My 2011 1st Round Draft

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
EDM would select Larsson. They desperately lack that stud d-man.

ian09

Dec 6, 2010
Canada
No it won't.

We need that franchise Dman. No offence to RNH , I'm a fan of his, but Larsson is on another level IMO.

Passing on a guy who is said to be better than Lidstrom (at his age), is really, really hard to pass up on.

and we dont need a franchise centre?

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Honestly as an Oilers fan I would not be shocked if RNH was their pick even at no.1.

They are building around Taylor Hall, first and foremost IMO, not just having depth at certain positions for the sake of having depth. Looking at Taylor Hall, he could use a playmaking center that can skate and create with him -- well voila, Ryan Nugent Hopkins is a perfect fit.

The Oilers.com website also already has interviews up with RNH and Stu McGregor (Oilers head scout) was raving about Nugent Hopkins recently too. Not sure, but I think secretly the franchise is quite high on RNH, and his recent explosive play probably isn't hurting the enthusiasm.

Velociraptor

May 12, 2007
Big Smoke
OLEKSIAK = 6'7", 245 lbs :)

Wonder if the Sharks would take him that early, I see him more of a late first rounder, early second rounder. Solid draft prospect all the same.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
It's hard to explain if you don't watch RNH, but he has been extremely impressive this whole season — even if his point totals haven't been. The last 7 games though, he's finally racking up the points to match the kind of skill he was showing throughout the year.

This is coming from someone who was not particularly high on him coming into the season and through the first 10 games or so... As was mentioned, 23 points in the last 7 games.

I know what you're saying, but the guy compared him to Crosby. That's extremely unfair to RNH who hasn't done anything spectacular at the Junior level.

I understand his vision, offensive awareness, hands, etc; He is an elite prospect, I won't deny it.

But the point remains the same, Kane (A guy Bob Mckenzie compared RNH too) was much further along in terms of developement at the same age. RNH isn't on the same level as Crosby in terms of playmaking, I would actually compare him to Kane but less of a shooter.

Personally, I don't think any player in this draft has 100 point potential. I think RNH will develope into a great offensive player but to say he's the best playmaker since Crosby is ridiculous.

Kane was extremely impressive to watch live aswell. Except he went well beyond 2 points per game and scored more then a goal a game.

yanokovich

May 31, 2008
Montreal
I know what you're saying, but the guy compared him to Crosby. That's extremely unfair to RNH who hasn't done anything spectacular at the Junior level.

I understand his vision, offensive awareness, hands, etc; He is an elite prospect, I won't deny it.

But the point remains the same, Kane (A guy Bob Mckenzie compared RNH too) was much further along in terms of developement at the same age. RNH isn't on the same level as Crosby in terms of playmaking, I would actually compare him to Kane but less of a shooter.

Personally, I don't think any player in this draft has 100 point potential. I think RNH will develope into a great offensive player but to say he's the best playmaker since Crosby is ridiculous.

Kane was extremely impressive to watch live aswell. Except he went well beyond 2 points per game and scored more then a goal a game.

I dont compared him to crosby,i say he is the best playmaker SINCE Crosby,nuance.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I dont compared him to crosby,i say he is the best playmaker SINCE Crosby,nuance.

Saying he's the best playmaker since Crosby is still comparing his playmaking to Crosby's. You're using Crosby as a measuring stick, and thus comparing them together to get an idea of how good RNH is.

ZugNugget

Feb 19, 2008
Passing on a guy who is said to be better than Lidstrom (at his age), is really, really hard to pass up on.

Most asinine statement I keep hearing this year (this is not meant as a reflection on you, a lot of people, including TSN analysts, are saying it).

Lidstrom was a late 2nd round pick in the '89 draft. Of course a potential 1st overall pick is better at 18 years old than Lidstrom was.

HossTheBoss said:
Saying he's the best playmaker since Crosby is still comparing his playmaking to Crosby's. You're using Crosby as a measuring stick, and thus comparing them together to get an idea of how good RNH is.

He's comparing RNH to every player OTHER than Crosby. He's using every other player as a measuring stick (Stamkos, Kane, etc). Saying someone is the second best is acknowledging that someone else is the best, and that every other person isn't as good by comparison.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Oilers picked RNH 1st overall over Larsson. You can talk about BPA, but some organizations employ different strategies. A number of organizations wouldn't take Larsson 1st overall because they don't believe defensemen should be drafted that high.

Stu McGregor is also very high on RNH and has gushed about his skill and dynamism.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
OLEKSIAK = 6'7", 245 lbs :)

Wonder if the Sharks would take him that early, I see him more of a late first rounder, early second rounder. Solid draft prospect all the same.

Can't teach size. Most didn't see McIlrath going at #10 last year either. I think he'll be back third of the first but this year nothing would surprise me.

scoutman1

Twitter - scoutman33
Feb 19, 2005
www.facebook.com
Standing February 5 2011

1-Edmonton: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins C 6'0 164 Red Deer WHL CAN
2-Ny Islanders: Adam Larsson D 6'3 220 Skelleftea Elitserien SWE
3-New Jersey:Sean Couturier C 6'4 191 Drummondville QMJHL CAN
4-Ottawa: Gabriel Landeskog RW 6'1 207 Kitchener OHL SWE
5-Boston: Ryan Murphy D 5'11 176 Kitchener OHL CAN
6-Buffalo: Jonathan Huberdeau C 6'1 171 Saint John QMJHL CAN
7-Florida: Ryan Strome C 6'1 183 Niagara OHL CAN
8-Columbus: Dougie Hamilton D 6'4 193 Niagara OHL CAN
9-St-Louis: Duncan Siemens D 6'3 200 Saskatoon WHL CAN
10-Carolina: Tyler Biggs RW 6'2 207 USNTDP USHL USA
11-Colorado: Nathan Beaulieu D 6'3 191 Saint John QMJHL
12-Atlanta: Brandon Saad LW 6'2 211 Saginaw OHL USA
13-Calgary: Joel Armia RW 6'3 187 Assat SM-liiga FIN
14-Los Angeles: Sven Bartschi LW 5'10 185 Portland WHL SWI
15-Chicago: Ty Rattie RW 6'0 170 Portland WHL CAN
16-Phoenix: Victor Rask C 6'2 194 Leksand Elitserien SWE
17-Minnesota: Matt Puempel LW 6'0 190 Peterborough OHL CAN
18-Anaheim: Mark McNeill C 6'2 210 Prince Albert WHL CAN
19-San Jose: Jamie Oleksiak D 6'7 245 Northeastern Univ. NCAA CAN
20-Nashville: Mark Scheifele C 6'3 175 Barrie OHL CAN
21-Ny Rangers: David Musil D 6'3 200 Vancouver WHL CZE
22-Montreal: Mika Zibanejad C 6'2 192 Djurgarden Elitserien SWE
23-Dallas: Myles Bell D 6'0 202 Regina WHL CAN
24-Washington: Jonas Brodin D 6'1 172 Farjestad Elitserien SWE
25-Boston: Adam Clendening D 5'11 190 Boston Univ. NCAA USA
26-Detroit: Rickard Rakell RW 6'1 185 Plymouth OHL SWE
27-Tampa Bay: Scott Mayfield D 6'3 175 Youngstown USHL USA
28-Pittsburgh: Luca Lessio LW 6'1 200 Oshawa OHL CAN
29-Philadelphia: Dmitrij Jaskin RW 6'1 196 HC Slava Praha CZE
30-Vancouver: Nicklas D. Jensen LW 6'3 186 Oshawa OHL DEN

Nathan Beaulieu will not be that high...a lot of over hype for him on these boards but I think he is a good offensive player with good speed who looks good because he is always involved with the offensive play so you hear his name a lot but when you look at his fine tunning game you realize he is a big liability on the ice and does not offer much in the defensive zone.

rigger

Aug 18, 2004
Jessica Alba's Dream
If EDM gets #1, can't see any scenario where they wouldn't take Larsson

This is how I feel.

to be honest personally i don't see gagner ever being our legit first line centre..

Remember when we had Pronger and everyone was better? Im not giving him full credit but with Smyth and Hemsky, Horcoff scored over 70 points. Everything starts at the defense and if we have a great d core that can gain possession and hit out forwards in stride or carry the puck themselves we'll be far better on the rush and if Horcoff can hit 76 points Gagner can.

I want Couturier and Larsson or Larsson and Schenn but I want Larsson the most. Though I bounce around back and forth a bit, lately I've been on the larsson train. He's 6'3 220 already and has been playing with men, not boys.

Ghost of jas

Unsatisfied
Feb 27, 2002
NJ
Given the depth of D-men in the organization, and the crying for skill upfront, I don't see the Rangers taking Musil. I expect the to target one of the centers...Miller, McNeil or Scheifele all seem to fit the bill. I could see the Rangers taking D-man if he was clearly the BPA, or a potential PP QB. But, the Rangers hardly lack for stay-at-home D-men, especially since Sauer and McDonagh have progressed so nicely.

Gobo

Stop looking Gare
Jun 29, 2010
This is how I feel.

Remember when we had Pronger and everyone was better? Im not giving him full credit but with Smyth and Hemsky, Horcoff scored over 70 points. Everything starts at the defense and if we have a great d core that can gain possession and hit out forwards in stride or carry the puck themselves we'll be far better on the rush and if Horcoff can hit 76 points Gagner can.

I want Couturier and Larsson or Larsson and Schenn but I want Larsson the most. Though I bounce around back and forth a bit, lately I've been on the larsson train. He's 6'3 220 already and has been playing with men, not boys.

This. If we can get someone that can be near Pronger-calibre, look what he did for our 06 team.

Larsson, if we don't get a chance at him then RNH is a great second place prize.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
I'm not really sold on a few of the guys you have going later on in the first. Players that I could use a scouting report to maybe persuade me the other way:

19-San Jose: Jamie Oleksiak D 6'7 245 Northeastern Univ. NCAA CAN

- People just seem attracted to his size despite his inability to produce offensively. He still needs a lot of working on his turning but it sound positionally. I think hes the Tinordi of this years draft. Not sure he has the skill to be anything more then a bottom pairing guy in the NHL.

20-Nashville: Mark Scheifele C 6'3 175 Barrie OHL CAN

The guy is putting up point and has the size to go with it, but 9 of his 16 goals have come on the powerplay and he is -16. I see him more as a second round player.

25-Boston: Adam Clendening D 5'11 190 Boston Univ. NCAA USA

He can put up points but his size in concerning for a guy who isn't an elite puck mover. Probably a second rounder but could see him going in the first- still think their are better options.

26-Detroit: Rickard Rakell RW 6'1 185 Plymouth OHL SWE

Is 5th on his team in scoring and has scored 8 of his 18 goals on the powerplay. I dont see him having the skill level to warrant crazy PP time in the NHL. Not sure he can play a checking role. Second round guy.

28-Pittsburgh: Luca Lessio LW 6'1 200 Oshawa OHL CAN

Lessio seems to very skilled, but im still not sold on his defensive side of the game. I could see him going late in the first round but I'm still not sold on his hockey smarts.

I would rather see a bit more skill in there with Alexandr Khokhlachev, Vladislav Namestnikov, Tomas Jurco, and Shane Prince in there.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
RNH might not even be taken top 5. Honestly he's incredibly over-rated on this board it's insane. He's a great talent, but seriously.

prongertheman9

May 30, 2010
RNH might not even be taken top 5. Honestly he's incredibly over-rated on this board it's insane. He's a great talent, but seriously.

Coming from the guy who tries to make every single thread he is involved in about Ryan Strome!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->