My dumb hockey questions

BrockH

Nov 12, 2008
Toronto, ON
2. A bag skate is where the coach has every player skate lines (goal line, blue line, red line, blue line, goal line). When I played hockey and when we did a bag skate, we started on the goal line, skated to the blue line (stop), skate back to the goal line (stop), skate to the red line back to goal line and keeping do this until you've gone goal line to goal line. I'm sure NHL coaches have different variations though.

Not really. That is one drill that can be used as part of a bag skate. Typically it's referred to as ladders or skating lines. As has been noted, a bag skate is generally any scenario where the coach invokes excessive skating drills without pucks. Usually it's viewed as a kind of extreme conditioning practice that is punishment for poor play. I was on plenty of teams though where we would do 1 or 2 ladders at the start or end of every practice, and it was never considered a bag skate, just regular conditioning.

For the rest, the term streaky is a relative one in hockey.

Some fans handle rivalries in different ways. I love beating the Hawks, but I still respect them as a team (except Kane - but that has nothing to do with his on ice play). Teams I dislike usually it has to do with the system they play or style of hockey. There are also players I dislike (e.g. Ribeiro). My dislike for a team is generally independent of any rivalry they might have with the Canucks. To my mind, if you suddenly started hating the Bruins after we met them in the playoffs then either you had never watched them before, or else you're just irrational (though some people would probably argue rationality has no place in hockey).

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Yeah the streaky scorer thing bothers me. There are basically no players that play on a consistent level and score 20-25 goals. They are basically, to a tee, players that if could play their best all the time would be 30-40 goal scorers or 10-15 goal scorers who got "good bounces".
Burrows?

Also, since when does consistency have anything to do with playing your best all the time? You aren't streaky if you're a reliable player who you can reasonably expect a certain level of play from on most nights, and you're streaky if, from a game-to-game basis, your effectiveness chart sporadically shoots up and down.

There is zero issue with the term, IMO.

hlrsr

Sep 16, 2006
And while we're at it Blob, why is a shot that hits the post not statistically considered a shot?

If a shot hits the net then it must have been on the net. Amirite?

I was going to answer this by saying it keeps the "shots = goals + saves" formula easy..

.. but is this always true? If I shoot the puck into my own net, does the guy who gets credit for the goal also get credit for a shot on net?

Scottrockztheworld*

4533894183_965b0a3de0_o.jpg

Apparently they aim their shots on net but the puck fails to get half way there:sarcasm:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad