TSN: Mutiny among players about Therrien - Part 2

Blind Gardien

nexus of the crisis
Apr 2, 2004
Four Winds Bar
That's the dumbest argument I've ever read.

Leafs won't hire a unilingual francophone coach because the common working language of the nhl is English. The coach wouldn't be able to communicate with his players.
Well, he could have assistants who translate, right? There are plenty of such situations in European pro leagues, aren't there? :dunno:

aaa

Jan 17, 2013
She was a Liberal Minister, can't say that the liberals go out of their way to "protect the French language"... I'd like to see the reation if they'd hire a unilingual francophone to coach the leafs.

Liberals or PQ, it's still a member of the government interfering with a hockey team. The point is a hockey team is being used as a political issue. The Liberals don't exactly go out of their way to protect anglos' rights either.

Hullois

Suck it Trebek
Aug 26, 2010
Hull, Qc
That's the dumbest argument I've ever read.

Leafs won't hire a unilingual francophone coach because the common working language of the nhl is English. The coach wouldn't be able to communicate with his players.

I bet you don't read a lot. Europeans do it a lot in soccer. José Mourinho started as a translator for another coach.

RealityBytes

Trash Remover
Feb 11, 2013
I'd like to see the reation if they'd hire a unilingual francophone to coach the leafs.

Those kind of retort arguments make no sense. They may be valid for a Francophone coach in Quebec, but it makes no sense to apply that same reasoning for elsewhere.

Quebec is only around 2% of the North American population at best, and French speakers are a small minority outside of Quebec. Outside of Quebec, English is the main language in North America and realistically, French is just not equal to English at all.

Besides, language is only an issue in Quebec, and they wouldn't care if he spoke Punjabi or Russian only, as long as he won.

... AND, as I should have added, if MLSE could get a coach who could win a cup, regardless of what language he spoke, Tim Leiweke and Dave Nonis would hire him in a heartbeat.

Last edited:

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
She was a Liberal Minister, can't say that the liberals go out of their way to "protect the French language"... I'd like to see the reation if they'd hire a unilingual francophone to coach the leafs.

Find one capable of coaching an NHL team. Just one.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
Find one capable of coaching an NHL team. Just one.

Not entirely a fair question, considering any coach with any hopes whatsover of coaching in the big leagues will have already put in some time learning english. Would be absolutely crazy not to.

And that's not to say that it's right, but that's just the way it is.

aaa

Jan 17, 2013
{Mod}

The government doesnt have a **** ass say in how the habs, a private enterprise, manage their business. The "coach must be french" madness during Cunneyworth was orchestrated by the french hockey media who dont wanna have to deal with an anglophone coach for obvious reason. It caught on with some people and the politicians rode the band wagon all the way to the station. The government is hardly preventing anyone from enjoying their sport "in peace and quiet". The only reason the habs abide by that rule is because they've decided to submit themselves to it.

As for Montréal, what you've said is true of any metropolis, {Mod}. "The rest of the territory is dragging down the big city!!". Except that the big city is 100% dependent on that territory for its food and energy. Montréal being a french city in anglo North American context is hardly a bad thing. If anything, it drives tourism and businesses. It's pure cultural wealth.

The government did weigh in on Cunneyworth and the fact that we have language laws means that businesses are compelled to fall into line with their wishes.

Montreal is different from other cities because on top of everything else they have to deal with language and values being imposed upon them that reflect the cultural reality of where the government is seated but not the multicultural reality of Montreal. Businesses have left this province due to these restrictions and new companies are reticent to enter this market because of the extra costs associated with complying with language laws. Large companies have entire departments devoted just to complying with these laws. Inspectors running around threatening restaurant owners over menus don't help with the city's economic growth either.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->