Dreger: Muzzin and the Leafs getting close to an extension

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I agree but isn’t that bad asset management? Kadri is really valuable and on a great deal. I’m not a leafs fan but I think in hindsight they’d like to keep Kadri or trade him for a younger cost controlled defenseman.

Agreed.

I like Barrie, but I don't think it was a good fit for the Leafs. We really need someone more defensively oriented.

Muzz might be pricey, but losing him would be a huge blow to an already ailing blueline.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Well no, they arent in danger of losing him - this isn't Winnipeg. And yes, they were able to sign him long term but chose not to in order to sign several other players.

But yes, Dubas has certainly made mistakes.

That’s a bit of an odd comment regarding Winnipeg considering they have their core locked up for longer term at much more reasonable AAVs compared to Dubas who got absolutely bent over by both Matthews and Marner.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
Again, not true.

Oh right. I forgot about Laine.

Otherwise: Scheifele, Morrissey, Ehlers, Connor all signed long term (longer than Matthews and Marner) at below market value.

Laine remains to be seen but the rest of the core is locked up longer and for cheaper.

DanM

Oct 2, 2017

Otherwise: Scheifele, Morrissey, Ehlers, Connor all signed long term (longer than Matthews and Marner) at below market value.

Laine remains to be seen but the rest of the core is locked up longer and for cheaper.

They make less because they are lesser players, so it makes sense.

Not saying we signed beauty deals, or that your players didn't sign sweet ones, but with how Marner and Matty are playing at a whole other level, the deals sting far less.

And Willy is out producing his.

snowkiddin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 26, 2016
They make less because they are lesser players, so it makes sense.

Not saying we signed beauty deals, or that your players didn't sign sweet ones, but with how Marner and Matty are playing at a whole other level, the deals sting far less.

And Willy is out producing his.

Not disagreeing. I just found the comment I was replying to to be extremely foolish. Matthews signed 5 years so he can walk to free agency faster and cash in. Guy says Leafs aren’t in danger or losing Matthews like Winnipeg is in danger of losing their players. Which doesn’t make sense when WPG signed their players to far better deals (lesser or not) than the Leafs did.

Scheifele at 6.125 is significantly more valuable than Matthews at 11.6. Likewise, Connor at 7 is quite a bit better than Marner at 10.8.

It’s a weird comment. The Jets aren’t losing their core anytime soon. Quite the opposite: they have every member of their core (sans Laine) locked up long term to sweetheart deals.

Regardless, this is diverting much too far from the point of this thread. Being able to bring Muzzin back at a reasonable rate would be huge for the Leafs.

Reactions: DanM

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
I'd rather have Muzz over Barrie, he's actually been my favourite Leaf since we've acquired him.

Reactions: BlueBaron

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Not disagreeing. I just found the comment I was replying to to be extremely foolish. Matthews signed 5 years so he can walk to free agency faster and cash in. Guy says Leafs aren’t in danger or losing Matthews like Winnipeg is in danger of losing their players. Which doesn’t make sense when WPG signed their players to far better deals (lesser or not) than the Leafs did.

Scheifele at 6.125 is significantly more valuable than Matthews at 11.6. Likewise, Connor at 7 is quite a bit better than Marner at 10.8.

It’s a weird comment. The Jets aren’t losing their core anytime soon. Quite the opposite: they have every member of their core (sans Laine) locked up long term to sweetheart deals.

Regardless, this is diverting much too far from the point of this thread. Being able to bring Muzzin back at a reasonable rate would be huge for the Leafs.

I think people are saying that because Winnipeg literally has one of their best players walking away from the team, and several others have left despite having contracts on the table to keep them: Kane, Trouba, Stastny, etc.

It’s not really an unwarranted take to be honest.

Also, besides Scheifele (top 3 contract in the NHL), I don’t really see a ton of sweetheart deals on the Jets, but that’s just me.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
I'd rather have Muzz over Barrie, he's actually been my favourite Leaf since we've acquired him.

Agreed, easily. Muzz is a warrior and plays a fairly quiet game against tough competition.

Give him someone better than Holl and I think he would look even better.

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
I agree but isn’t that bad asset management? Kadri is really valuable and on a great deal. I’m not a leafs fan but I think in hindsight they’d like to keep Kadri or trade him for a younger cost controlled defenseman.

Yea, I don't see how anyone can defend that trade. Dubas got taken to the cleaners in that deal

Kadri would look even better under a coach like Keefe (I'm not sold on him either), who would be willing to double shift him more and play him on the wing for extra shifts. The extra C depth is amazing and all, but that wouldn't be the only way he would be utilized

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

Still not true.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto

What gives you any indication that Matthews want to walk?

you realize he wanted to sign an 8 year deal but the leafs gave him 5 years to lower the cap hit.

obviously Toronto would have liked to sign their players to a cheaper deal but in comparison to Matthews and Marner, Matthews has a better goals per game and points per game than scheiffle and Marner has a better points per game than Connor.

Last edited:

BAM

Nov 21, 2016

Except for the fact that Matthews wanted an 8 year deal but the Leafs wanted 5 so they could keep him, Tavares, Marner and Nylander long term.

Reactions: smitty10

Pi

Nov 16, 2010
Toronto
He's amazing but I worry about him aging and getting injured with the way he plays. Hopefully it's a 4 year deal like it's been rumored. Perfect for both sides.

Any more than four years and it's going to be bad.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
Sounds like it’s 4 * 5.5 but can’t announce or make it official til March because of some dumb formality in the CBA about next years cap hit.

That would be a good deal for Toronto. Only 4 years at a reasonable hit.

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Sounds like it’s 4 * 5.5 but can’t announce or make it official til March because of some dumb formality in the CBA about next years cap hit.

That would be a good deal for Toronto. Only 4 years at a reasonable hit.

Yeah the Toronto Sun reporting 5.5M. I could see the last year being rough but good value overall. 5 - 6M is the going rate for a #3.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad