My 2011 NHL Entry Draft Top 30

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
Do you really think the Oilers would draft the only prospect ranked in the top 5 that doesn't fill a need? If i'm Tambo I draft RNH over Landeskog. They are close enough in talent that the BPA rule doesn't come into play.

What if edmonton is looking for a defenseman? Have you spoken to Tambellini?

Edmonton has a smart GM and a very intelligent head scout. They know where the organization is. They finished last last season, and are 3rd last this year infront of 2 very bad teams (one of which may still pass them).

They are in the position where they need to draft the best player available. They have proven that they will go bpa over position by taking Hall over Seguin. The only way position comes into play when drafting that high for the Oilers, is if it is the only possible way to break the tie.

Look at the 2nd round even from last year. The scouts really wanted to take Marincin at 31, because of the lack of defensive depth, but they knew with Pitlick being the best player on the board, they couldn't overlook that. (they got lucky and got both their guys. see the 2nd episode of oilchange if you don't believe me)

Beerfish

Apr 14, 2007
Edmonton has a smart GM and a very intelligent head scout. They know where the organization is. They finished last last season, and are 3rd last this year infront of 2 very bad teams (one of which may still pass them).

They are in the position where they need to draft the best player available. They have proven that they will go bpa over position by taking Hall over Seguin. The only way position comes into play when drafting that high for the Oilers, is if it is the only possible way to break the tie.

Look at the 2nd round even from last year. The scouts really wanted to take Marincin at 31, because of the lack of defensive depth, but they knew with Pitlick being the best player on the board, they couldn't overlook that. (they got lucky and got both their guys. see the 2nd episode of oilchange if you don't believe me)

You got one out of two right anyway, the oilers now have a very good head scout, GM, not so much at this point.

If you rate Landeskog well ahead of RNH obviously that is the pick. If they are close like the other poster thinks then postion does start coming into it. The Oilers have had a hole at 1st line center for years and years now. They badly need a 1st line center and a Dman more than wingers.

If the winger is a much better player then I agree with you, go with the superior player. If the two players are very close in the eyes of the scouts go ahead and take the center.

Joey Moss

Aug 29, 2008
Do you really think the Oilers would draft the only prospect ranked in the top 5 that doesn't fill a need? If i'm Tambo I draft RNH over Landeskog. They are close enough in talent that the BPA rule doesn't come into play.

No you don't.. Not a chance Tambo should be selecting Hopkins over Landeskog. I don't care about positions, Landeskog will have a bigger impact in the NHL.

JVR21

Jan 27, 2010
I think Ambroz will be going top 15 if not top 10.
He seems to be dropping in a lot of rankings - this guy had him out of the first round. Essentially, I'm hoping the Flyers go after a potentially high-risk/high-reward guy whom other teams passed over for a "safer" pick. It's just been a good couple years since we've had an exciting prospect.

North Man

Feb 17, 2010
what happened to Victor Rask? He was 10th -15th earlier in the year and now he's dropped to 22nd -28th ect. Any reason why he has fallen? I was hoping flames could trade for another 1st and grab him.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
On Ambroz, I think him going high depended on the year he had this year. Safe to say its been underwhelming. He's really raw at this point and I don't see him having the offense to be a first round pick. He's got a lot of potential but its more likely IMO we see him go in the second round then the first. He should make the NHL but I'm skeptical it will be in a top 6 role ever.

Dave Karp

Jul 11, 2007
Nova Scotia
I like Strome but I can't really see him being up that high. I'm sure a team (or many, who knows) will rank him up there but to me, comparing say Matt Peumpel and him, I don't see a 10 player gap.

I've always wondered, do people who make these lists actually get to watch every single one of these prospects they're ranking? I'm genuinely curious, because as much as I follow junior hockey, I'd probably only feel comfortable ranking the OHL guys (plus some of the higher "profile" guys from the Q or Dub who get a lot of TV time). And even then, I'd be hesitant when it comes to certain teams I don't see much.

I'm the same way. I can't really imagine posters (other than scouts, of couse) seeing all of these people. But with all the rankings, information, player profiles, available at the click of a button, people can still make somewhat of a judgement call I'd imagine. As for me, I'd need to Get a Clue about all these players before I made a judgement call on them.

Gervess

@Gervess
Jan 3, 2011
Gatineau, Quebec
what happened to Victor Rask? He was 10th -15th earlier in the year and now he's dropped to 22nd -28th ect. Any reason why he has fallen? I was hoping flames could trade for another 1st and grab him.

I heard that he hasn't play like he can, because he didn't want to be in a team that is in the lower part of the standings, like the Oilers or NY Islanders. But I think if continue to fall he will be draft by a ****** team in the top of the 2nd round. But the talent is defenitely there.

urho

Sep 12, 2008
Oulu
I doubt Markus Granlund will go that high, more likely would be, say, 4th round. IMO if theres another finnish skater going in the 2nd round it would me Miikka Salomäki. And also at the moment theres no way Sven Bärtschi isnt top-30. Imo he's top 15-20 material. Otherwise nice list

Salomäki was very impressive in WJC-tournament as soon as he got any ice time at all. He's also ready to play against men and has played well too... Not too much points but he's fast, physical and skilled... I'd think someone would think of him in 2nd, maybe early 3rd round.

Michael Gary Scott

Toronto Maple Tron's
Apr 27, 2010
I dont see Boone Jenner dropping out of the 1st round. Id love for him to drop to a position where the leafs could draft him, but its just not going to happen

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009

Well, technically, Landeskog does satisfy Oiler needs. He is aggressive, tough, and gritty; he has decent size and scoring touch as well as leadership qualities. A Swedish Mike Richards, how could EDM not need a Mike Richards?

EDM's RW depth is: Hemsky, Eberle, Stortini... no one really knows if Hemsky will stay once his contract has expired, Landeskog solidifies EDM's RW.

Landeskog definitely fills a need.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
Ok then, I'm posting mine. Based on hearsay and conjecture.

1-NJD-Adam Larsson, D,
2-NYI-Sean Couturier, C
3-EDM-Ryan Nugent-Hopkins, C
4-BOS-Ryan Murphy, D
5-OTT-Gabriel Landeskog, LW
6-BUF-Jonathon Huberdeau-C
7-FLA-Joel Armia-RW
8-CGY-Matt Puempel-LW
9-CAR-Ryan Strome- C
10-CLB-Dougie Hamilton-D
11-MIN-Nicklas Jensen-LW
12-PHX-David Musil-D
13-CHI-Alex Khokhlachev-C
14-LAK-Brandon Saad-LW
15-STL-Vlad Namestnikov-C
16-MTL-Phillipe Hudon-RW
17-ANA-Duncan Siemens-D
18-NSH-Scott Mayfield-D
19-COL-Matt Nieto-LW
20-SJS-Shane McColgan-RW
21-BOS-Tyler Biggs-RW
22-NYR-Rocco Grimaldi-C
23-ATL-Seth Ambroz-RW
24-WSH-Mark McNeill-C
25-DAL-Robbie Russo-D
26-PHI-Jamie Oleksiak-D
27-TBL-Thomas Jurco-LW
28-DET-Dmitrij Jaskin-RW
29-PIT-Ty Rattie-RW
30-VAN-Joe Morrow-D

31-NSH-Victor Rask-C
32-NYI-Sven Bartschi-LW
33-EDM-Myles Bell-D
34-TOR-Boone Jenner-C
35-OTT-Shane Prince-C
36-BUF-Nathan Beaulieu-D
37-FLA-Markus Granlund-C
38-CHI-Max Shalunov-LW
39-CAR-Chris Gibson-G
40-CLB-Colin Jacobs-C
41-BOS-Kale Kessy-C
42-PHX-Tobias Rieder-RW
43-CHI-Dan Catennaci-C
44-LAK-JT Miller-C
45-STL-Phil Danault-LW
46-FLA-Adam Lowry-LW
47-ANA-Vince Trochek, C
48-NSH-Xavier Ouellet, D
49-COL-Lucas Lessio, LW
50-NYI-Oscar Klefbom, D
51-SJS-Rickard Rakell, LW
52-BOS-Marcel Noebels, RW
53-NYR-Mika Zibanejad, C
54-CHI-Nikita Dvurechensky, LW
55-NYR-Jonas Brodin, D
56-DAL-Stefan Noesen, LW
57-PHX-Mike Paliotta, D
58-TBL-Michael St. Croix, C
59-DET-Luke Lockhart, RW
60-PIT-Colten St.Clair, LW
61-VAN-Reece Scarlett, D

I'm not sure on the player's nationalities and I'm too lazy to look but I doubt Chicago drafts what looks like 3 russians with 3/4 picks in the top 54. Chicago is starting to go more with Swede's, I think they're more likely to draft Rask, Rakell, Brodin, or Zibanejad. Also, I believe Chicago will take one of (who ever's avalible) Jon/Chris Gibson and I'd give the edge to Jon Gibson if they're both availible.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Murphy before RNH and Couturier. Interesting.

I've been saying it for months now and the change in hype hasn't changed my opinion. New Jersey has been dying for a PMD this year, and they don't have any exceptional ones in their system, I don't think the diffrence between RNH, Couturier and Murphy is big enough for a team for a team to go BPA. Not one has significant qualities over another.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Poor Couturier doesn't even get drafted. And there is no way Murphy is better than RNH, no way.

I fixed that before you posted. You have severe Western bias judging by that comment. I guarentee the only time you've ever seen Murphy play was MAYBE team Canada's selction camp and the prospects game where he skated on a hurt ankle.

I've seen your posts in other threads, you're very high on Nugent-Hopkins, well I'm very high on Murphy, and hes the best offensive defensemen I've ever watched in the OHL (I started watching the OHL during the early 00s). There is a very small line between Murphy, Couturier and Nugent Hopkins in my opinion, so BPA is thrown out the window and I would bet that New Jersey would take Murphy over a forward.

And in terms of rankings, it's completely my opinion, and its not a far fetched one by any means.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad