My Childhood heroes are slipping away.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
What an awesome thread. Memories as a kid are great but memories as an adult are also great in a different way. It's nice to see all the young fans enjoying this run and if the holy grail could ever be won the whole city wins!

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
Got the same memories. Doesn't
look the long ago though

It sure doesn’t. Seems like yesterday. The older I get, the more I realize that time makes no sense at all. The best thing to do is to ignore it, and enjoy the present, and these Jets are making it really easy to do, this season.

cbcwpg

May 18, 2010
Between the Pipes
The title says why...

Childhood Heroes

The feelings are totally different because with the Jets 1.0 your were a child or a younger person and you looked up to the players. They were your heroes. As an older person it's now different. For myself I was the same age or slightly younger as the players that were playing for the Jets 1.0 so I could relate to them as heroes. But now I'm old enough to be their father. I appreciate them for the talents they have and the chance I have to watch them win, but they will never be my heroes.... they will be my son's.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skidooboy

Aavco Cup

"I can make you cry in this room"
Sep 5, 2013
I think my fondest hockey memory is still the very first Avco Cup win. That series sweep was unexpected. I think everyone expected a long tough series. The Aeros were favoured and had home ice advantage. To be in the building as the Jets won the championship in a 9-1 non stress blow out was an amazing thing to see as a 13 year old. I remember the building being very loud. It was only 10,000 seats then.

Packofwolves

Nov 5, 2017
It sure doesn’t. Seems like yesterday. The older I get, the more I realize that time makes no sense at all. The best thing to do is to ignore it, and enjoy the present, and these Jets are making it really easy to do, this season.

You can be sure that's what I'm doing. Will be disappointed if we
don't win the Stanley cup. But gonna be unreal if we do win cup.

Gnova

CowboysR^2
Sep 6, 2011
Jetland
I never understood the love for Chi Chi's. While Mexican food is so flavourful, Chi Chi's was always as bland as bland could be.

That's coming from the 18 year old me, long before my tastes were further refined.

I could imagine describing it as slop these days were it still around.

Chi Chi's served me when I was still 16 so it had that going for it.

Edgar Halliwax

aka Marvin Candle
Sep 23, 2011
Winnipeg
I vividly remember buying seats in the ‘grey’ section in the mid-late 70’s (The top two rows in the old barn). Imagine paying $2.50 to see Hull, Hedberg and Nilsson! In those days I knew we were never outmatched. I feel the same way now. Don’t feel sad about that, all good memories.

Reactions: GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
With the exception of the 84-85 version of the 1.0 Jets, they were never that great. Most seasons, they were mediocre at best, and even though I was too young to remember, their first two season were horrible. The Jets even went through some dark years in the Mike Smith era, especially 1993-95. The only time the Jets could have made a serious run at the Cup, they were in the same division as the Oilers, and their star player Dale Hawerchuk was injured in the first round.

The 2017-18 Jets is the best team ever iced by a Winnipeg NHL team. The difference between 84-85 and today, is the current Jets have more depth in every position, and a elite goaltender (Hayward was the 1985 equivalent of Pavelec). As long as we can knock off Nashville, and remain healthy, I have no doubt we will win the Conference.

I like your post Jets 4 Life-- but I'm not so sure that we'll win the Conference for sure, if we get past Nashville ?? -- I hope so. I have to say that Vegas team looks pretty tight, and really good, and play as a team. No super stars, but a bunch of above average players that play as a team together. It's hard to beat that kind of team effort.

What I think we'll happen-- the Jet's will win Thursday night and give them a 3-1 series lead, and I believe Nashville will win the next one at home. In the remaining 2 games, I believe the Jet's will win one of those and advance to the Conference final. I guess we'll see what happens--I'd love to see the Jet's win the next 2 straight up.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
I like your post Jets 4 Life-- but I'm not so sure that we'll win the Conference for sure, if we get past Nashville ?? -- I hope so. I have to say that Vegas team looks pretty tight, and really good, and play as a team. No super stars, but a bunch of above average players that play as a team together. It's hard to beat that kind of team effort.
What I think we'll happen-- the Jet's will win Thursday night and give them a 3-1 series lead, and I believe Nashville will win the next one at home. In the remaining 2 games, I believe the Jet's will win one of those and advance to the Conference final. I guess we'll see what happens--I'd love to see the Jet's win the next 2 straight up.

Pardon the pun, but do not be so quick to bet on Vegas being in the Conference Final. The Sharks soundly defeated them 4-0 and now have evened the series at 2-2. Having said that, if the Jets get past Nashville, we will defeat the winner of the Knights/Sharks series.

Reactions: larmex99 and GNP

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
Pardon the pun, but do not be so quick to bet on Vegas being in the Conference Final. The Sharks soundly defeated them 4-0 and now have evened the series at 2-2. Having said that, if the Jets get past Nashville, we will defeat the winner of the Knights/Sharks series.

Your right Jets4Life--when I made that post I did not see that 4-0 shutout by the Sharks over Vegas. Looking like that series could go either way ??

Same with this Jet's series--if the Jet's win this game tonight and go up 3-1 --they likely will win the series--I'd say 80% chance in favor of the Jets.

If Nashville wins--entirely different story--then it's a 50-50 tossup--and as they say in the Sports world-- "who wants it more" -- " who will take the pain" and empty the tank--that will determine the winner. We have 2 very good determined teams.

Let's hope Helle has a "lights out game" and the Jet's take this 4-th game and go up 3 games to 1 -- then I'll feel like the Jets will win this series. This will be a hard fought game, as the Preds will be fighting for their lives.

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I get it Skid. There will never be a time like we had with the original Jets though. The old arena was very special. Thankfully there are many good days ahead. I will cry the day the cup comes home!
i'm friends with a former Jet. 2 days ago, we were talking about the old arenas and what kind of dumps they were. but they were dumps with character.

memories are just that: memories.
in 1990, the Oilers came back to beat a Jets team that was, to be honest, pretty ungreat. ducky, steen and a great D. but the forwards were horrible. Greg Paslawski, Brent Ashton, Paul MacDiarmed, Doug Smail, Paul Fenton...i mean, yeah. and the style of hockey they played pales skillwise to what we see today.

sometimes you have to shed the veil of nostalgia in order to appreciate what it is that we have today. Also known as the Saturday Night Live Syndrome ("this cast sucks and the show is unfunny compared to how it was 10 years ago!")

Reactions: larmex99

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
I never understood the love for Chi Chi's. While Mexican food is so flavourful, Chi Chi's was always as bland as bland could be.

That's coming from the 18 year old me, long before my tastes were further refined.

I could imagine describing it as slop these days were it still around.
news flash:
ChiChi's still exists in Belgium.
the one in Antwerp's Grote Markt closed the last time I visited (December), but it looks like Luxemberg still loves its endless free nachos and salsa.

http://www.chichis.be/restaurants/?lang=en

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
My vivid memories of Jets 1.0 are:
  • Freezing my ****ing ears off walking from the far end of Polo Park, being a tough guy 10 year old and not wearing a toque in 2200 windchill.
  • Nelson Emerson catch the puck skate around the net for the wrap around throw in
  • Seeing Stu Barnes hat trick live
  • As a 7 year old sitting in row 1 right in the corner and having heart attack every time someone hammered a dump in while I was day dreaming
  • Every time I sat in the upper deck. I loved sitting up there. You could see everything
i've posted memories before, but some new ones come up.

-the escalators to the upper decks
-seeing the press box in the upper deck. its entrance looked like a treehouse floor. cobbled together
-the TVs in the upper deck lol
-the troughs
-the buttered-toasted hotdog buns
-asking my dad "who's Crazy George and why is he crazy?"
-seeing Kitty crack his skull open after taking a spill and watching the refs try to get all the blood off the ice
-asking Essensa if he was going to get a shut-out as he was walking into the arena. he laughed and said "I was until you cursed me!". Oilers scored 4 goals on 5 shots. i wanted to die. i still want to meet Bob and ask him about that
-Patty Elynuik giving me his stick before a game.

Reactions: ps241 and Oilpeg

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I'm a 1.0 guy, and always will be, but that was a poorly run organization from day one and it started right at the top. My number one concern with 2.0 was ownership and city involvement. Clearly we have made huge strides.

Memories? How about Coffee hitting the post. Possibly the worst goal call ever.

pictman

Mar 7, 2012
pictish hills
I lived through all of 1.0 as well.I was so pumped when Hull was signed as the Hawks were my original 6 team and Hull of course was my favorite player.The sight of Hawechuck taking that cross check is permanently burned into my brain.You just knew we were done.Thats the difference with this team.No matter who we lose this year the team steps up.This is without dou bt the best team the Jets have iced.

Wolf357

Jul 16, 2011
I remember my first game very well..about 1984 and I was about 7.. my first thought was how massive the Arena was (grew up in Rural MB and going to local games with a capacity of 100 or so) and my disbelief that I couldn’t hear the play by play.
A few years later when we would be on the city for shopping at polo park..you could walk into “The Jets Store” and get tickets.. and of course getting our car locked in the Polo Park parking lot..

Reactions: Luc Labelle

SM

Public Enemy #1
Oct 1, 2015
MB
I was too young to experience the hype of 1.0, but thought I’d share how 2.0 has already impacted the next generation.

My SO is an Early Childhood Educator here in Winnipeg. She often tells me stories of kids as young as 2 who talk to her about their favourite Jets by name, who scored the big goal the night prior, and how “this year is the year”. When they get time in the gym to play floor hockey, she keeps the peace by telling one side they are the “white Jets”, and the other the “blue Jets”. She laughs when retelling that some will even rattle off stat lines, or comment on players’ cold streaks

Kids are sponges and will regurgitate whatever they heard Mom and Dad say at home, but the likes of Wheeler, Scheif, Laine and Buff are already cemented in their young minds as their ultimate heroes.

Reactions: Huffer

HannuJ

Nov 20, 2011
Toronno
Chi Chi's served me when I was still 16 so it had that going for it.
mine was Charlie O's.
I used to go there when i was 16 and watch Jets games on their satellite. I once remember having to babysit my 13 year old sister and bringing her there with me and a friend. lol

Reactions: Hank Chinaski

DREGER21

Mar 26, 2018
My memories as a kid date back to the WHA when my dad took me to allot of games. Whalers, Stingers, Toros, Bulls, Cowboys, Oilers, Nordique, Aeros, Racers... I saw them all. Still boggles my mind to this day that your could smoke in your seats whiling watching the game. Didn't see much of the 1.0 Jets until the early 90's when I snagged season tickets for Teemu's rookie year. Might have paid $700.00 to sit right on the glass near the blue line.

Now it's 2018 and I'm 50 and can barely believe the team I'm watching is mine. This version of the Jets (when healthy) has no weaknesses except lack of playoff experience. If we sneak past the Preds. I have no doubt we'll get the SC final.
Some days I think I'm dreaming and wonder where the last 40 years have gone. This franchise all the way back 1972 has been part it... and lord willing... will remain that way right up the parade in June.

Reactions: HannuJ

RRenegade

Jul 13, 2016
Winnipeg
I should remember the WHA but I don't, I guess my love was for the NHL Jets started with the Hawerchuk years, 7-11 tickets, how easy it was to sneak beers on the second level & how much the balcony shook when the crowd got going when the crowd stomped our feet.
Also $30 front row balcony playoff tickets!
I do love the Jets 2.0 and in time, i'm sure these will be the cherished memories.

Reactions: Teppo Numenor

Teppo Numenor

Mar 14, 2016
I remember listening to the jets beat the Oilers for the avco cup on that tiny little clock radio I was given for Christmas. As a teenager I would drive into the city with my dad to watch the jets with mini pack of tickets we had. We would arrive early and park in the first row at the old bomber stadium.
This current season seems like somekind of dream, like we have skipped into a parallel universe. The real jets must be stuck out of the playoffs, drafting 7th again. I won't be too sad if they loose, I'm used to that. I am just watching, enjoying every minute, it's hard to believe. It truly is glorious. Hats off to Chipman and his foresight. Karma.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I'm right there with all of you old guys :)

When I moved to Winnipeg in about 1980 I quickly became a huge Jets fan. I didn't have much of a job or money at the time, but I was so obsessed that I would go to the arena and find someone selling off a season ticket cheap and sit wherever I could. Funny thing is that I would often get a ticket in the first couple of rows for $10 - $20 if I stood around long enough and waited someone out!

I would watch the pregame warmup, and eat something that I had brought with me, watch the game, the three stars, then sometimes just hang around the arena. Of course listened to the post game show on the way home.... something I NEVER do now :)

The next day was the old version of HFJets.... go to the store and buy both the Sun and the Free Press and sit down and read every story and go through every stat (goals and +/- )lol.

I lost my interest in Hockey when the Jets were snatched from our collective arms, but when I started hearing rumors of them coming back, I was just as rabid as I ever was. Words cannot express how happy I am to have this team back. You can't repeat memories, it just never works. I'm just happy to continue the journey.

Jaytee

Feb 27, 2015
A friend of mine and I bought a quarter-share of season tickets in 1979-80, the first year the Jets were in the NHL. Ten games (out of 40), good seats, about 20 rows up, even with the face-off circle in one end. It cost us $100 each, $10 per game, per ticket.

Good times, good times...

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
I should remember the WHA but I don't, I guess my love was for the NHL Jets started with the Hawerchuk years, 7-11 tickets, how easy it was to sneak beers on the second level & how much the balcony shook when the crowd got going when the crowd stomped our feet.
Also $30 front row balcony playoff tickets!
I do love the Jets 2.0 and in time, i'm sure these will be the cherished memories.
I don't remember the WHA either, and I cant figure out why. I recall following the Habs and Bruins in that era, but not the Jets. Perhaps the WHA didn't have any TV coverage?

Oilpeg

Jun 3, 2014
Winnipeg
This thread is goose pimples....nicely done everyone. I'll share a few too:
- A New Years Eve game against the Rangers in the early 90s. We sat in the middle of last row and it was easier to get into our seats by climbing over the top. I remember this mammoth of man sitting to my left (who likely wasn't really that big, but i was 10 ish) lifting me over the railing and into my seat.
- Collecting the plastic and wood mini goalie sticks. Dad or Grandpa would buy me one every time we went. I still have them and my 4-year old daughter and her 2-year old cousin play with them.
- Got to go to the home opener in the 93-94 season, the year after Selanne's big rookie year. He got a hat trick and it was against Washington.
- Dad got tickets in the first row against Minnesota for one game and I'll never forget Craig Ludwig getting pinned to the glass and leaving a long smear of slobber along the glass right in front of us. Couldn't keep my eyes off it for the rest of the game. Was very disgusting.
- Dad was, and still is, a "beat the traffic" guy. Rarely did I ever get to stay until the end. His dad was, and also still is, the same way. I'm happy to say I've broken that tradition, it always drove me nuts. I've been able to take my Dad to a few games over the last little while and I've made him stay to the end. I'm pretty proud of that! LOL

I never got to go to a playoff game in the 1.0 era but I was lucky enough to get to go on Tuesday night for my first Jets playoff game ever. It was one of the best experiences of my life. I can't wait for my daughter to get older so I can bring her and get her memory collecting started. She chants Go Jets Go at the TV all the time, and even started the chant at a Moose game a month ago, had to explain that these were the Moose and not the Jets, but she had the theory down pat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad