Review: My bad experience with two-piece sticks

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
From my experience, two piece sticks (the ones you pop the blade into yourself) are garbage.

1. Weight: Unbalanced, which is it be expected with the weight of the blade, but it is very unusable.

2. Flex: very soft, I bought an 87 and it felt like a 77. Cut it down to it says it should be 95 and it feels like 87 now.

3. Shooting: blade seems to away from where it should be causing inaccurate shots. Shots also come off different than usual, almost like I was shooting with those plastic sticks they give you in grade school.

This may just be a bad combination or just a defect but I surely will not buy a 2 piece ever again.

Incunabula

Jul 31, 2013
what combination are you using?

my experience with two-piece sticks has been nothing but great. the only adjustment i've had to account for is a slightly heavier blade end. also, it saves a ton of money - usually when it's time for a new stick, it is the blade that has worn down, not the shaft... so instead of dropping hundreds for a whole new stick, it's $20 for a blade each time.

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
what combination are you using?

my experience with two-piece sticks has been nothing but great. the only adjustment i've had to account for is a slightly heavier blade end. also, it saves a ton of money - usually when it's time for a new stick, it is the blade that has worn down, not the shaft... so instead of dropping hundreds for a whole new stick, it's $20 for a blade each time.

TotalOne NXG and NXG blade.

The one I had before was the nxg with an x90 blade. Same experience.

Everyone I know that uses them loves them but both I've gotten have sucked.

Wease

Apr 14, 2007
Powell, OH
I won't use anything but a two piece setup. The cost savings is what keeps me. When I blew out two S17's a few years ago, within a month of each other, that was it. I went back to two piece. Currently using an APX 2 with an Easton Parise blade. I do like the feel of a one piece better, but not at $200+ a stick.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
TotalOne NXG and NXG blade.

I haven't shopped for shafts in a couple years, but it looks like the NXG is a standard shaft (as opposed to tapered)? Standard shafts are known to have different/higher kickpoints, so the feel would be noticeably different from a one piece. Tapered shafts should be closer to one piece sticks; At least back in the day, a few "one piece" sticks were tapered shafts/blades cosmetically altered to look like a one piece.

It seems like the stick companies have really skimped on their shaft/blade offerings in recent years. Nowadays, it seems like you can get great deals on older OPS. Last month I splurged on an older CCM RBZ for $89 which was $200+ when it originally came out.

I grew up playing outdoors and still do when I'm not goalie. So shaft/blade combos are still the way to go for me. But if you're playing on sportcourt/ice, I could see sticking with OPS's.

vikingGoalie

Oct 31, 2010
Has anyone tried this stick out yet? http://colthockey.com/

Kinda orthogonal to this discussion, but the topic of breaking sticks and why I usually get two piece pnes brought it back to me.

On topic, two piece usually for me. I got some Graf one piece sticks because they were stupid cheap, I hate them. But that has to be the brand and not a knock on one piece sticks.

MattGTI

Dec 4, 2010
Milford
I like two piece setups. A lot, actually.

However, I don't use them. Seems to me two pieces are on life support. Its hard around here to even get one at any of the LHS. Even big box stores like Pure Hockey and Hockey Monkey didn't have many last fall or even in stock. Its a dying breed. From a cost standpoint, they are fantastic. Honestly, I don't notice a ton of weight imbalance, or performance degradation using them(probably because I am just not good enough of a player to). However, I just stick to OPS now.

Kinda orthogonal to this discussion, but the topic of breaking sticks and why I usually get two piece pnes brought it back to me.

On topic, two piece usually for me. I got some Graf one piece sticks because they were stupid cheap, I hate them. But that has to be the brand and not a knock on one piece sticks.

Kind of brash to enter the market as an unknown brand with a 270.00 stick. No matter how durable it is, it boils down to performance. If its not there, its not going to sell. I could care less if the stick lasts 10x as long as another brand, if it feels like a log in my hand. That being said, I am not knocking it. I just don't know anyone that has used one. They might be fantastic for all I know.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Would a composite shaft with a wooden blade be a good idea ?

It comes down to personal preference. Off the top of my head, I think Ryan Smyth had that combo. I have used a couple wooden tapered blades and the balance of the stick was a little off compared to when I had a composite blade with the same shaft.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
I use almost the same set up as you, allow me to give my point of view on the subject. I have a Total One shaft, paired with a Total One NXG blade. The shaft was an 87 flex, but I cut it down to a 100 flex last season to play ball hockey with it. I inserted an extension yesterday, so it's closer to 80 flex now. The Total One sticks have a reputation to be softer than rated, because of the amplified mid kick. As said in previous post, the fact that it's a standard shaft makes the kick point a bit higher than on a tapered shaft. You feel the flex more, since it bends right where you bottom hand is when you take slap shots.

I think the NXG combo is perhaps the lightest and most balanced on the market. It's obviously not as light and balanced as its OPS counterpart, but it's still usable IMO.

The blade has the best feeling of all the sticks I've ever used. It feels "dead", and it reminds me of a wood stick. It felt better than my APX, which was more lively.

The shaft is built like a tank. Had it for 2 years now, played 100+ games with it, and it shows no sign of wear, except for the tac spiral on the bottom of the shaft. It outlived 3 different blades : a Total One and 2 APX SE.

Shots are pin point accurate, and stick handling is a pleasure.

I don't know why you had such a bad experience with it, but I recommend the 2 piece NXG to anyone who is serious about the game, and/or doesn't want to spend 250$ for a top end stick that breaks in a month of use.

I've used or tried the Dolomite, One 95, X:60, APX, Nexus 1000 and APX 2 before, so I know what I'm talking about.

mattkaminski15

Feb 25, 2014
Chicago
UPDATE:
Shaft for the nxg has broken. Hallelujah.

I will be buying an x90 shift to go with the x90 blade.

Hockey monkey has a deal on the reebok 20k and I might swoop that one up.

Any recommendations?

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
Just avoid Easton Mako shafts and blades. They're crap.

If you want a 2 piece again, go with an APX 2. They're really light, and if they perform like the OPS version, you'll love it.

For a OPS, I suggest the Nexus 1000.

GinoLucia2217

Great Plains
Dec 1, 2013
Probably Minnesota

I believe Pavel Barber on YouTube and Hockeytutorial did a couple reviews for it. Basically is an i breakable stick that has the weight of a mid-top end stick I believe it is at 480 grand which is comparable to most high end sticks which are usually around 440 IIRC. Sounds like it has some prett good feel and pop so if you can get use to the weight adjustment bingo.

American in Paris

Feb 15, 2013
Would a composite shaft with a wooden blade be a good idea ?
Yes. It's way cheaper and the blades last longer. Also, a wooden blade has a very nice feel for stickhandling. Sidney Crosby used a two-piece stick with a wooden blade his first couple of years in the NHL.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=494216

A $200+ OPS might give you slightly better performance, but come on... $200 for a stick that might break the first time you use it? I can't understand why more people don't think that is crazy. If Crosby could perform at the highest level using a wooden blade, surely us beerleaguers can do well with one too. And if you're really serious about performance, you could use all that money you save on OPS to pay for coaching and/or extra ice time, which IMHO will up your game way more than an expensive stick.

Last edited:

Jisatsu

May 17, 2013
I used 2 piece sticks for about ten years, as they were the cheaper route to go. I've used both aluminum and composite shafts and wood and composite blades. If you are used to 1 piece sticks, you'll hate the 2 piece. The blades are generally much heavier especially if you go with wood blades. I find wood blades have the best feel, but are much more prone to breaking during play. Composite blades will last longer but will lose their feel much faster, especially if you take a lot of clappers. For playing defense you can't go wrong with an aluminum shaft and a Kevlar wrapped composite blade for durability. If you are a forward I recommend a tapered composite shaft with either a Bauer or Easton blade for stick handling and quick release shots.

If you are new to the game a cheap 2 piece with a wood blade is a cost effective way of trying many curve types without breaking the bank.

Oh and if a 2 piece is too heavy for you, just remember standard wood sticks back in the day were 600-800grams in weight and no one complained.

Tacks92

Jun 16, 2014
And if you're really serious about performance, you could use all that money you save on OPS to pay for coaching and/or extra ice time, which IMHO will up your game way more than an expensive stick.

God, that's such a good point. Spend a hundred bucks less on a stick, get a couple hours with a coach, get a lot better than that APX2 (or whatever) is going to make you. :handclap: Never quite thought about it that way, but it's totally valid. Thanks for sharing.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
I used 2 piece sticks for about ten years, as they were the cheaper route to go. I've used both aluminum and composite shafts and wood and composite blades. If you are used to 1 piece sticks, you'll hate the 2 piece. The blades are generally much heavier especially if you go with wood blades. I find wood blades have the best feel, but are much more prone to breaking during play. Composite blades will last longer but will lose their feel much faster, especially if you take a lot of clappers. For playing defense you can't go wrong with an aluminum shaft and a Kevlar wrapped composite blade for durability. If you are a forward I recommend a tapered composite shaft with either a Bauer or Easton blade for stick handling and quick release shots.

If you are new to the game a cheap 2 piece with a wood blade is a cost effective way of trying many curve types without breaking the bank.

Oh and if a 2 piece is too heavy for you, just remember standard wood sticks back in the day were 600-800grams in weight and no one complained.

OK regarding your first point that I bolded, that's simply not true; it's personal preference.

Regarding the second point, also not true. Two-pieces may not be as well balanced or light as their one-piece equivalents, but they are by no means 'much heavier'. Even certain wood blades are quite light and well balanced, like the Easton Mako/Synergy line.

Third point, also not necessarily true. You do realize the vast majority of OPS are fused 2 pieces?

4th point. There are no Aluminum shafts made anymore...not for a long while.

Alexander the Gr8

May 2, 2013
Toronto
OK regarding your first point that I bolded, that's simply not true; it's personal preference.

Regarding the second point, also not true. Two-pieces may not be as well balanced or light as their one-piece equivalents, but they are by no means 'much heavier'. Even certain wood blades are quite light and well balanced, like the Easton Mako/Synergy line.

Third point, also not necessarily true. You do realize the vast majority of OPS are fused 2 pieces?

Spot on, AIREAYE. I'd also like to add that an uncut senior two piece NXG is around 440 grams, which is as light as the one piece One 95. It definitely isn't heavy. The two piece APX 2 is even lighter I think.

American in Paris

Feb 15, 2013
God, that's such a good point. Spend a hundred bucks less on a stick, get a couple hours with a coach, get a lot better than that APX2 (or whatever) is going to make you. :handclap: Never quite thought about it that way, but it's totally valid. Thanks for sharing.
And even if you prefer to use a really light stick in competition, I think the case can be made for using a heavy one during practice. I alternate between an old-school all wood stick and a modern composite when doing on-ice exercises; I especially favor the wood stick when doing fundamental stick-handling exercises. The extra weight strengthens all the tiny muscles in my wrist and forearm - especially on the top hand - that are essential to rapid, dexterous puck movement.

In fact, when I do off-ice stick-handling drills, I use an old wooden stick with a 3lb weight taped on just above the heel. 15 minutes of basic drills with that thing is a real workout for the stick-handling muscles.

Of course I go back and forth to my composite to avoid losing my feel for how it handles.

Jisatsu

May 17, 2013

Yes, my opinioned post was an opinion.

Second point you bolded is kinda silly to latch onto because realistically how many 2 piece set ups are in the 450 and lower weight class? Most people groan about anything over 500 grams.

Third point to argue is absolutely silly when you think about it, because everyone already knows most one pieces are fused two pieces, so you are nit picking just for fun. Possibly because you have nothing better to do with your time. A fused one piece plays remarkably different from a large portion of the standard two piece sticks out there. How do I know? The 20 some sticks in my basement which are about half shafts and half one pieces dating back to the early 90s. And a few of those shafts are actually former fused one piece sticks I've pulled blades out of, and from experience they play much differently.

And your fourth point is spot on, however if some one wanted to buy an aluminum shaft they just have to stop by any store that sells used gear or do a quick search online. So many aluminum shafts were made that they aren't exactly rare or hard to find.

Oh and there's a company that still makes them and sells them on eBay anyways. But I'm sure a 1 minute search would have shown that.

Anyways enjoy pretending to know it all.

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Yes, my opinioned post was an opinion.

Second point you bolded is kinda silly to latch onto because realistically how many 2 piece set ups are in the 450 and lower weight class? Most people groan about anything over 500 grams.

Third point to argue is absolutely silly when you think about it, because everyone already knows most one pieces are fused two pieces, so you are nit picking just for fun. Possibly because you have nothing better to do with your time. A fused one piece plays remarkably different from a large portion of the standard two piece sticks out there. How do I know? The 20 some sticks in my basement which are about half shafts and half one pieces dating back to the early 90s. And a few of those shafts are actually former fused one piece sticks I've pulled blades out of, and from experience they play much differently.

And your fourth point is spot on, however if some one wanted to buy an aluminum shaft they just have to stop by any store that sells used gear or do a quick search online. So many aluminum shafts were made that they aren't exactly rare or hard to find.

Oh and there's a company that still makes them and sells them on eBay anyways. But I'm sure a 1 minute search would have shown that.

Anyways enjoy pretending to know it all.

Well, first of all, you never presented your post as your opinion to him, but rather as some sort of rule you made up : "If you are used to 1 piece sticks, you'll hate the 2 piece." I don't mind if people post opinions really, but if you present it as fact and it's wrong, I'll call you out on it. Similarly, if you feel that I make a post as an opinionated 'fact' and you feel it's incorrect, post and let us know.

Regarding your weight comment, I would imagine all 'top-end' 2-piece setups (NXG, APX2, Mako 2 etc.) would be 450g or less. Most people don't 'groan about anything over 500 grams', it's relative to what they've used before, don't you think?

Well the third point is pretty relevant because composite blades DO NOT lose their feel faster. That's simply not true, and I am not going to argue this with you. You are spreading misinformation.

Your comments on my critique of your third and fourth points on aluminum shafts is a clear example of your outdated and misguided thinking. The technology for many fused OPS and their 2 piece counterparts (see, NOT APX2s or NXGs because they aren't traditionally fused) are near identical save for the methods of joining them with resins.

Also, do direct me to whatever treasure trove you seem to know so much about that have these aluminum shafts. An ACTUAL ebay search turns up a handful of >$100 turn-of-century Easton shafts (http://www.ebay.ca/sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=aluminum+hockey+shaft&_frs=1) and this unknown POS: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/2-New-Pro-fl...501?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_2&hash=item3367afe00d that would end up weighing 600+ grams with a blade inserted...

I hope you also realize that Aluminums tend to warp over time, especially if you're using one side for a while and take stronger shots. No such problem with modern composites.

I was hoping you could actually back your opinion with some substance, yet you choose petty personal attacks and more made-up arguments. I think everyone here realizes what you're spewing. I'm pretty disappointed really, was hoping this could be an informative discussion.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad