Dreger: Muzzin and the Leafs getting close to an extension

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
I think people are saying that because Winnipeg literally has one of their best players walking away from the team, and several others have left despite having contracts on the table to keep them: Kane, Trouba, Stastny, etc.

It’s not really an unwarranted take to be honest.

Also, besides Scheifele (top 3 contract in the NHL), I don’t really see a ton of sweetheart deals on the Jets, but that’s just me.

In the context of the conversation it’s an absolutely idiotic take. Not sure how that’s not understood. All those core guys are locked up long term whereas the Leafs owe Matthews even more money in 5 years.

In addition to Scheifele; Morrissey, Ehlers, Connor, Hellebuyck are all being underpaid. Some more than others. Laine remains to be seen although I suspect he might be attempting to cash in. There are some stinkers for sure (Wheeler, I’m looking at you) but Cheveldayoff has done an admirable job locking up his core at a discounted price considering no one wants to play in Winnipeg.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
In the context of the conversation it’s an absolutely idiotic take. Not sure how that’s not understood. All those core guys are locked up long term whereas the Leafs owe Matthews even more money in 5 years.

You came into the thread to comment about how Matthews and Marner wanted to get to UFA and potentially leave.

The Jets are a team that actually has had some of their best players leave. Not speculation, we've seen it. So yeah, it's funny. Almost as funny as thinking this is a thread you should brag about Chevy in after extending a terrible coach as you aimlessly drift to the lottery.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
You came into the thread to comment about how Matthews and Marner wanted to get to UFA and potentially leave.

The Jets are a team that actually has had some of their best players leave. Not speculation, we've seen it. So yeah, it's funny. Almost as funny as thinking this is a thread you should brag about Chevy in after extending a terrible coach as you aimlessly drift to the lottery.

Yeah, Trouba was traded. That’s it. Wouldn’t consider Kane one of their best players (not to mention that was over five years ago) and Stastny was a player the Jets didn’t have cap for. Letting him walk has allowed them to sign their core long term, something Toronto hasn’t done.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Anything that's 4 years and under 6 per, I'll consider a win and good contract for the Leafs.

Muzzin easily gets 5 years 6+ million as an UFA.

Isaac Nootin

Sep 28, 2017
Yeah, Trouba was traded. That’s it. Wouldn’t consider Kane one of their best players (not to mention that was over five years ago) and Stastny was a player the Jets didn’t have cap for. Letting him walk has allowed them to sign their core long term, something Toronto hasn’t done.

Who from Toronto's core do they still need to sign?

Reactions: Merrrlin

madmike77

Jan 9, 2009
Great news for Toronto if they get him signed. Definitely would rather have Muzzin than Barrie.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

wait, how did you not have cap for Stastny with all these brilliant signings?

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

I wouldn't be bragging about locking in a core that won't even make the playoffs.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
Apparently its going to be approx 4 years at 5.5... its be nice to keep it closer to 5 but not too bad of a deal. At least that's what's been rumored.

Itll be announced on or after March 1st due to... you can only commit so much salary to the season following the one you’re in, but that amount goes up by 10 per cent on March 1... as per Chris Johnston.

Reactions: Smif

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
And Willy is out producing his.

How do you figure Nylander is outproducing his contract?

You don't think for the money he's being paid he was expected to be a point-a-game player? He's not even close to that and you're claiming he's out producing his contract? What do you think a one-dimensional $7 million player with no physical edge to his game should be producing if you think this is out producing that rate?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad