My 2020 NHL Draft List from a Flyers Fan’s Perspective

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
@IronMarshal if I am reading this correctly, Lapierre's ranking or tier is more a result of his injury history and not his overall skill. I understand it can't be ignored, but if you were to pretend, where would you actually have him?

I am very biased towards him, but tier 5 seems low
Yes, I have him at #27 in my rankings (where I would rank him if I were the Flyers, which is how I do these) because of his injury history. With the Patrick situation, I wouldn't want to take on the risk. If I had no concern of his injuries causing problems down the road, he would be much higher, probably in my tier 3 which starts at #6 Holtz probably between 9 and 12, lets say 9. The players in each of these tiers are close to each other.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
glad this got bumped good writeup @IronMarshal talk Hendrix lapierre to me. He is one of the few guys that has caught my attention
As I said in the above post, it is the injury scare given the Patrick situation. He appears healthy and terrific at the start of this year. If can maintain his health, the kid is a stud and worthy of a top 12 spot.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Yes, I have him at #27 in my rankings (where I would rank him if I were the Flyers, which is how I do these) because of his injury history. With the Patrick situation, I wouldn't want to take on the risk. If I had no concern of his injuries causing problems down the road, he would be much higher, probably in my tier 3 which starts at #6 Holtz probably between 9 and 12, lets say 9. The players in each of these tiers are close to each other.

don't you think the flyers are in a position to take on some risk? I mean if any team is its us.

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
don't you think the flyers are in a position to take on some risk? I mean if any team is its us.
Yes, but I am pretty sure Lapierre will be gone before the Flyers pick anyway. I am hoping to take a swing for the fences and take on the compete risk on Perreault, who is about 50/50 to be there. Lapierre is playing to well right now for someone ahead of the Flyers to let him slip past them. I don't see how the Flyers can take this risk given Patrick. Can you imagine two high draft picks with concussion like problems?

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Yes, but I am pretty sure Lapierre will be gone before the Flyers pick anyway. I am hoping to take a swing for the fences and take on the compete risk on Perreault, who is about 50/50 to be there. Lapierre is playing to well right now for someone ahead of the Flyers to let him slip past them. I don't see how the Flyers can take this risk given Patrick. Can you imagine two high draft picks with concussion like problems?

Yeah, that's a total nightmare. There are going to be plenty of good guys at our spot.

Reactions: Rebels57

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Yeah, that's a total nightmare. There are going to be plenty of good guys at our spot.
migraines and concussions are two completely different things.

Concussions imo are not a real issue for a young player . If they are serious he will have to deal with the ramifications down the line not as a player.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
@IronMarshal if I am reading this correctly, Lapierre's ranking or tier is more a result of his injury history and not his overall skill. I understand it can't be ignored, but if you were to pretend, where would you actually have him?

I am very biased towards him, but tier 5 seems low

I watched a couple games of Lapierre, including one from last week, so suffice it to say, I have crucial knowledge to impart.

I really liked him. But he wasn't what I thought he'd be, in the sense I expected more flash or what I would perceive as a higher ceiling. He gave me vibes of being a super projectable all-around center. His skating was good, puck handling good, but he struck me more as a high hockey sense, details player in all 3 zones. More than the sum of his parts. He was playing with Mercer on his line the latter game, and it wasn't close to me which player was more impactful and versatile. And always err on the side of the center. I especially loved his puck protection game along the wall -- spinning off guys, using his body leverage, and just having poise with the puck.

I don't know if he'd be there at 23. And his medical issues make an interesting case with Patrick. There are very few actual centers in this draft (that could be a difference of opinion). I didn't watch game footage of Lundell, but from what I have seen and gathered, perhaps there's not a real difference between the two. And Lundell might go top 10. I'm not sure I'd outright regret not taking Lapierre. I don't see a star. But a 50-55 point 2C? That seems entirely realistic.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Between Lindros and Patrick and countless other examples of voodoo shit, I just want a straightforward pick.

see you're under the impression that if we draft an able body he has the hope of establishing himself as a nhl player. But alas you are a flyers fan and no matter who we pick they too will suffer the same fate as those who came before him. WIth Hendrix at least you are void of hope and really isn't that what being a flyer fan is all about?

IronMarshal

Mar 7, 2002
Langhorne, PA
Visit site
see you're under the impression that if we draft an able body he has the hope of establishing himself as a nhl player. But alas you are a flyers fan and no matter who we pick they too will suffer the same fate as those who came before him. WIth Hendrix at least you are void of hope and really isn't that what being a flyer fan is all about?
The jinx of the Flyers!
Really the Philly jinx I warned my boys about.

Reactions: Jtown

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Great work, very insightful. Thank you.

Would be happy with Zary or Holloway if they make it to 23. Otherwise give me Perreault, Gunler, or Reichel. Starting to warm up to the idea of Greig too. Would prefer they stay away from guys like Bourque and Foerster with skating issues.

Reactions: IronMarshal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad