My dream league: unique categories and weighting, no goalies, dynasty, 2-week doubleheaders

victorwithclass

Nov 18, 2020
I've dabbled in hockey DFS over the years but have never gone full-season and I want to dive in this year. I've had success in creating a soccer fantasy, category-based league that personally I think is brilliant and a ton of fun and want to bring that to hockey. The key is of course finding owners who will dive in as well and I want to hear from you guys good ideas, bad ideas and if you are interested.

My ideas:
  1. --Category based league. Each matchup there are 10 wins up for grabs: 2 for goals, 2 for assists, then 1 each for hits, blocks, shots on goal, CORSI, takeaways and shutouts (for skaters). This kind of fantasy setup makes for a much more strategic game as way more and different players have value and you can re-jigger your team much easier to be competitive, but it still highly values those guys who get Goals and Assists.
  1. --Multiple matchups at once: I'm envisioning you play 2 week matchups (instead of the regular one-week) but playing double, triple or quintuple headers depending on how large the league is. So your dominant week in blocked shots isn't wasted facing the team who finished last in blocked shots.

2. --Deep rosters: with so many scoring categories, there is depth and strategy everywhere so something like a 15-player starting lineup (3 C, 6 W, 6 D) and 5 man bench is my idea with as many owners as we can get who will be serious about it.
  1. --Dynasty and auction. Auction is much fairer than a draft and sets up for a dynasty league very well: salaries can be set and each year you keep a player you add $3 or $4 to that initial salary.
  2. --Minor league slots. This was a fun part of a past soccer league I did, but each team can have a few minor leaguers on their rosters.

How the scoring system values players:

I've excel figured who has been the best players over the past two years and it looks like this in our scoring system:

1. Auston Matthews
2. Mark Stone
3. Connor McDavid
4. Nikita Kucherov
5. Nathan Mackinnon
6. David Pastrnak
7. Alex Ovechkin
8. Brent Burns
9. Evgeni Malkin
10. Kris Letang
11. Sebastian Aho
12. Mika Zibenejad
13. John Carlson
14. Leon Draisaitl
15. Patrice Bergeron
16. Roman Josi
17. Brad Marchand
18. Mark Giordano
19. Dougie Hamilton
20. Mitchell Marner

in the top 50 NHL highest paid players it is 34 forwards, 16 defensemen so I wanted a scoring system to match that.

Among top 48 players the last 2 years the breakdown is

2020: 34 forwards, 16 defensemen
2019: 39 forwards, 11 defensemen

so somewhat close

Let me know what you think of this idea and if you are interested in playing or have suggestions. I just want people who will care about their teams and the league to join and hope it will be fun!

Last edited:

victorwithclass

Nov 18, 2020
how the league begins

Slack Auction. 20 players are put up for auction on Day 1...24 hours later the auctions end highest bidder gets the player and their salary is the price paid, the cap is $250

if you win a player, you put another up for auction.

how the league turns over

after the season you decide which players you want to keep. I don't want this to get out of hand where it get too complicated or where teams can rule the league forever without any sweat so my current idea is this:

-you can keep every player if you want
-but each players price rises $3 every year if they play 10+ games in the NHL (otherwise it stays the same)
-so if you get a star (think Mitchell Marner, worth roughly $40 which is top 30 value) for a discount price, you can probably get 4 or 5 years of value out of him before it becomes a tough decision. If you pay up for Crosby and he delivers what you paid for, it becomes tough to decide next year if you want to keep him or not. If you get a free agent/cheap draft pick for $1, and they are producing like a middle of the pack starter, you have 4-5 years of value on them as well.

but in the end you won't be able to keep your dominant team together year after year as if you wanted to keep all 18 (assuming your minors players all stay in the minors), you'd have to pay $54 more than the year before, and that just won't work with the cap.

the next years auction includes all players new to the NHL plus all players not kept. It will not have everyone with $250, but varying amounts of cap space across the league

Last edited:

victorwithclass

Nov 18, 2020
a few histories of players according to this scoring system
ihOl64j.png

MxDFqNb.png

9SfvRlu.png

kg5uvDu.png

aanSC8e.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad