Musings: After watching Tampa put a clinic on Boston

Status
Not open for further replies.

dig1

Mar 1, 2015
I just watched Tampa 4th line put a clinic on how to defend and chip a puck out.
I realized this Pens team doesn't know how to defend.
I am specifically talking about goal #2. It was 2-1 Pens. they were defending really well. and then,
Jaime tries to be cute and gets checked. 12 runs away (eventhough Washington's D pair are still waiting for the wings) the coverage of 17 is what infuriates me. He just stands there and puck watches. both D and a guy are entagled. He comes back to receive a puck but doesn't swing his head to see that there's a guy in the slot by himself. In all this, I am shocked that 12 doesnt come back until 17 is back and staring at the puck.

. I can guarantee that if Hagelin was0 playing, he wouldn't have left a man in the slot open like that. I believe that is when the game changed. I dont even blame Jaime for the booboo.

most here think we missed Malkin. I say, the most important player in this series besides the 1st line is Hagelin. And we really miss him. He would neutralize the speed washington has on the wings.
For whatever reason, Rust is either tired or doesnt care

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I just watched Tampa 4th line put a clinic on how to defend and chip a puck out.
I realized this Pens team doesn't know how to defend.
I am specifically talking about goal #2. It was 2-1 Pens. they were defending really well. and then,
Jaime tries to be cute and gets checked. 12 runs away (eventhough Washington's D pair are still waiting for the wings) the coverage of 17 is what infuriates me. He just stands there and puck watches. both D and a guy are entagled. He comes back to receive a puck but doesn't swing his head to see that there's a guy in the slot by himself. In all this, I am shocked that 12 doesnt come back until 17 is back and staring at the puck.

. I can guarantee that if Hagelin was0 playing, he wouldn't have left a man in the slot open like that. I believe that is when the game changed. I dont even blame Jaime for the booboo.

most here think we missed Malkin. I say, the most important player in this series besides the 1st line is Hagelin. And we really miss him. He would neutralize the speed washington has on the wings.
For whatever reason, Rust is either tired or doesnt care

The whole puck watching and leaving guys alone in front of the net to chase guys in the corner thing is one of my biggest issues with this club.

It seems like they have zero clue about keeping a tight box and will go chasing after the puck carrier when he's zero threat, and will leave a guy or two standing all alone in the slot as a result.

And that's not even touching on the number of 2 on 1s this team gives up.

Reactions: Uemoda

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Not sure “they” don’t know how to defend, but I think their bottom pairing probably shouldn’t play when are trying to do so.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Tampa is playing really well right now, but they aren't the 90's Devils when it comes to playing defense.

Tampa is great because of its speed skill and Depth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad