My 1st ever mockdraft, top 10

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
1st overall:
Ovechkin, what can I say that u guys dont already know :)? Franchise player for who ever team that pick him.

2nd overall:
Malkin, IMO he is european version of Eric Staal. He can do it all and whatever u told him to do, he do it. A hard working russian, rare to see ;) He have a weak shot, but he is a playmaker so... and Im sure with time he shot will be better.

3rd overall:
Olesz, he can do it all! a complete package with no flaw! I think he is a powerforward in making a la Owen Nolan, except Olesz got better skating.

4th overall:
Barker, well here is an offensive d-men that I think also can play good defense. I think he is the best d-men in this year draft. He have been good all year long, so I dont know why his stock have fallen. But he is a very fine d-men!

5th overall:
Schremp, here is an wildcard. He got tons! tons! of potential but he can either be a 1st liner center or a minor star. If he can controll his attitude I think he will be an fine and a flashy player with his skills for whomever that pick him. Get him under a coach like Lemaire he will reach his maximal potential, and that is scary man!

6th overall:
Wolski, his game is simple but he get the job done. He is not a flashy player but he is a very hard worker. The only thing I dont like is he dont use his size enought. He should punish some kid with the size he got!

7th overall:
Tukonen, actually if I got to pick I will pick this guy in the top 5! Why? His style will fit perfect in NA. He got the wheels, the scoring touch, the shot, the stickhandling the size that he use very well, all that combined with his awesome vision! I dont know why he dont rank higher on others list. I really like his skill and his game, and have I mention he is a hard worker as well? The thing that he maybe should work on is his passing and defensive. But I should not worry about it, as he will get older he will be better in those aspect. And heck even if he dont, I will still be happy with him, he is a offensive player and a goalscorer so those weakness is natural :)

8th overall:
Schwarz, IMO the best goalie in this year draft. And in past years draft goalie have been taken in top 10 so here is ya goalie to go top 10 in this year draft. He is very quick, but Im not sure he got a style he use as a goalie. But I think with time he will find a style and use it very well.

9th overall:
Picard, maybe I rank him to hight, but if someone take a chance on this guy he will turn out to be a another Tanguay! not only does his vital and numbers look like Tanguay back then, but they play a very similar game too. But that is just my opinion, as I dont think he will go 9th overall. That spot belong to Chipchura/Radulov/Smid...

10th overall:
A.J. Thelen, he got the size and his stellar season have not gotten unnotice. And his stock have risen lately and by the draft he will be a top 10 and someone will be very happy to pick him at this spot. Heck I think he will even go higher!

Well that was my first ever mockdraft guys, hope ya like it.

moosefan

Feb 27, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
I don't know about the Tanguay comparison with Picard. Tanguay was a slick puch handler with great vision and passing. Picard can carry the puck but is kind of choppy with his stickhandling also I don't find Picards passing is up to par with the rest of his game either.

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
moosefan said:
I don't know about the Tanguay comparison with Picard. Tanguay was a slick puch handler with great vision and passing. Picard can carry the puck but is kind of choppy with his stickhandling also I don't find Picards passing is up to par with the rest of his game either.

Agreed.

He is slower than Tanguay, doesnt have his vision nor his shot. Only thing Picard has on Tanguay is his willingness to be physical.

Picard is overrated here for some reason. I see him as a 15-25 pick.

Daniel_Tkaczuk

May 4, 2003
Downtown Halifax
Visit site
La-La-Laprise said:
Agreed.

He is slower than Tanguay, doesnt have his vision nor his shot. Only thing Picard has on Tanguay is his willingness to be physical.

Picard is overrated here for some reason. I see him as a 15-25 pick.

ditto. he needs to learn how to skate as well, he's way too low to the ground.

leafaholix*

Dark Metamorphosis said:
what current player would you all compare schremp to?
Hmm... I'm just throwing a name out there... but, Jeremy Roenick.

Anyone who's seen him on a regular basis can probably correct me.

leafaholix*

Roberto Luongo said:
Oooh, Schremp and Wolski will be drafted in the top 10 for sure, I gurantee it.
Schremp didn't really improve his numbers from his rookie season.

I think it was only by 2 points... it's hard to "guarentee" he'll go top 10.

Bluenote13

Believe In Henke
Feb 28, 2002
BKLYN, NYC
First off - Glad you have Thelen in the top ten, he really is that good and might very well be drafted higher than that.

Secondly - Change Picard to Andrew Ladd. There are mixed reviews out there on both these players, I just think Ladd is the safer pick and come draft day most GM's/scouts will agree.

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Roberto Luongo said:
Oooh, Schremp and Wolski will be drafted in the top 10 for sure, I gurantee it.

Twould be foolish to guarantee anything like that given how many surprises happen on draft day. It's not inconceivable that one or both of these two are taken outside the top 10. Guaranteeing a guy like Barker or Malkin going in the top 10 is a safe bet. Yours is not a safe bet.

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
Leafaholix said:
Schremp didn't really improve his numbers from his rookie season.

I think it was only by 2 points... it's hard to "guarentee" he'll go top 10.

Points is not everything, players can have a bad season or two. The talents is there and I dont know if he got as much icetime as he got when he was still with the IceDogs. And like I said, he is a wild card so either he go to AHL or NHL. But with his talent the sky is the limit if he does pan put, so he maybe turn out to be a good player. So why would team not pick him in the top 10 :) a la Bouchard a couple of draft ago.

leafaholix*

Roberto Luongo said:
Points is not everything, players can have a bad season or two. The talents is there and I dont know if he got as much icetime as he got when he was still with the IceDogs. And like I said, he is a wild card so either he go to AHL or NHL. But with his talent the sky is the limit if he does pan put, so he maybe turn out to be a good player. So why would team not pick him in the top 10 :) a la Bouchard a couple of draft ago.
The only player in the draft that's not a "wildcard" is Ovechkin. The rest of them have the possibility of busting. Schremp is no exception, so saying he's a "wildcard" isn't a good reason to go in the top 10.

Pierre-Marc Bouchard is a totally different situation... he actually improved his numbers, Schremp went from an average team to one of the top teams in junior hockey and didn't really do much more statistically... even with a crazy number of minutes.

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
Leafaholix said:
The only player in the draft that's not a "wildcard" is Ovechkin. The rest of them have the possibility of busting. Schremp is no exception, so saying he's a "wildcard" isn't a good reason to go in the top 10.

Pierre-Marc Bouchard is a totally different situation... he actually improved his numbers, Schremp went from an average team to one of the top teams in junior hockey and didn't really do much more statistically... even with a crazy number of minutes.

Why is Ovechkin not a wildcard? Im not denying his talent but are not all prospect wildcards? Not all hight picks have turned out to be great. I said Schremp is a wildcard because IMO he will either be a NHL star player or a AHL player, its not beetwen. And coming to a better team dont always improve ya stats. Maybe when u are on an average team u will get more icetime as an 1st line center than goin to a good team and get icetime as an 2nd line center.

leafaholix*

Roberto Luongo said:
Why is Ovechkin not a wildcard? Im not denying his talent but are not all prospect wildcards? Not all hight picks have turned out to be great. I said Schremp is a wildcard because IMO he will either be a NHL star player or a AHL player, its not beetwen. And coming to a better team dont always improve ya stats. Maybe when u are on an average team u will get more icetime as an 1st line center than goin to a good team and get icetime as an 2nd line center.
There are exceptions... Alexander Ovechkin is one.

And to say Schremp's going to be an all-star or an AHL player is a very bold statement.

Hug Ben Laf

#86 #10 #13
Mar 22, 2002
Im the guy next door
Leafaholix said:
There are exceptions... Alexander Ovechkin is one.

And to say Schremp's going to be an all-star or an AHL player is a very bold statement.

Tell me why Ovechkin an exception? there have been many, many 1st overall that have not dont much in NHL. Im not saying Ovechkin will be a bust, but no one is a sure thing.

leafaholix*

I've heard scouts say he's one of the top 5 players in the world... not just in Russia.

That's why he's an exception, when you hear scouts talk like that about a prospect, he's no wildcard.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad