MVP of Islanders' dynasty

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Of Bossy's many eye-popping stats, this one might be the most astounding.
OT: You could've given me a hundred years and I never would've guessed the name at the top of that list (career shooting percentage). And it's interesting to look at the single-season leaders and see how many guys were riding shotgun with #66.

ck26

Alcoholab User
Jan 31, 2007
Coyotes Bandwagon
That Islanders team was special because they were like Burger King; they'd give it to you however you wanted. Bossy and Tonelli and Bourne and Trottier were a machine offensively, and while there were plenty of good defensemen, everything on the back end started with Denis Potvin. He's my vote.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
I will go with Potvin, simply because he is one of the top 10 defensemen of all time, and at Rags-Isles games ranger fans still chant "Potvin sucks". However Trots, Bossy, Smith, and even Bobby Nystrom were all great players. I don't think we will ever see a team like that again.

Bexlyspeed

May 21, 2011
Astoria, Queens, N.Y
Denis Potvin has always been my Favorite Islander and i have to choose him, but when you look at what all thease guys contributed to this special team its scary how close the mvp vote is. and to top it off you have Nystrom who had all those OT Goals!

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Can't go wrong with any of them.

They all brought an important piece of the puzzle and none of them would have been as successful without the other pieces.

If I was starting a team I would want Potvin or Trottier first for their all around games, but a game breaker like Bossy is what puts you over the top.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
Potvin , not even close in my opinion.

They are all hall of famers with 4 cups. Trottier actually won 2 more with PIT. Of course it is close.

Potvin is a great choice. But when you also have the best 2-way center in the history of the game, the best pure goal scorer in the history of the game, and the best "money" goaltender in the history of the game to choose from, you can't go wrong with any of them.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
They are all hall of famers with 4 cups. Trottier actually won 2 more with PIT. Of course it is close.

Potvin is a great choice. But when you also have the best 2-way center in the history of the game, the best pure goal scorer in the history of the game, and the best "money" goaltender in the history of the game to choose from, you can't go wrong with any of them.

Must be nice to have the best of everything in the history of the game...

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
Potvin is my pick even though out of the "big 4" on the Islanders he was the only one not to win a Conn Smythe. He had a year or two where he could have however.

It's really a tough choice because you have an elite sniper who scored many back breaking goals, an elite two way center, almost a perfect all around defenseman and a clutch goalie who made some big saves in overtime elimination games while the drive was alive.

You still have to pick Potvin though in my mind. The word "glue" immediately comes to mind when I think of him.

The big four definitely made this team a dynasty but players 5-10 were top notch as well. an interesting poll would be the most important of Goring, Bourne, Tonelli, Gillies, Nystrom, Persson and Morrow.

Goring has the Conn Smythe so it might be unfair to have him in the poll but which of the non CS players outside of the big 4 played the largest role.

My money is on Tonelli.

Doshell Propivo

Dec 5, 2005
The big four definitely made this team a dynasty but players 5-10 were top notch as well. an interesting poll would be the most important of Goring, Bourne, Tonelli, Gillies, Nystrom, Persson and Morrow.

Goring has the Conn Smythe so it might be unfair to have him in the poll but which of the non CS players outside of the big 4 played the largest role.

My money is on Tonelli.

In the playoffs, definitely JT.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Lets also not forget that Brent Sutter was around for the last two Cups, he didn't have a bad career. Stefan Persson was pretty damn good and would have been an All-Star on most other teams. And almost no one mentions Clark Gillies, who was best power forward of his day before Messier came along.

Trottier

Very Random
Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Visit site
The majority opinion is correct in this case. NYI started with Potvin, followed by Trottier and then Bossy. Not to mention arguably the best money goaltender ever.

(Interestingly, their own coach disagrees, however, with the order of importance.)

Aside from his on-ice greatness (I concur with the poster who ranks #5 directly behind Bobby Orr, at least among dmen in my lifetime) was the mentality Potvin brought to the team. On an otherwise fairly humble group, he never suffered a lack of confidence about himself and that team's place in the game. For example, in the dressing room in Vancouver, immediately after capturing Cup #3, when he stood up on a chair and declared loudly to all players, media and whoever else was there that NYI was "The best ****ing team in the history of the game!". :)

To be sure, an arguable opinion, but you get the point.

...and if you did a follow up with Mark on who came out worse for wear in those confrontations, I doubt he says Potvin.
Messier was dirtier but not tougher and definitely not meaner.
A lot of Potvin's meanness has been glossed over during the years but the truth is Denis makes Scott Stevens look like a poodle to a rotty most nights.

The Legends of Hockey segment on Potvin opens up with his peers - John Davidson, Don Cherry, Pat Quinn, Daren Pang, etc. speaking in glowing terms about just that - on top of his world-class skills, what set him apart was his meaness. They ADMIRED it. And, in his first appeareance in the segment, Potvin himself brings up none other than...Mark Messier. Cut from the same cloth. The term intimidation is overused and frankly has no place in today's sterilized NHL. But in their time, both were intimidating and both relished the opportunity to skate right through you. It was wonderful to watch.

Smith, but my judgment is probably clouded by the fact that I'm a goalie and I watched Game 1 of the 83 Finals recently.

Hands down the single greatest game performance in goal I've ever seen or will see. It should be required viewing for any NHL fan.

Must be nice to have the best of everything in the history of the game...

Your sarcasm notwithstanding, indeed, it was nice and unique to have the best of everything - and a solid case can be made that that core was as good as it gets. Few fans will ever have that privilige.

As an aside, your point that Bossy still scored sans Trottier, frankly, offers nothing in terms of comparing the relative value of the two players to that team. For it misses entirely the breadth and depth of game the Trottier brought to the ice nighlty. Yes, Trottier was a 500 goal scorer. Yes, he finished his career among the top scorers in the history of the game at the time. But what made him stand out among others - including his HOF linemate - was the elements of his game beyond the numbers.

Last edited:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

My money is on Tonelli.

Without even thinking hard the most important player on the Isles dynasty outside of the big 4 is Tonelli. That includes Goring and Gillies, both behind Tonelli.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad