my computer monitor recently started flickering black why is this happening?

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I would understand if it was an old computer, if that were the case I'd just assume it was dying like my TV was when the screen started flickering white.

But I only got it in Febuary, maybe even early march but I think it was Febuary so it's not an old laptop

I flicks black, then it goes back to normal almost instantly and then it's fine but it's happened a couple times now

why is this happening?

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
Could be your hdni cable or the HDMI port. Get a new cable and if that doesn't work use a different HDMI port.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
it has only happened so far when I am on facebook or youtube

I don't know if that has anything to do with it or if that is just coinidence

I do know that the youtube video I was just watching froze, cut out acreen went black and when I closed youtube downit was fine again.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Update your graphics card drivers. I had a similar issue earlier this year. The screen (specifically, the top third of it) would flick black every so often and it seemed to happen only in YouTube. It was fixed in a driver update.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The entire screen when black and I had to restart my laptop I got a feeling this thing is going to the dump

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
If it's a laptop that's what manufacturer warranties are for. I thought you were talking about a desktop PC, I would just return it though.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
I would understand if it was an old computer, if that were the case I'd just assume it was dying like my TV was when the screen started flickering white.

But I only got it in Febuary, maybe even early march but I think it was Febuary so it's not an old laptop

I flicks black, then it goes back to normal almost instantly and then it's fine but it's happened a couple times now

why is this happening?

This is a pretty common thing that happens when a display switches between resolutions. It can also happen when displays switch between an HDR and non-HDR signal, but HDR displays are pretty rare in PCs/Laptops.

What type of videocard is in the computer, and does the driver come with its own little program that sits on your taskbar? Your video card may be trying to force a resolution or feature that's creating a conflict. If you have such a program on your task bar, I'd go into task manager and quit out of it to see if the issue stops.

You can try returning it, but my first instinct is this is a software issue, not a hardware issue.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
The entire screen when black and I had to restart my laptop I got a feeling this thing is going to the dump

When you adjust the screen on its hinge, does the picture go in and out? In other words, can you make the picture go out or come back by opening or closing the lid a little? If so, then that suggests a problem with the ribbon that connects the display to the motherboard. Another thing to try is to hold one of the top corners while very gently pushing or pulling on the other corner to induce a little flex in the display. If that makes it go in or out, then you probably have a problem with the display, itself. If either are the case, then you should definitely return the laptop. If neither is the case, then that's good news and it may just be a software issue. Like I said before, definitely update the graphics driver.

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
It may be going into a sleep mode. Google your laptop model and manufacturer and black screen. It may be something else than it being on it's last legs.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
can it fix itself? it just happened again for a second by prior to this most recent time it hadn't happened in over 2 weeks, or at least I hadn't seen it for the over 2 weeks, I guess it's possible it happened while I slept

aleshemsky83

Apr 8, 2008
can it fix itself? it just happened again for a second by prior to this most recent time it hadn't happened in over 2 weeks, or at least I hadn't seen it for the over 2 weeks, I guess it's possible it happened while I slept
Tbh you should record it and upload because it's not really clear what it is you're describing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad