OT: Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDeuce

Halak, Ryder, and a second.
Feb 22, 2009
One is not educated musically until they've listened to The Shaggs' Philosophy of the World.

The conceptual beginning of the Shaggs came from Austin Wiggin's mother who, when her son was young, had predicted during a palmreading that he would marry a strawberry blonde woman, that he would have two daughters after she had died, and that his daughters would form a popular music group. The first two predictions proved accurate, so Austin set about making the third come true as well.[8] Austin withdrew his daughters from school, bought them instruments, and arranged for them to receive music and vocal lessons. The Wiggin sisters themselves never planned to become a music group, but as Dot later said, "[Austin] was something of a disciplinarian. He was stubborn and he could be temperamental. He directed. We obeyed. Or did our best."[9] Austin named the Shaggs after the popular shag hairstyle and as a reference to shaggy dogs.[9] In 1968, Austin arranged for the girls to play a regular Saturday night gig at the Fremont, New Hampshire, Town Hall.

Kurt Cobain ranked Philosophy of the World No. 5 on his 50 best albums list.

The challenge in listening to Philosophy of the World is to suspend what you think music should be. The best way to approach it is to think "Hey, if aliens came down to Earth knowing nothing about humanity, our culture, or our music, and, in that complete state of ignorance, tried to make "music", what would it sound like?"

The Shaggs "Philosophy of the World" is the answer to that question.

One thing to keep in mind while you're sampling this esoteric form of art: these sisters aren't playing badly or making mistakes in their performance. Apparently they're playing the music exactly as scored!

And so I present The Shaggs' Philosophy of the World. Treat it like that first Borat film and take it in small doses. Especially the "My Pal Foot Foot" track.

m.

Reactions: Daximus

Daximus

Wow, what a terrific audience.
Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
I'll post a few of my favourite songs live because a band is only as good as they can play.

First one is prog-rock band Minus The Bear. One of my all-time favourite bands.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Next up, the elite of the elite technical progressive metal bands in the history of metal. Between the Buried and Me. There are so many songs I could do but I went with one of the newish live records that showcases their technical musicianship. Warning: screaming will occur.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Next up is probably the biggest progressive metalcore band on the planet right now. The boys from Brighton, Architects. These guys influenced my band so much back in the day and we actually got the pleasure of playing a show in Canada with them. They put on an insanely technical, precise and energetic live performance. This song is about their lead guitar player who died from cancer. The emotion and energy in this song is addicting. Warning: Lots of screaming.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Next up guilty pleasure band Paramore. This grammy party performance is just to good. Sitting down Haley Williams is probably better than anyone I've ever heard on any of these voice, masked singer or american idol shows.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Next up because I am that bored. Bring Me The Horizon's concert at the Royal Albert Hall showcases what a metalcore band is capable of when you give them a full orchestra and choir to reproduce their songs.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Have to throw in Ukrainian metal band Jinjer whose live rendition of Pisces has been all over youtube for awhile, garnering over 35 millions views. Tatiana is probably the best female vocalist in the biz of metal right now.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Reaching back to pre-teen me and another guilty pleasure band, Acceptance. Their vocalist is just so damn good.

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
The concept albums of Cladio Sanchez come to life with his band Coheed & Cambria and just their general weirdness makes them a fun listen.

Reactions: chaos4

Daximus

Sponsor
Oct 11, 2014
Five Hills
Another one of my all-time favourite bands, Thrice. Hard to find good quality videos of their live stuff from the 2000's. But they are still rockin and still sound damn good live.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->