Musing

kilgore111

Jul 12, 2010
Was putting up a thread and then something happened so if this appears twice my apologies.

Sitting her musing, no game tonight, wife on the phone so why not MUSE? :D

1. My heart goes out to those in Calgary, I know we will come together to help them (even if they are Flames fans)

2. Are these not the best, most exciting NHL finals you have seen for a long time (of ever)? Shorter season so not so many games so by the time they get there they are not so worn out. I don't care who wins but the more games of this caliber the better

3. I like seeing top 10 or 20 lists (or whatever) of the best NHL players of all-time. IMO if this is done I/we/they should do lists of those players who were in their prime when you started watching the NHL. No prob if not they are all fun especially when responded to with respect, and I know you can look at historical data etc

Let me start for fun: I started watching hockey the year after the Leafs won their last Cup, yes I am a Leafs fan, stop laughing

Top 5 Goalies who were in their prime when I started watching"
1. Ken Dryden
2. Bernie Parent
3. Martin Brodeur
4. Patrick Roy
5. Tony Esposito
(for the Leafs Mike Plamateer put on some incredible performances)

Top 5 Defensemen:
1. Bobby Orr
2. Denis Potvin
3. Nicklas Lidstrom
4. Raymond Bourque
5. Brad Park
(as an aside probably the best purly defensive defenseman to me was Bill White, not a lot of offensive skill but just plain played defense properly)

Top 10 Forwards
1. Wayne Gretzky
2. Mario Lemieux
3. Mike Bossy
4. Phil Esposito
5. Guy Lafleur
6. Gilbert Perreault
7. Marcel Dionne
8. Mark Messier
9. Steve Yzerman
10. Peter Stastny
(Most underrated: Steve Larmer)

(For Leafs still love Darryl and Lanny)

*OK I left off Crosby and Ovechkin who are still writing their stories and who are incredibly talented and no doubt will make everyone's top lists by the time they retire. And you may disagree and put out a name and I am sure I will go, yes how did I leave that guy off, either way the ones I put here were IMO damn good and I love the debates, all part of the fun)

Cool Beans Man

Apr 18, 2007
Ontario
www.muckmyblog.blogspot.com
Was putting up a thread and then something happened so if this appears twice my apologies.

Sitting her musing, no game tonight, wife on the phone so why not MUSE? :D

1. My heart goes out to those in Calgary, I know we will come together to help them (even if they are Flames fans)

2. Are these not the best, most exciting NHL finals you have seen for a long time (of ever)? Shorter season so not so many games so by the time they get there they are not so worn out. I don't care who wins but the more games of this caliber the better

3. I like seeing top 10 or 20 lists (or whatever) of the best NHL players of all-time. IMO if this is done I/we/they should do lists of those players who were in their prime when you started watching the NHL. No prob if not they are all fun especially when responded to with respect, and I know you can look at historical data etc

Let me start for fun: I started watching hockey the year after the Leafs won their last Cup, yes I am a Leafs fan, stop laughing

1. Ken Dryden
2. Bernie Parent
3. Martin Brodeur
4. Patrick Roy
5. Tony Esposito

Top 5 Defensemen:
1. Bobby Orr
2. Denis Potvin
3. Nicklas Lidstrom
4. Raymond Bourque
5. Brad Park
(as an aside probably the best purly defensive defenseman to me was Bill White, not a lot of offensive skill but just plain played defense properly)

Top 10 Forwards
1. Wayne Gretzky
2. Mario Lemieux
3. Mike Bossy
4. Phil Esposito
5. Guy Lafleur
6. Gilbert Perreault
7. Marcel Dionne
8. Mark Messier
9. Steve Yzerman
10. Peter Stastny
(Most underrated: Steve Larmer)

(For Leafs still love Darryl and Lanny)

*OK I left off Crosby and Ovechkin who are still writing their stories and who are incredibly talented and no doubt will make everyone's top lists by the time they retire. And you may disagree and put out a name and I am sure I will go, yes how did I leave that guy off, either way the ones I put here were IMO damn good and I love the debates, all part of the fun)

I'm not old enough to have seen a majority of these guys play their careers, but Doug Harvey and his 7 Norris trophies might be enough to knock Brad Park out of the top 5. With that being said, Park played a good chunk of his career during Bobby Orr's run, so he never even had a shot to win himself.

kilgore111

Jul 12, 2010
I'm not old enough to have seen a majority of these guys play their careers, but Doug Harvey and his 7 Norris trophies might be enough to knock Brad Park out of the top 5. With that being said, Park played a good chunk of his career during Bobby Orr's run, so he never even had a shot to win himself.

Harvey was before my time

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

1. Ken Dryden
2. Bernie Parent
3. Martin Brodeur
4. Patrick Roy
5. Tony Esposito

So you list guys who were in their prime when you started watching hockey (1968) and then proceed to list guys who weren't in the league, or anywhere close to being in the league, at that time? Brodeur wasn't even born when you started watching hockey. Shouldn't it be guys who were in their prime after you started watching?

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
thanks guys
we're still state of emergency, but as of right now: sun is shining.

kilgore111

Jul 12, 2010
So you list guys who were in their prime when you started watching hockey (1968) and then proceed to list guys who weren't in the league, or anywhere close to being in the league, at that time? Brodeur wasn't even born when you started watching hockey. Shouldn't it be guys who were in their prime after you started watching?

Players who I saw (witnessed) play in their prime, players who played in their prime since I became a hockey fan. In other words players who since 1968 have played while in their prime. So players who were in their prime in 1968 and since. Don't know how else to say what I meant.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad