My 2 cents on the Russians' taunting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
triggrman said:
again, to me the worse thing was the the players and coaches on the benches turning around to taunt the spectators. You can't justify that, no matter how hard you try.

Why not? What if the fans behind them were calling them names? Maybe even yelling something racist? I clearly heard "go home you commie bastards" at least once. Who knows what else did they have to endure during the game.

It's not like they did the Nylanders.

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
triggrman said:
again, to me the worse thing was the the players and coaches on the benches turning around to taunt the spectators. You can't justify that, no matter how hard you try.
While I agree with you, isn't that pretty common in the NFL ?

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
TBJF said:
Mostly children who humiliated themselves, and their nation.

Yes, let's just forget the score of the game. It has nothing to do with a hockey game anyway.

And how did they humiliate their nation? Only an American could think like that.

Rick Middleton

May 14, 2002
Ottawa, ON
Enough with the petty bickering, to both sides. Drop it already. Discuss it like civilized adults or don't bother posting at all.

Consider yourselves warned.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
You know I'm going to go against the grain here and say I think its just a bunch of fans that can't accept losing and are looking for any grace in the loss.

Lets face it's popular American culture to "rub it in while ahead". Touchdown celebrations and slam dunks in the other players face when the game is out of hand.

It was not nice of the Russians to lay it on a little thick, but did anything or anyone get hurt but a little American pride? I'd be more concerened about the high sticks and running of players once the game got out of hand personally.

You lost to a very good team, get over it

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
NataSatan666 said:
You know I'm going to go against the grain here and say I think its just a bunch of fans that can't accept losing and are looking for any grace in the loss.

Lets face it's popular American culture to "rub it in while ahead". Touchdown celebrations and slam dunks in the other players face when the game is out of hand.

It was not nice of the Russians to lay it on a little thick, but did anything or anyone get hurt but a little American pride? I'd be more concerened about the high sticks and running of players once the game got out of hand personally.

You lost to a very good team, get over it
considering noone got ran or high stuck intentionally....

Did you watch the game?

The high stick was a follow through.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
mcphee said:
While I agree with you, isn't that pretty common in the NFL ?
I've never seen it, and I've been to a ton of games. If Jeff Fisher acted like that to the fans, I'd want him fired.

Small jabs through the media at a rival is one thing, the Russian bench took it to a new level.

Poignant Discussion*

I tell it like it is
Jul 18, 2003
Gatineau, QC
triggrman said:
considering noone got ran or high stuck intentionally....

Did you watch the game?

The high stick was a follow through.

Uh huh sure it was. More like the oldest trick in the hockey book. But I don't care as another poster said in another thread. What about the end of the Belarus game>

Did Belarus taunt the Americans just to be beat up at the end of the game?

And ya I watched it and other than a few players on both teams was not at all impressed by either team. I think they are just going to be fodder for Canada, but we will see

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
triggrman said:
I've never seen it, and I've been to a ton of games. If Jeff Fisher acted like that to the fans, I'd want him fired.

Small jabs through the media at a rival is one thing, the Russian bench took it to a new level.
I remember cringing when Shockey did it in SF a few years back in SF [that worked out well for him] and got the idea that itwas pretty common for players to pull that.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
mcphee said:
I remember cringing when Shockey did it in SF a few years back in SF [that worked out well for him] and got the idea that itwas pretty common for players to pull that.
as individuals it is, but again I've never seen coaches and players as a group do it.

QcS

Sep 13, 2003
au Québec!
Visit site
People are acting as if it's the first time they see taunting in the world juniors.

I distinctively remember a certain Alexandre Daigle taunting the hell out of the Czechs after scoring the clinching goal... hmmm..

mcphee

Feb 6, 2003
Visit site
triggrman said:
as individuals it is, but again I've never seen coaches and players as a group do it.
By extension then, I just can't see a coach urging teenagers to act like that. In the end, it was smart ass kids acting like smart ass kids, not some organized strategy. I didn't see anyone on either side making themselves look too classy as this one wound down. I'm pretty sure that Sutter will be stressing what to ignore in his meetings today though.

PanthersRule96

Jun 15, 2003
Visit site
McDonald19 said:
The worst thing was the Russian Player who pushed the net off in order to get a whistle when USA had a scoring chance.

That was pathetic.
The ESPN announcers made it out like O'Sullivan had a wide open net in the slot with the goalie in the corner when the guy pushed it off. The US had their shot and it went into the corner where Russia was skating it out when the guy came in. Didn't stop a scoring chance for the US.

BTW, Shirokov is terrible for taunting. :shakehead

What was Ovechkin doing after he scored the one goal. Was he rubbing it in the fans face???? Or was he just celebrating with his coach as he like pointed to himself with his gloves pumping his arms and then turned around and pointed to his name so I think that must have been taunting as well.

Taunting IMO is pretty uncalled for, but not as bad like that time Kovalchuk skated by both FLA and EDM benches in different games after getting illegal curve penalties and brushing off the snow. That way it was subtle, but stuff like last night is messed up. They were asking the USA to start a brawl. Don't taunt the fans, that's the worst thing to do.

TBJF

Brick by Ga-borik
Apr 23, 2003
Central Hiya
tommi462 said:
Yes, let's just forget the score of the game. It has nothing to do with a hockey game anyway..

In my opinion, losing is not, in and of itself, humiliating - even losing by a lopsided score on home ice. It's depressing and frustrating and a whole bunch of other things, but not humiliating. It's a game - sometimes you win, sometimes you lose.

tommi462 said:
And how did they humiliate their nation?.

By displaying a lack of class and maturity. (In my opinion, of course.)

tommi462 said:
Only an American could think like that.

Generalize much? Why do you assume I am an American? (In point of fact, I am a Yank, and damn proud of it, but that has nothing to do with me thinking such taunting - by any player, in any sport, from any nation - is crap which should have no place in sports.

Lou is God

Nov 10, 2003
New Jersey
My 2 Cents

One of the reasons hockey has always been my favorite sport is that it usually does not tolerate prima donna's and showboating, that while the action and the fighting on the ice can look uncivil at times it is considered part of the game and respect is still showed to your opponent. But these taunting actions by the Russians are something I expect Terrell Owens or Latrell Sprewell to pull off in their sport and that hockey was someplace I could expect would be free of these antics. Sadly now it's not.

Shouldn't hockey still seperate itself from the other major sports as one that is free of individualism and showboating are shall we become part of the ESPN "It's all about me" culture that makes me sick everyday?

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
TBJF said:
By displaying a lack of class and maturity. (In my opinion, of course.)

Yes, but how does that humiliate the whole nation. I can see how it shames the player or maybe even the team (even though I don't even agree with that), but I don't see how it shames the nation. It's not like everyone in the country is like that, and if people think like that after they see a few Russians taunting, they are not very smart then, are they?

TBJF said:
Generalize much? Why do you assume I am an American? (In point of fact, I am a Yank, and damn proud of it, but that has nothing to do with me thinking such taunting - by any player, in any sport, from any nation - is crap which should have no place in sports.

I assumed you were an American because you talked in such a patriotic way and I didn't mean it had anything to do with your opinion on taunting, but your opinion on "humiliating the whole nation". That just sounded really American to me, I don't really know why.

There are certain things that usually reveals someone as an American, but it doesn't always work, of course.

Some of them are:

1. Using the word offensive or offend seriously
2. Using the word nation in a certain way
3. Using the word pride in a certain context
4. Using the word justice in weird sentences

It's hard to explain really, and these aren't really rules or anything, but they have worked really often. I hope no one takes this in a negative way since that was not my meaning, simply answering the question presented.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I think people should have to pass a mental and emotional IQ test before posting on these boards....seriously!

How many times do we watch a thread get completely hosed because of a handful of morons?! All it takes is one to say something stupid and then the otherside "quotes" that one and applies it as if that is how everyone who shares the same nationality must feel. Oh and lets not forget about the black and whiteness of it all. Nothing is ever allowed to be contextual. It really is amazing...almost as amazing as the fact that I keep coming back which proves I wouldn't be even be able to pass the test I proposed. :shakehead

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
MOGiLNY said:
And maybe it seemed like it was the coach's orders for the US players to start running the Russians early on in the game?

U didnt even see the game and your acting like you did. Running into the players? Its called a contact sport. And anything they did illegal was called.

swflyers8*

Let Malkin and Ovechkin do what they like, their payback is coming. Oh yes, it is.

They have to play for Pittsburgh and Washington, that's the worst payback I can think of for 2 guys like that. :lol:

MOGiLNY

Jul 7, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
FLYLine4LIFE said:
U didnt even see the game and your acting like you did. Running into the players? Its called a contact sport. And anything they did illegal was called.

alright then, and since Ovechkin and Malkin didn't get called for showboating, then they did nothing illegal.

X8oD

Feb 27, 2002
612 Warf Ave.
MOGiLNY said:
alright then, and since Ovechkin and Malkin didn't get called for showboating, then they did nothing illegal.

its on video...

like the game, you should check it out!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad