My "care" for this year's team

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
Since people use "compete" as a measure, I'm going to say that my "care" level for this year's team is next to nil.

Can't stand Rob Ray as a color analyst.

Shortened season.

Bad team.

Ruff still here.

Crybaby millionaires.

Sure, there are some bright spots to the season. But not many.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
tumblr_leskhb77jt1qa989co1_500.png

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo

LOL. This combined with your avatar made me lol

Yeah, hard for me to care about this team right now. Soft, slow, boring hockey is not enjoyable to watch especially when we lose even if it's the team I hold dear to my heart

1TuchAnd1NoTuch

Jul 26, 2011
Buffalo
The fact that I still want then to win when losing would be more beneficial shows that I care but they really have been disappointing.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
I was thrilled that we would have a hockey season, but now that my team is the definition of suck, I've been brought back to homeostasis.

Squantosawuss

Dec 10, 2010
B-lo
Since people use "compete" as a measure

What drives me nuts is how all these sports people use the word "compete" incorrectly. The word they should be using in the tense they use it, is "competitiveness", but I know that's way too much to ask.

Can't stand Rob Ray as a color analyst.

I actually like Rob a lot. He's not a homer, so you can count on a (usually) reasonable assessment of a play. His on-ice experience adds a lot to his explanations and I enjoy that. I actually miss Harry Neale. Never understood all the Harry hate.

Shortened season.

I agree. Then again, guaranteed to see less suck.

Bad team.
If the goal is to have a shot at 7th or 8th and be out in the first round, then not such a bad team. If the goal is to win a Cup, well....

Ruff still here.

I like Ruff, but there's no excuse for him to still be here. Only an extra special coach in sports deserves this length of tenure. Lindy is definitely NOT that coach.

Crybaby millionaires.

Eh. Doesn't matter how much you make, things still bug you, so you complain about them.

Sure, there are some bright spots to the season. But not many.

The one real bright spot is Vanek, obviously. He has started off the season on fire. It gets to the point where you wish the guy could get the satisfaction of playing for a real contender that he can help win a Cup, vs. being the star of a poser contender that doesn't seem to have a Cup anywhere in the foreseeable future as he, like Miller, are only getting closer to (or already hitting) their peak.

thekenneth

Jan 25, 2013
all of their wins were fairly close at some point.

philly fell apart in the third but it was close before that.
toronto they got lucky and barely won. boston flat out BLEW the game.

sabres did play on PAR with the canadiens today, but that last goal and a bad penalty. for the 4-3 goal.

the sabres are actually LUCKY to have this many wins.

HockeyH3aven

Jan 22, 2009
Jacksonville, FL
What drives me nuts is how all these sports people use the word "compete" incorrectly. The word they should be using in the tense they use it, is "competitiveness", but I know that's way too much to ask.

I actually like Rob a lot. He's not a homer, so you can count on a (usually) reasonable assessment of a play. His on-ice experience adds a lot to his explanations and I enjoy that. I actually miss Harry Neale. Never understood all the Harry hate.

I agree. Then again, guaranteed to see less suck.

If the goal is to have a shot at 7th or 8th and be out in the first round, then not such a bad team. If the goal is to win a Cup, well....

I like Ruff, but there's no excuse for him to still be here. Only an extra special coach in sports deserves this length of tenure. Lindy is definitely NOT that coach.

Eh. Doesn't matter how much you make, things still bug you, so you complain about them.

The one real bright spot is Vanek, obviously. He has started off the season on fire. It gets to the point where you wish the guy could get the satisfaction of playing for a real contender that he can help win a Cup, vs. being the star of a poser contender that doesn't seem to have a Cup anywhere in the foreseeable future as he, like Miller, are only getting closer to (or already hitting) their peak.

That's because most people can see they're terrible broadcast personalities.

Ray is terrible. He repeats the same things every game, everthing is a "nice play". He says "nice play" about fifty times a broadcast. He is overlly homerish towards the team. I've heard him say at least 4-5 times after a period in which the Sabres left trailing my multiple goals that "they played well" and made some "nice, smart plays" but "just need to get going in the third". You're right Ray, they got outscored 3-1 and went 0-5 on the powerplay but everything is "nice".

Harry on the other hand was just too old. He was slow to grasp and react to what was happening on the ice, all of his anecdotes, information, and expertise was from a time before any of the players were born. He was pretty clearly out of touch and not fit to be in an NHL broadcast booth.

hizzoner

Sponsor
Jun 19, 2006
I expect a colour analyst to be more than a cheerleader. I see that from other clubs when they do their broadcasts and I HATE it. I want more analysis and less boosterism. What do the stats show about an opposing goalie's weaknesses and are we trying to exploit them? What are our breakout patterns and are they working? Are we matching lines\players and is it working if we are? Gap control issues? Why do we send 3 guys straight across on a 3 on 2 rather than have a player slightly behind the puck carrier -slightly staggered so tougher to defend and easier for 3rd guy to read\react to rebound? Why do we turn over the puck so often in our own end--is it the system?the player with the puck?the guy who was not where he was supposed to be? I know we cannot expect NFL type analysis in such a fast and fluid game but we should expect and get better analysis.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Same.

Ease up , jbuddy

I play a lot of poker, and being a Sabres fan is like making the call pre-flop when you have a pair of low unsuited cards. The flop gives you a two card draw for a straight, and you know you should fold but you can't help but convince yourself to call again...just to see what happens.

The turn card gives you a straight draw, but it's a closed draw with only four outs, and there's already a flush on the board. You KNOW how stupid it is to call again, but you can't help yourself and just HAVE to see if you can steal this pot, against all odds.

The river card comes and you made bottom pair, but you missed the straight and now there's four to the flush on the board. You have a losing hand and the bettor makes one more huge wager. Somehow you start to think that it's such a huge bet that maybe it's a big bluff. That guy missed EVERYTHING and somehow, with your crappy pair of 5s with a 4 kicker, you start to think that JUST MAYBE this is your pot. This is the moment when you cash in BIG TIME and everyone at the table will say, "@#$%" and finally show respect to the guy who's never won.

You work yourself up into a hyped up belief that YOU'VE GOT IT THIS TIME. You stare down the other guy and call. He grins and shows his cards...you walk away wondering how you fell for it yet again.

I'm at the point where I'm ready to fold after the flop and cut my losses, because I know calling only leads to misery. I might only play another hand when I'm holding bullets.

RefsIdeas

Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
That's because most people can see they're terrible broadcast personalities.

Ray is terrible. He repeats the same things every game, everthing is a "nice play". He says "nice play" about fifty times a broadcast. He is overlly homerish towards the team. I've heard him say at least 4-5 times after a period in which the Sabres left trailing my multiple goals that "they played well" and made some "nice, smart plays" but "just need to get going in the third". You're right Ray, they got outscored 3-1 and went 0-5 on the powerplay but everything is "nice".

Harry on the other hand was just too old. He was slow to grasp and react to what was happening on the ice, all of his anecdotes, information, and expertise was from a time before any of the players were born. He was pretty clearly out of touch and not fit to be in an NHL broadcast booth.

I'd bet money that if the Sabres are down in the 3rd period with ~5 mins to go Rob Ray will say "it's time to start throwing everything at the net".

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->