MVP of Islanders' dynasty

begbeee

Oct 16, 2009
Slovakia
I would pick Trottier because he is good in everything: goalscoring, playmaking and defense.
But it is close. Potvin? Bossy? I can see points for all of them.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
When trottier was injured, bossy didn't miss a beat. When potvin was injured, the offensive ability of the entire team decreased. Also, potvin was elite defensively and their captain. I think he was probably their most important piece.

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
As much as I'm floored by Bossy's 3 years in a row with 17 playoff goals, Potvin was a player that stirred the drink. IMO he's also the 2nd best defenseman that I've seen with Orr being the best player ever. There was a fear factor playing against him that Bourque, Lidstrom and Park didn't have.

Gotta mention JT as my favorite though.

Blizzard

Feb 22, 2010
I'd also go Potvin but Smith deserves a ton of credit. Any goaltender who goes through four straight Stanley Cup Playoffs to win Championships then gets to a fifth straight is pretty damn valuable to his team. The '83 shutdown of the Oilers, along with the acting job on Anderson, was impressive.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Potvin is my pick even though out of the "big 4" on the Islanders he was the only one not to win a Conn Smythe. He had a year or two where he could have however.

It's really a tough choice because you have an elite sniper who scored many back breaking goals, an elite two way center, almost a perfect all around defenseman and a clutch goalie who made some big saves in overtime elimination games while the drive was alive.

You still have to pick Potvin though in my mind. The word "glue" immediately comes to mind when I think of him.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Bossy killed the Flyers, but for me its definitely Potvin.

Also Al Albour could be argued as 4th ahead of Billy Smith, but certainly no worse than 5th. Top 5 all-time coach.

CHGoalie27

Don't blame the goalie!
Oct 5, 2009
SoFLA
"Potvin Sucks" is one half of the 2 best shutdown/punishing Dmen ever IMO.
If I don't take Scott Stevens, I take Potvin.

Bossy was one of the best hockey players ever, highly underrated in any "Top __" list....but Billy Smith can only truly thank him for goal support.

Potvin.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
I recall an interview with Kevin Lowe where he said that the first time the Oilers met the Islanders in the playoffs, Potvin was the guy they feared. They respected the rest of the team, but Potvin was the guy that made them cautious carrying the puck over the blueline.

So much so, that, the next year, Messier made a point of running Potvin as often as possible to deflate his mystique.

I think when you're able to make the Edmonton Oilers think twice about playing run-and-gun hockey, you're the MVP, no matter what.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
Potvin easily, he was their anchor.

I recall an interview with Kevin Lowe where he said that the first time the Oilers met the Islanders in the playoffs, Potvin was the guy they feared. They respected the rest of the team, but Potvin was the guy that made them cautious carrying the puck over the blueline.

So much so, that, the next year, Messier made a point of running Potvin as often as possible to deflate his mystique.

...and if you did a follow up with Mark on who came out worse for wear in those confrontations, I doubt he says Potvin.
Messier was dirtier but not tougher and definitely not meaner.
A lot of Potvin's meanness has been glossed over during the years but the truth is Denis makes Scott Stevens look like a poodle to a rotty most nights.

Last edited:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
...and if you did a follow up with Mark on who came out worse for wear in those confrontations, I doubt he says Potvin.
Messier was dirtier but not tougher and definitely not meaner.
A lot of Potvin's meanness has been glossed over during the years but the truth is Denis makes Scott Stevens look like a poodle to a rotty most nights.

haha, I wouldn't go that far, I mean Stevens was one tough SOB who scared the tail off of the opponents too. Another legendary story is how players didn't like cutting across the ice on his side. But yes, Potvin was tougher and meaner in my opinion. Something that didn't show up on the scoresheet although Potvin's "scoresheet" was incredible to start with.

Rhiessan71

Just a Fool
Feb 17, 2003
Guelph, Ont
Visit site
haha, I wouldn't go that far, I mean Stevens was one tough SOB who scared the tail off of the opponents too. Another legendary story is how players didn't like cutting across the ice on his side. But yes, Potvin was tougher and meaner in my opinion. Something that didn't show up on the scoresheet although Potvin's "scoresheet" was incredible to start with.

You didn't see Messier dropping 'em with the Probert's but Potvin sure as hell dropped 'em with Schlultz's.

Granted, the Stevens comparison was a lil light, maybe a German Sheppard to a Rotty ;)

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
You didn't see Messier dropping 'em with the Probert's but Potvin sure as hell dropped 'em with Schlultz's.

Granted, the Stevens comparison was a lil light, maybe a German Sheppard to a Rotty ;)

I actually do remember Messier fighting McSorley... I dont think you can underestimate how far Mess would go to win

Messier-Potvin was an epic clash, either way
Either way, Mess-Potvin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->