My Case for the Brad Richards selection.

Status
Not open for further replies.

big_steve

Dec 6, 2003
Newfoundland
When it was announced that Brad Richards was named to Team Canada for the 2004 World Cup of Hockey, a lot of guys came on here and complained about this pick. At this moment I really, really wonder why. Richards has been such a great player for Tampa Bay in the playoffs. You could make a case that if Tampa wins the cup, he would win the Conn Smythe Trophy, he's been that good. He's better then LeCavalier if you ask me because while Richards plays great on a consistent bases, LeCavalier has "spurts". He might play excellent for 5 or 6 games and then, he still plays fairly good but has more difficulty putting points up. Team Canada couldn't take a risk with LeCavalier because for the while the World Cup lasts, he might be off his game, while Richards is always on his game and is more of a safe pick. Last night, Brad Richards was arguably Tampa Bay's best player. With 5 Game Winning Goals in the playoffs he has proven that he is a clutch performer and their was no way Team Canada could've picked LeCavalier or Primeau even over him.

(Note: If you reply please don't come here and say "I didn't complain" because that's a waste of time. Also don't say "You don't know what you're talking about" support yourself there."

DaveyCrockett

Dec 8, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Also, supporting picking Richard is the fact that he has out produced Lecavalier by a huge margin over the last 4 season and is the same age. Richards' worst season in the NHL was a 62pt season.
Richards Lecavalier Sakic(for reference)
2003-2004 82-26-53-79 81-32-34-66 81-33-54-87
2002-2003 80-17-57-74 80-33-45-78 58-23-32-58
2001-2003 82-20-42-62 76-20-17-37 82-26-53-79
2000-2001 82-21-41-62 68-23-28-51 82-54-64-118
Totals 326 277 305 232 303 342

Jeff Goldblum

Apr 19, 2002
Visit site
I really see no reason why Richards shouldn't have been selected. He was basically a lock IMO. Such a strong season, great player with excellent vision and a scoring touch. Having a great playoffs, but also had a great regular season unlike Primeau. When JR named Richards as one of the guys Primeau should have replaced, I wasn't so much shocked(as it IS JR), but rather in diasgreement.

Teezax

Nov 25, 2002
Montreal
As a Canadian (and a :bow: Flyers fan ) I have no problem with the Brad Richards selection. In fact, I would even go as far as say I'm much happier it was him and not Vinnie. Brad's the real deal, not that egotistic showboat.

Ironchef Chris Wok*

Brad Richards is a fantastic player. Great playmaker w/ speed and showed off his scoring ability 2 nights ago.

Sotnos

Jul 8, 2002
Not here
www.boltprospects.com
Teezax said:
In fact, I would even go as far as say I'm much happier it was him and not Vinnie. Brad's the real deal, not that egotistic showboat.
:shakehead Don't know who you're talking about, because that certainly doesn't describe Lecavalier either.

Is it only Bolts fans who can build up Richards without tearing down Vinny? I know WHY they get lumped in together all the time, but if they didn't play for the same team anymore, they wouldn't get compared, since they are two different types of players. I don't see the need to compare them, especially not in this case. I doubt very much that the Canadian team organizers sat down and said "Well, we can only pick one of them, which one will it be?"

What I want to know is, where are all the people who said his contract was a horrible travesty that would ruin the finances of the NHL? Looks like a good deal now, doesn't it? ;)

joeminus

Mar 3, 2002
Tampa, FL
Visit site
Sotnos said:
... that certainly doesn't describe Lecavalier either.

No kidding.

This whole Richards vs. Lecavalier thing is fairly pointless. They're very different players, and both are phenomenal talents regardless of how they compare to one another.

Richards was a great choice for Team Canada. Lecavalier would've been a great choice, too.

hossy316

Oct 25, 2003
Kensington, PEI
Visit site
Great selection to this team. The boy has put up great numbers wherever he has played. I remember the days when Tampa was debating on signing him or not and then he went out and tore it up at the Mem Cup and that left them no choice but to sign him to the rookie max. If Tampa happens to win the Cup, he's by far my choice for the Conn Smythe.

big_steve

Dec 6, 2003
Newfoundland
joeminus said:
No kidding.

This whole Richards vs. Lecavalier thing is fairly pointless. They're very different players, and both are phenomenal talents regardless of how they compare to one another.

Richards was a great choice for Team Canada. Lecavalier would've been a great choice, too.

sorry bout the whole comparison to LeCavalier but it was really difficult for me not to compare the two.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I don't think it would've been a crime against humanity if Richards didn't make the team. I personally though Lecavalier should've been in over Richards but with the way he's played in the postseason, he's become a money player and he's also showing he's more than a passer...he's scoring big goals. I guess you can't go wrong with either guy. There are 5 guys on the Lightning that are Conn Smythe worthy and two of them will be on Team Canada and then there's Lecavalier. I think guys from Tampa Bay and Calgary are going to benefit from going deep in the playoffs...more exposure. Leopold and Conroy are strong bets for Team USA, Iginla was obvious lock for Canada but Regehr played his way onto the team.

Snap Wilson

Sep 14, 2003
Richards was a fine selection, and he's a much more versatile player than Vinnie. Look at the ice time, folks. Johnny T would agree with me.

tml_hockey

Jan 3, 2004
Visit site
Richards was the best selection. Not only is he having a stellar year and playoff, but he's a winner on all levels. Every team brad richards has ever been on, he's been a winner. How can you argue with that?

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Lecavalier always gets the recognition on Tampa. He is the one always being talked about. And it frustrated me for 4 years because Richards continued to outplay him. It put a huge smile on my face when he made the team over Vince.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->