Speculation: MVP you'd re-sign amongst this year's UFAs & RFAs?

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
Johansson doing the dirty work near the crease.

I think Johansson's increased physical play and more solid two-way game, not to huge flexibility filling any of the top-9 positions and PP work, make him my choice. But I think it also demonstrates something when considering Wilson and Orlov - it took time and patience for Johansson to develop many of these qualities, and he's still developing.

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
With the understanding that we can only sign one, and therefore the money is all the same, I'm going with Orlov. He has the most value/upside when it comes to replacement. I think we could go out and find a MJ90 replacement, or at least close to replacement much easier then a young future top4 dman with offensive skills. The rest are all fairly easier to replace if we needed.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
With the understanding that we can only sign one, and therefore the money is all the same, I'm going with Orlov. He has the most value/upside when it comes to replacement. I think we could go out and find a MJ90 replacement, or at least close to replacement much easier then a young future top4 dman with offensive skills. The rest are all fairly easier to replace if we needed.

except that the Caps don't need the offensive left shot top 4 d. they are stacked ahead of him and have a primary prospect behind him. Johansson plays a critical role on the Caps pp1.

again, if the coaching staff are playing 90 on that pp unit ahead of 92, I question the idea that replacing him is a piece of cake.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia
Johansson is having an impact in this series so far. Orlov and Wilson? Not much.

Johansson is playing meaningful role for the whole season, AGAIN. Wilson and Orlov? Depth role players so far.

Mojo is clearly winning. GMBM have to sign all 3. I hope he can manage to sign Orlov for 1Y for now. Very hard to gauge his long term worth + expansion draft coming soon. Totally sure Dima will sign.

Do you notice how calm Mojo became? This last game there was a play where he got the puck in DZ near the blue line, forechecker incoming. Stopped, didn't panic, waited, forechecker made an u-turn just near him and went home, Mojo standing still and waiting the whole time! Then slowly slid the puck to defender and skated forward.

I think it's something he borrowed from Williams :P
His improved board play and screening work was already mentioned.

He really lacks finish (but he's better in that now I think) and devastating hits. But he would be better than Kucherov if he had that. That's not your common goon, appreciate him more plz.

4,5M for term.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006

Do you notice how calm Mojo became? This last game there was a play where he got the puck in DZ near the blue line, forechecker incoming. Stopped, didn't panic, waited, forechecker made an u-turn just near him and went home, Mojo standing still and waiting the whole time! Then slowly slid the puck to defender and skated forward......

Great catch noticing that. I have been waiting for years now, for players to start doing this in the fly by era. Call the bluff of (the non LA King) coming straight at you. They are not going to hit you far more often than they will.

And, do the same with the puck in the OZ. Skate straight at the weakest Dman, who will basically skate backwards as much as possible, predictably detesting and avoiding physical contact the entire time. Game in and game out.

Kuz

May 11, 2015
Chosing just one favours Johansson a lot, but if we start considering what they will cost to resign others might be more value for what you spend. For what Johansson will want I guess you can sign Orlov and Wilson for example.

If the cap rises to 74.000.000 which is the estimate on capfriendly right now. We might afford getting Wilson, Johansson, Orlov, Chimera and Richards. Caps will then almost have 15,4 to work With.

Orlov 2,5-3
Wilson 1,5-1,75
Johansson 4,5 - 5
Chimera 2
Richards 1,5-1,75

Wilson and Richards getting a deserved raise. Dont think they deserve to get more than Beagle who get paid 1,75 so between 1,5-1,75 is okey. Orlov injured last year been good this year. Still a small raise from 2 mill to 2,5-3 is probably okey. Amazing season from Chimera so a 2 year contract at 2 mill seems reasonable. Johansson on a 51 point pace. The Perfect 3C who can fill any role in the top 6. Getting him on 4,5 million would be Perfect.

The problem with signing all of them will be next year when Kuznetsov, Burakovsky and Alzner needs to be resigned. Both Oshie and Williams will then need to be dropped to have the Money to sign those 3.

kmart

Jan 23, 2008
i would trade wilson to a rebuilding team for a high draft pick.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia

I don't think you could get a first round pick for Wilson. Some team may value him at a mid/late-2nd, but I'm skeptical about more than that. He hasn't shown the consistent offensive ability to lure teams into dealing a 1st for him.

HecticGlow

Mar 14, 2016
Europe
I don't think you could get a first round pick for Wilson. Some team may value him at a mid/late-2nd, but I'm skeptical about more than that. He hasn't shown the consistent offensive ability to lure teams into dealing a 1st for him.

Do you think he was overvalued as a first round pick to begin with, or just hasn't developed to the expected potential?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

oh sure you could. many teams in my view would part with a first round pick for Wilson.

He is not scoring a lot but you can see that he has hands and IQ. His offensive plays are often not those of a plug. Remember his age. Many 2012 drafted players are still primarily playing in the AHL. We all know the power forward develops later.

He has progressed well. Who saw him as a penalty killer? I sure wasn't thinking along those lines and he is always in the first two pairs for forwards on the ice on one of the best PK's in the league.

He is an impact player already with upside to come. McGuire in a recent game said that the league consensus was that Wilson would grow into a 20 goal + scorer.

With his skill set mix being as hard to find as it is and with the clear effect he has on the locker room and with his clear commitment to improving his game(you can see the work he has put into his skating as a for instance), teams not picking high enough for a first line player would easily give up a 1st for a ready made NHL player with his upside. Right now he is worth all of the 1st round pick the Caps spent on him and then some.

Raikkonen

Dumb guy
Aug 19, 2009
Russia

What would we do with that pick?

I mean, if you want to trade him for Drouin like player - maybe. But high pick hardly helps us because that player is far from being impact one.

We don't have much openings and if we'll have any we can sign UFAs.

If only to exploit expansion draft... but losing Wilson will hurt.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Seems like the Trade board would be a good place to get some outside opinion on Wilson's value. There are definitely two camps around these parts as to what he'd be worth to other teams around the league.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Seems like the Trade board would be a good place to get some outside opinion on Wilson's value. There are definitely two camps around these parts as to what he'd be worth to other teams around the league.

same two camps around the league. he is a dirty plug or he is an impact power forward.

as I recall earlier this year every other trade thread involving the caps had Wilson in it

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Teams don't trade 1st round picks for forechecking PKers. Teams don't trade 1st round picks for potential future 20-goal scorers. If teams want potential future 20-goal scorers, they'll simply draft the one they like best with that pick.

Do you think he was overvalued as a first round pick to begin with, or just hasn't developed to the expected potential?
A little bit of category A (and the consensus among draftniks at the time had him lower than 16th), but more category B. His offensive game has not developed to the point where he'd be valued as a 1st rounder anymore.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Teams don't trade 1st round picks for forechecking PKers. Teams don't trade 1st round picks for potential future 20-goal scorers. If teams want potential future 20-goal scorers, they'll simply draft the one they like best with that pick.

A little bit of category A (and the consensus among draftniks at the time had him lower than 16th), but more category B. His offensive game has not developed to the point where he'd be valued as a 1st rounder anymore.

sure they do. you make him sound like Jay Beagle. Andre Burakovsky is probably never going to be more than a guy that scores goals in the 20s. He is a legit 1st round pick. He also doesn't bring anything like the value that Wilson brings beyond the hands game.

Give Wilson another season of growth and put him in Oshie's pp spot and let him score 20 goals and you have a physically dominating player who can play 1st pp and 1st pk and play in the top 6. You wouldn't trade a 1st for that?

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs

6CQ1-Llx.jpg

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Lets be clear on this. The Caps would not trade Wilson for a 1st round pick. No interested. His offensive game hasn't developed fully which is SOP for players of his size and type.

I am also reminded when I checked Vrana's player page on the Caps site that Wilson is player shown on the base page and is that player along with Ov and Backstrom and Kuzy is used that way with regularity.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
Lets be clear on this. The Caps would not trade Wilson for a 1st round pick. No interested. His offensive game hasn't developed fully which is SOP for players of his size and type.

I am also reminded when I checked Vrana's player page on the Caps site that Wilson is player shown on the base page and is that player along with Ov and Backstrom and Kuzy is used that way with regularity.

Power forwards' primes are typically between ages 23-25, but typically they start showing signs of scoring before that. Wilson just turned 22 so his prime starts next year. Ovechkin's best years were between 2007 and 2010, ages 23-26.

Tom Wilson is likely not a 20 goal scorer. It's hard to call him a 20 goal scorer because he hasn't come close yet. Maybe he'll reach 20 goals once or twice in his career but he almost surely will never be that consistently.

Burakovsky? You can say he will be a 20 goal scorer and have a point because he's shown the skill even if it isn't refined yet. This is Wilson's third full season and he has 14 goals total.

If someone offered a first round pick in the offseason I take it and run, especially given the Capitals' track record identifying talent in the late first round.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
sure they do. you make him sound like Jay Beagle. Andre Burakovsky is probably never going to be more than a guy that scores goals in the 20s. He is a legit 1st round pick. He also doesn't bring anything like the value that Wilson brings beyond the hands game.

Give Wilson another season of growth and put him in Oshie's pp spot and let him score 20 goals and you have a physically dominating player who can play 1st pp and 1st pk and play in the top 6. You wouldn't trade a 1st for that?

Being a legit 1st round pick and returning a 1st rounder in a trade are not the same thing. Teams tend to value the flexibility of a 1st rounder (and getting to choose their favorite prospect) over a guy selected by a different team in the 1st round (who may have been much lower on their draft board). I don't think Burakovksy is a slam dunk to return a 1st round pick, either (though he has a much better chance than Wilson does).

The reality is that offensive skill guys are much rarer, and much more expensive, than grinders, forecheckers, and PKers. As a result, teams look for offensive value in the 1st round. They want that production without the expensive contract. They want to use the ELC to their advantage. Right now, Wilson doesn't have the offensive resume to command a 1st round pick in return. Teams would much rather fill the Wilson-like gaps on their roster via free agency or mid-round picks. Wilson's untappepd potential could give him much more trade value than, say, Beagle. Beagle would be unlikely to return a 2nd round pick, Wilson might.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad