My Crazy [?] Comparisons

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
It just occurred to me; this is the year that I've been watching hockey for forty years. I remember watching the Islander v. Ranger series on my grandmother's 13 inch color TV in her tiny living room before moving to the eastern part of Kings Park in July of 1979. The people who we bought our new house from, also Islander fans. They hadn't won a Cup yet, but the team was loved.

Anyway, all that side, I'm really enjoying this season. Maybe because they are far exceeding expectations of many. As far as the feel of this season goes, it feels similar to the 89-90 season or the 91-92 season more so than 92-93, per se, but this team is bringing back memories.

That said, there are some players that I'd like to compare to other players insofar as who they remind me of. This is not a direct comparison. I'm not claiming that these players are clones, but these players remind me of other players. I don't care who wants to agree and who wants to argue, it's just a fun thing.

So, here we go:

1. Mat Barzal - Pat LaFontaine; but also Adam Oates, Denis Savard, and Steve Yzerman. Sometimes Joe Sakic.

2. Anthony Beauvillier - Once he finishes putting on NHL muscle, a mild-mannered Mark Messier
3. Devon Toews - Early comparison; Sergei Zubov
4. Ryan Pulok - Still hoping for Al MacInnis, but still has too much Marc-Andre Bergeron in him.
5. Anders Lee - Tim Kerr, but needs better linemates to be more like Tim Kerr.
6. Brock Nelson - Get a real #2 center, and he could be Joel Otto.
7. Adam Pelech - Dennis Vaske (I like Vaske better)
8. Nick Leddy - I once thought he was our version of Duncan Keith, but he needs a real partner.
9. Johnny Boychuck - A better version of Scott Mayfield.
10. Scott Mayfield - A worse version of Johnny Boychuck. Somebody once said Uwe Krupp, but I don't see that at all.

11. Casey Cizikas - Kris Draper
12. Matt Martin - Randy McKay
13. Cal Clutterbuck - Kevin Dineen with 1/2 the points
14. Thomas Hickey - Discount Wade Redden
15. Valtteri Filppula - Weird Frans [Nielsen] (my favorite nickname in hockey history).
16. Jordan Eberle - Right handed Don Maloney
17. Michael Dal Colle - Left handed Brad Dalgarno... for now, but I'm seeing improvements.
18. Josh Bailey - Vincent Damphhousse (This is generous. Bailey's playing OK, but sometimes I wonder where his head is when he's on the ice)
19. Leo Komarov - Kirk Maltby who doesn't fight

The goalies are playing great. As long as they stop pucks, I don't care who they look like.

Reactions: Olliemets

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
I don't agree... on a few of these. But the Pulock one is egregious. Pulock is 100x the defenseman MAB was. Sure he hasn't been the Macinnis slapshot machine we all hoped for, but he's turning into a hell of a two way defenseman instead.

Reactions: bigtim1988

brachyrynchos

Apr 10, 2017
Brock Nelson to Joel Otto we could all wish this. Otto was one of the more intense players in the nhl.
Fantastic at faceoffs, too. I read recently that Otto owes much of his career to Messier, matched up against each other in Alberta they had an intense on ice rivalry.

Reactions: thedonger

BarBeauWahlDobLok

Sep 5, 2014
AB and Messier shouldn't even be placed in the same sentence sorry.

First Amendment. There is nothing libelous or otherwise defamatory. The subject line protects all its following opinions whether one concurs or descents.

It's good to be bullet proof. Carry on, young man.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
- Barzal reminds me most of Pavel Datsyuk. If Barzal can figure out how to load up for a shot without compromising his stickhandling/passing, he could be as good offensively. He has plenty of time. He could also be as good defensively.

- Have always said that Josh Bailey reminds me of Mike Ridley

- Anders Lee is a poor man's John LeClair

- Brock Nelson doesn't remind me of anyone other than Beeker.

- As you said, one couldn't find more similar players than Nielsen and Filppula. It's almost eerie how similar their careers have been.

Reactions: bigtim1988

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
For you older folks, Anders Lee’s comparable is Tim Kerr. A big body that could plant himself in the low slot and put in goals, bat them out of the air, deflect shots, and screen the goalie.

Last edited:

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
Dave Andreychuk, IMO.
I see that too. And re: the concern over signing Lee long-term, Andreychuk scored goals well into his 30s. I could see the same thing with Lee. He's not abusing his body - he's just huge. And he doesn't rely on incredible wheels. You kinda think he'll be able to do what he's doing now when he's 35.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
Brock Nelson ~ Derek King
Similarities do exist.

From a stats standpoint Brock has outperformed King early in his career but would love to see Brock get close to a point per game player.

Season 6 King put up career numbers 40-38-78
followed by 38-38-76 and 30-40-70

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad