i have only seen these guys 1 to 2 times so far, so after i see them more I will get better reads on them....Neveu was good but again a stay at home defender are the type you have to see a lot to appricate their game, seeing them once you come away thinking good but.....lol............so after i see Saterre over Dubois maybe once I see them more it will change, never say though a player will have trouble adapting to the next level due to skating, there are a ton of bad skaters who turned out to still produce in the QMJHL, but again lack of seeing them as it is early on right now.

hab 4ever

Mar 9, 2002
Montréal, Québec
Visit site
like i said i have only seen these guys 1 to 2 times so far, so after i see them more I will get better reads on them....Neveu was good but again a stay at home defender are the type you have to see a lot to appricate their game, seeing them once you come away thinking good but.....lol............so after i see Saterre over Dubois maybe once I see them more it will change, never say though a player will have trouble adapting to the next level due to skating, there are a ton of bad skaters who turned out to still produce in the QMJHL, but again lack of seeing them as it is early on right now.

Good point regarding Santerre's skating.

Turning out to be a very interesting draft year.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Good point regarding Santerre's skating.

Turning out to be a very interesting draft year.

what shocks me is all the top quebec bantams are not turning out....Ouimet, Lauzon (thought played midget last year), even Brushette I expected a quicker transition in him you see talent but just has not put it together yet........Sylvester, Patry-Gingras, Hylland, I expected more out of Moreau

Frankie

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
yeah maher is very good. don't know how he compares to the others on your list, but he's very comparable to other kids from the newfoundland midget league who have gone in the first round.

3 Minute Minor

Sep 29, 2009
Balmas is the first high end CB player that has made it through bantam hype successfully lol

Still a long way to go but still

hab 4ever

Mar 9, 2002
Montréal, Québec
Visit site
what shocks me is all the top quebec bantams are not turning out....Ouimet, Lauzon (thought played midget last year), even Brushette I expected a quicker transition in him you see talent but just has not put it together yet........Sylvester, Patry-Gingras, Hylland, I expected more out of Moreau

Indeed. Most of those first year Midget AAA forwards who have been disappointing thus far seem to lack size. Perhaps it has made their transition harder. I saw Hylland as a 3rd-4th round pick who projected as a very good 3rd line forward at the next level so I am not all that shocked. Sylvestre is the big surprise to me. I saw him in Bantam AAA last year and he was looking like a sure-fire first rounder in the QMJHL and yet he has stuggled. In fact, another 1998 D, Guillaume Beck, has taken most of the power-play minutes we could have expected Sylvestre to have. On the other hand, there are the positive surprises. Everyone expected solid play from the CND kids but they have been much more than solid. Laberge came out strong. Depending on Campoli's health and progress after his injury issues and since goalies don't go in the top-10 anymore, I think Laberge could end up in the top-3 when it is all over. The way he plays and his skillset translate perfectly to the next level and perhaps beyond.

PorkChopSandwiches

Oct 31, 2011
Most of the Quebec guys I have only seen once or twice so far, will be seeing them more in 3 weeks.

13. Barrett Dachyshyn—F—Halifax 6’04/175 12 05 01 06 Right now he is just starting to get use to midget, he reminds me of a young Frederik Gauthier and I think talent is near the same, he is a very smooth and fast skater for his size, great two way ability, smooth puck skills, good shooter, decent passer but he is super smart, this guy is very good player now and after Christmas im expecting this guy to be a great player.

Not sure i would describe him as 'smooth', although there is tremendous potential. Last time i saw him he scored a tremendously crafty tip in goal from a slap-pass.

Just as a comparison, he is behind Campbell Pickard if i compare to the same time last year and Pickard dropped in the draft, so i would expect the same here unless the Quebec pics are a lot weaker. He also has an advantage of a late birthday and can come back to midget for another year, still get 2 years of Jr in before any Draft considerations.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Not sure i would describe him as 'smooth', although there is tremendous potential. Last time i saw him he scored a tremendously crafty tip in goal from a slap-pass.

Just as a comparison, he is behind Campbell Pickard if i compare to the same time last year and Pickard dropped in the draft, so i would expect the same here unless the Quebec pics are a lot weaker. He also has an advantage of a late birthday and can come back to midget for another year, still get 2 years of Jr in before any Draft considerations.
I personally see a lot more upside to him especially for this year than Campbell Pickard....and Pickard fell way to low in the draft, im not sure why...but Barrett IMO after xman is going to be one of the best 98s in the league....his size of 6'4 as well will interest teams big time....plus he is a better skater than Pickard was and better in the defensive zone, I think he is better than Pickard myself, but i liked Pickard last year and think teams will be kicking themselves for not taking him.

Kimo

Aug 2, 2013
Indeed. Most of those first year Midget AAA forwards who have been disappointing thus far seem to lack size. Perhaps it has made their transition harder. I saw Hylland as a 3rd-4th round pick who projected as a very good 3rd line forward at the next level so I am not all that shocked. Sylvestre is the big surprise to me. I saw him in Bantam AAA last year and he was looking like a sure-fire first rounder in the QMJHL and yet he has stuggled. In fact, another 1998 D, Guillaume Beck, has taken most of the power-play minutes we could have expected Sylvestre to have. On the other hand, there are the positive surprises. Everyone expected solid play from the CND kids but they have been much more than solid. Laberge came out strong. Depending on Campoli's health and progress after his injury issues and since goalies don't go in the top-10 anymore, I think Laberge could end up in the top-3 when it is all over. The way he plays and his skillset translate perfectly to the next level and perhaps beyond.

Sylvester struggled at the beginning but if you have seen his game lately he seems to be getting it back. What I like is that he has been much more physical in the last few games laying some very solid body checks. Knowing his offensive skills , the coach will surely give him some powerplay time which will help his offensive stats.

Beck is a big surprise this year after all he played bantam AA last year and not AAA. He's really taken advantage of his power play time and playing with a lot of confidence. Very happy for the kid and hope he keeps it up.

hab 4ever

Mar 9, 2002
Montréal, Québec
Visit site
Sylvester struggled at the beginning but if you have seen his game lately he seems to be getting it back. What I like is that he has been much more physical in the last few games laying some very solid body checks. Knowing his offensive skills , the coach will surely give him some powerplay time which will help his offensive stats.

Beck is a big surprise this year after all he played bantam AA last year and not AAA. He's really taken advantage of his power play time and playing with a lot of confidence. Very happy for the kid and hope he keeps it up.

Agreed on Beck, I think he will rise on draft boards in the next few months. He is also a late 1998 so one of the very few youngest players in Midget AAA this year.

Rekus

Dec 7, 2011
Thought I would give this a bump and also thank scout man for his list.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Question for anyone who knows about Evan Fitzpatrick. I noticed on eliteprospects he's played in Nova Scotia the last couple years, but his birthplace is listed as St. John's. Is it a situation where he came to NS to play hockey, or is it that he was born in St. John's, raised in Nova Scotia?

I'm only asking because this looks like it could be the best ever draft for Nova Scotian players, just wondering if Fitzpatrick would be considered one of them, or if he's a Newfoundlander who came here for higher competition.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Question for anyone who knows about Evan Fitzpatrick. I noticed on eliteprospects he's played in Nova Scotia the last couple years, but his birthplace is listed as St. John's. Is it a situation where he came to NS to play hockey, or is it that he was born in St. John's, raised in Nova Scotia?

I'm only asking because this looks like it could be the best ever draft for Nova Scotian players, just wondering if Fitzpatrick would be considered one of them, or if he's a Newfoundlander who came here for higher competition.

Played for NFLD at ACC

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad