My 05' mock draft (with analysis)

Status
Not open for further replies.

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
1. Pittsburgh Penguins Sidney Crosby C
The Penguins waste no time drafting the most hyped prospect since Eric Lindros. Is Crosby the NHL's saviour? Maybe - maybe not, but he's a hell of a hockey player. Personally, I think he's Peter Forsberg not Wayne Gretzky but we'll see.

Comparison: Peter Forsberg

2. Anaheim Mighty Ducks Jack Johnson D
A typical smooth skating, sharp-shooting, nasty defenceman that Brian Burke loves. Think Ed Jovanovski. The Ducks will think long and hard about the forwards they could select at this point - but opt for the highly touted Johnson, who has franchise potential in the mold of a Jovanovski/Rob Blake.

Comparison: Ed Jovanovski

3. Carolina Hurricanes Gilbert Brule C
Once again a tough pick for the Canes' as there is not much between prospects #2-6 after Crosby, but the Canes will go for Brule creating a Brule/Staal 1-2 punch down the middle. Described as the second most skilled player in the draft by all of Redline, Prospects magazine, and ISS - Brule's upside is questioned due to his smallish stature. But with his genetalia size will be no issue - think of Daniel Alfredsson only a better scoring touch.

Comparison: Jeremy Roenick

4. Minnesota Wild Benoit Pouliot LW
The Wild play a quick transition game - and Ben Pouliot is as fast as they come for a 6'3'' monster. Pouliot has perhaps the softest hands in the draft, which makes scouts drool over his Lecavalier type potential. However there are a lot of skeptics that worry about Pouliot's sudden rise - Andrew Ladd part 2? We'll see.

Comparison: Vin Lecavalier

5. Montreal Canadiens Bobby Ryan RW
Time after time we've heard rumblings about how the Habs need to get bigger and more skilled up front. Well, Bob Gainey recieves a gift as the 221 pound American falls into his lap at #5. Ryan is a highly skilled big man with finishing touch around the net. However there is the case of his skating, but come on - its not like he's Guillame Latendresse.

Comparison: Glen Murray

6. Columbus Blue Jackets Anze Kopitar C
The BJ's will be thrilled to see the ultra talented Slovenian available at #6. Thought of a Nash-Kopitar-Zherdev line are scary - but its a very real possibility for the future. Kopitar was only seen by fans at the mens WC's, but scouts have been following him for a while now. His skating is only average, but that can be improved.

Comparison: Dany Heatley

7. Chicago Blackhawks Carey Price G
Hands down the best goaltender available in the draft, Price should be scooped up by the Hawks who could use a #1 goaltender after Thibault leaves (which may be soon). Price has learned from one of the best in Tri-City's - Olaf Kolzig. At 6'3'' 215, Price has the size and calmness to be a stud.

Comparison: Olaf Kolzig

8. Atlanta Thrashers Ryan O'Marra C
Maybe not the best player on the board, and surely not the most potential - but the safest pick and probably the best as well. Thought of as a future captain (at least an assistant) by most experts, O'Marra is one of those heart and soul players. His scoring touch is questioned, but he did score a point-per-game in his draft year, something guys like Ryan Getzlaf and Eric Fehr didn't do, for example.

Comparison: Trevor Linden

9. Ottawa Senators Jack Skille RW
Just to piss off myself and fellow Canuck fans the Senators will take Skille. Just kidding, in all seriousness - Skille is a perfect pick for the Sens. Good size at 6'1'' 210, and a real scoring touch. Perhaps the best arsenal of shooting in the draft outside of Gilbert Brule. Skille should play a good role next year at Wisconsin.

Comparison: Bill Guerin

10. Vancouver Canucks Marc Staal D
The Canucks lack a stud D prospect, and with their hopes of Skille shattered - they will take the BPA available Marc Staal (and maybe pull the trigger on a trade, but we'll see). Eric's younger brother has really seen his stock rise since the top prospects game - even to the point where he is considered the best defenceman in the draft period by some NHL scouts. Staal is a defensive defenceman who should play a top 4 role in the NHL.

Comparison: Keith Carney

11. LA Kings Luc Bourdon D
Canada's #1 defenceman at the U-18's. Bourdon combines size, skating, offensive skills, and defensive awareness.

Comparison: Chris Phillips

12. San Jose Sharks Marek Zagrapan C
Sharks will have no problem taking a risk on the highly skilled Zagrapan, who's talents are among the top 5 of the draft.

Comparison: Pavol Demitra

13. Buffalo Sabres Martin Hanzal C
6'4'' highly skilled centre has seen his stock skyrocket. Loads of potential but is a giant (no punn intendid) risk.

Comparison: Michal Handzus

14. Washington Capitals Matt Lashoff D
Described as a 'gem' by Redline. Lashoff would look very good in a Capitals jersey to help their defence corps.

Comparison: Bryan McCabe

15. New York Islanders Kenndal McArdle LW/RW
The gritty Vancouver native scored 37 goals in the WHL this season and plays a style that will suit the Isles well. 2nd line winger potential.

Comparison: Brendan Morrow

16. New York Rangers Alex Bourret C/W
5'9'' fireplug who hits like a tank. Offensive potential is questioned at the next level, so he will slip well out of the top 10.

17. Phoenix Coyotes Ryan Parent D
steady defenceman who played a solid role with Canada at the U18's. One of those 'safe' picks that you can count on.

18. Nashville Predators Ryan Stoa C
Highly skilled American product was once considered even with J.Skille. Nashville wont let the centreman slip any further than #18.

19. Detroit Red Wings Niklas Bergfors RW
Once again Detroit will rely on their European scouting staff to take the sleeper Nik Bergfors. More like 5'9'' than 5'11'', Bergfors has a nose for the net, as they say.

20. Philadelphia Flyers Guillame Latendresse RW
At 6'2'' 215 GL is intriging. Slower than molasis, Latendresse will have to utilize his other skills if he wants to be a player.

21. Toronto Maple Leafs Devin Setoguchi RW
A human tap-water machine, hot and cold. When he's hot, theres no one hotter. Goal scoring winger potential.

22. Boston Bruins Jakub Kindl D
Smooth, big, and skilled. Kindl has powerplay QB written all over him. Maybe even a B version of Sergei Gonchar.

23. New Jersey Devils Andrew Cogliano C/W
Cogliano would be one of the top prospects for the draft if he wasn't 5'9''. Perhaps the fastest skater of the class.

24. St.Louis Blues Brendan Mikkelson D
Big, mobile defenceman from the Portland Winter Hawks. Mikkelson has top 4 potential.

25. Edmonton Oilers Tuuka Rask G
Second best goalie in the draft. Impresses scouts and fans alike with his WJC performance.

26. Calgary Flames Michael Blunden RW
Not a sexy pick by any means, but a solid grinder that you just know Sutter will have his eyes on.

27. Colorado Avalanche Brian Lee D
Picked for American WJC over Jack Johnson. Lee has top 4 potential thanks mainly to his flashy offensive skills.

28. Dallas Stars Chris Durand C
Maybe the best playmaker from the WHL outside of Brule. Durand could be a top 2 line centreman for the Stars. Good size at 6'2''.

29. Florida Panthers Scott Jackson D
6'4'' mobile defender would fit in well under Keenan. Jackson is a likeable kid with a mean streak on the ice.

30. Tampa Bay Lighting Daniel Bertram RW/LW
The Boston college product is an under-sized winger with loads of potential. Considered a top prospect for this draft only 15 months ago.

turnbuckle*

monster_bertuzzi said:
3. Carolina Hurricanes Gilbert Brule C
Once again a tough pick for the Canes' as there is not much between prospects #2-6 after Crosby, but the Canes will go for Brule creating a Brule/Staal 1-2 punch down the middle. Described as the second most skilled player in the draft by all of Redline, Prospects magazine, and ISS - Brule's upside is questioned due to his smallish stature. But with his genetalia size will be no issue - think of Daniel Alfredsson only a better scoring touch.

Comparison: Jeremy Roenick

Good analysis BTW, but I couldn't help but notice the genetalia comment.

First of all, how would you know how well hung Brule is?

Second, what advantage does having a big schlong have on the ice? Are you figuring that it's his "secret weapon?" Always nice to have an extra stick on the ice I suppose.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
I have all sorts of problems with this, but not so much with the order (because every list is different, I'm rarely going to dispute something like that), but with some of the descriptions and comparisons. I can't help but feel that some of the commentary is misleading.

However, what I would like to point out is that I've read people blasting HF for having the goalies slip so far in our Mock Draft. And yet, it seems like every team's fans get upset when a mock draft has them selecting a goalie. And on top of that you have individuals who are apparently NHL GM's making ridiculous comments like "Zero chance the Hawks pick Price, sorry" and "There's no way Kindl goes before Lee." Have the past several years not taught you people ANYTHING?

projexns

Matchups Matter
Mar 5, 2002
Forsling, OK
Visit site
Well done.

I read the draft as the Big Six followed by two goalies, two safe picks (O'meara, Staal) and a few picks sprinkled in amongst the goalies and safe picks
depending on preferences. The only anomaly to that is Rask at #25..........

fullmetalninja

Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
Balej's Dance said:
And that is because? The draft really needs to come sooner so people stop making absolute statements when ridiculous stuff happens EACH and EVERY draft.

thebob- Balej Dance is right. I think the hawks could possibly draft Crosby at #7.

Because, you know the absolute statement that Crosby is going #1 is just as much speculation. Right?

The hawks are not taking a goaltender with their #1 pick. Tallon has said that he doesn't see a great difference between his pick, and the next 5-6 selections so it depends on what a team needs. He had previously said that his team needs to draft some playmakers up front.

Now I'm not trying to be an absolut-ist here... If Price during the interviews said that he is willing to switch to wing, the hawks *may* draft him.

Oh btw... The hawks won't select Price.

-fullmetalninja

Patty Ice

Straight to the Banc
Feb 27, 2002
Not California
turnbuckle said:
Good analysis BTW, but I couldn't help but notice the genetalia comment.

First of all, how would you know how well hung Brule is?

Second, what advantage does having a big schlong have on the ice? Are you figuring that it's his "secret weapon?" Always nice to have an extra stick on the ice I suppose.

:biglaugh: :handclap:

Default101

Chicago has no use for price, Leighton it hink has enough skill to backstop Thibeault, and Anderson is nearly a dead lock plus don't they have another prospect? Chicago goes for Jack, they need offence, bad.... I actually have Price going to Vancouver, Cloutier has been dissapointing in the playoffs, and with Hedburg staying in Sweden all they have is Auld, so Price pays off in the end and could eventually give a very awesome 1-2 punch in net... Matt Lashoff DOES NOT = Bryan McCabe sorry... agree with the Setogouchi... assuming the leafs don't find some way to screw up another 1st round pick

Anthony Mauro

DraftBuzz Hockey
Oct 3, 2004
www.draftbuzzhockey.com
fullmetalninja said:
thebob- Balej Dance is right. I think the hawks could possibly draft Crosby at #7.

Because, you know the absolute statement that Crosby is going #1 is just as much speculation. Right?

The hawks are not taking a goaltender with their #1 pick. Tallon has said that he doesn't see a great difference between his pick, and the next 5-6 selections so it depends on what a team needs. He had previously said that his team needs to draft some playmakers up front.

Now I'm not trying to be an absolut-ist here... If Price during the interviews said that he is willing to switch to wing, the hawks *may* draft him.

Oh btw... The hawks won't select Price.

-fullmetalninja

Thanks for the chuckle.

Actually, Crosby going #1 is not just as much speculation. Its basically down to the GM Patrick being a complete fool if he didn't take him. Nice try, though come again.

Its very easy for logical people to see that after the top six, the number one rated goalie Price could be number 7 on someone's list. Whats the difference between a Price or a O'Marra, Skille, Zagrapan. Thats right, there is none.

-BD

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
Ry-Dogg said:
Chicago has no use for price, Leighton it hink has enough skill to backstop Thibeault, and Anderson is nearly a dead lock plus don't they have another prospect? Chicago goes for Jack, they need offence, bad.... I actually have Price going to Vancouver, Cloutier has been dissapointing in the playoffs, and with Hedburg staying in Sweden all they have is Auld, so Price pays off in the end and could eventually give a very awesome 1-2 punch in net... Matt Lashoff DOES NOT = Bryan McCabe sorry... agree with the Setogouchi... assuming the leafs don't find some way to screw up another 1st round pick

I'm certainly not into absolutes, but I'd have to say it is not particularly likely that Vancouver takes a goalie with Auld, Schneider, and Ellis already in the system (plus Mensator and McIver and Violin). They could, certainly, but I don't see them as any more likely than Chicago to take a goalie.

fullmetalninja

Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
Balej's Dance said:
Thanks for the chuckle.

Actually, Crosby going #1 is not just as much speculation. Its basically down to the GM Patrick being a complete fool if he didn't take him. Nice try, though come again.

Its very easy for logical people to see that after the top six, the number one rated goalie Price could be number 7 on someone's list. Whats the difference between a Price or a O'Marra, Skille, Zagrapan. Thats right, there is none.

-BD

;)

I agree... I think someone who *wants* a goalie could very well look at chicago as a trading partner (and tallon said he would definately listen to offers). No disagreement there.

But.. Chicago won't be the one selecting Price- not without hearing the collective groan of the 10,000 remaining hawk fans...

-fullmetalninja

monster_bertuzzi

May 26, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Thanks for the comments everyone. Fullmetal: Leighton and Anderson are unproven and Price is considered a very good goaltender prospect. Why wouldn't the Hawks pick him? Sorry, I fail to see how it is impossible.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
monster_bertuzzi said:
Thanks for the comments everyone. Fullmetal: Leighton and Anderson are unproven and Price is considered a very good goaltender prospect. Why wouldn't the Hawks pick him? Sorry, I fail to see how it is impossible.

One thing I've noticed a lot here is that fans tend to really overvalue the presence of mediocre goaltending prospects in their system that are likely to be backups, marginal starters for weak teams, or AHL players. Obviously Atlanta isn't going to pick Carey Price. But are Leighton and Anderson really good enough goaltending prospects to negate any chance of a goalie being picked by Chicago? Not where I'm sitting. I'd have no problem with my Red Wings taking Rask at #19, because neither Jimmy Howard nor Stephan Liv is a sure thing in net.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
i think if the canucks stay still at #10 there are 3 players that i would be absolutely estatic to grab: them being Skille, Stall or Price thats unless someone falls like a rock and i could see Kopitar doing that as there could* be alot of questions around him.

Lets just say that from what i have seen from Price i would not be suprised to see him go high. personally i think he has more potential than either Montoya or Fleury who i belive were/are overrated from their WJC's. If price comes to vancouver i would not be dissapointed at all.

salty justice

May 25, 2004
Los Angeles
monster_bertuzzi said:

Aside from very few GMs being foolish enough to take a goalie with a top 10 pick, everything Tallon has said in the last month has been about picking the best forward available as that is the team's biggest need.

The Hawks are looking at Corey Crawford as their possible future starter. Broduer also has some nice potential. Leighton or Anderson could still very well take Thibaults place this season. Goaltenders take a long time to develop and no one is giving up on any of these guys yet.

fullmetalninja

Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
As thebob said:

Anderson put up big numbers before going down in the AHL, Leighton has looked good- and I dont' think either are as highly thought of as Crawford in the organization. Brodeur is also liked- but maybe squeezed out...

They are not taking a goalie with their first pick- they just aren't. They are taking a forward, period.

You guys may not like that, but its the truth. :dunno: I don't know what else you want me to say. You can post all the mocks you want, it won't change that fact.

-fullmetalninja

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
monster_bertuzzi said:

Corey Crawford is the best goaltender in the Hawks system.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I think that the Oilers are going to pick Bertram. With the open ice and the Oilers' system that really seems to favor speed, you can't go wrong with him.

Plus, if Schremp pans out to be the playmaker that he is, Bertram would be a great finisher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad