OT: Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The new Headstones album is great

For those of us not familiar with the band, which song from their album do you like best? Also, prior to this, which of their songs do you recommend? Thanks in advance.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

How many of you Quebecers have heard of this band? Solid hard rock from the early 70's.

Just listened to this again. A solid brand of hard rock for the time.

Here's the song that had gotten airplay at the time. I don't think it's their best offering.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Somewhat of a big news: TooTall, Montreal/CHOM's rock legend, will be retiring on September 29th after being on the air for 40 years.

As some were talking about prog rock, I recently re-discovered the album de-loused in the comatorium by the Mars Volta. That album is so amazing

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Somewhat of a big news: TooTall, Montreal/CHOM's rock legend, will be retiring on September 29th after being on the air for 40 years.

As some were talking about prog rock, I recently re-discovered the album de-loused in the comatorium by the Mars Volta. That album is so amazing

I listened to Too Tall in his heyday. It's another sign of the cruel passage of time.

Although I must say, I thought that CHOM hosts never retired, they only made themselves future hires for CJAD.

deandebean

Jan 14, 2003
Gatineau
Visit site
Our Lady Peace opening for Guns n Roses at Parc Jean Drapeau on Aug. 19th. Who's going?

I've asked close friends if they want to go but some of them don't want to risk it claiming that the singer of Guns n Roses is unstable enough to bolt from the gig at the last minute or cutting it short. How likely is that? If that happens, can't they just ask Our Lady Peace to come back to the stage and put in extra time?

Axl has mellowed. You'll be ok.

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
I don't know how popular Gentle Giant are still but they were definitely on the radar in the 70s and 80s. When looking them up, I found this exquisite quote:

They had partial reunions a few years ago, so unlike some of their contemporaries who had more full-out reunion tours, they may have faded in the background on account of it.

im kind of suprised you know them i was a really big prog fan when i was younger and had never heard of these guys ever until some hip hop guy sampled this song, i really liked the sample and found the original

ELP for me is still best of prog ever

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
im kind of suprised you know them i was a really big prog fan when i was younger and had never heard of these guys ever until some hip hop guy sampled this song, i really liked the sample and found the original

ELP for me is still best of prog ever

I liked ELP until they produced a series of albums that were bunk. The band admitted as much as they just went through the motions to fulfill a contractual obligation and basically just used formulaic derivatives of their style. It's too bad as it tainted some of their better work.

I listened to a lot of stuff that was off beat, from prog, to fusion, to hard rock. Maybe you might recognize this one:

From a pure execution perspective, the best prog album I ever heard and I've listened to it a ton, is PFM's Chocolate Kings. Too bad their singer had such a heavy foreign accent. They should have hired a true English-speaking singer for the gig. Still, the music is unbelievably amazing.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Rubicon

Or this power funk band, their horn section is spectacular intertwined with a lots of thumb-slapping on the bass that just made the song a killer for its era. Still sounds great:

Imagine this live. I never got to see them and I'm not a horn fan but damnit. Includes nice bass, organ and sax solos.

Invite these guys to the jazz fest. They've got sumthin'.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
PFM - Harlequin

This is it for me. A statement prog cut. Some of the best playing I ever had a chance to experience. Hope you like it.

Last edited:

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
For those of us not familiar with the band, which song from their album do you like best? Also, prior to this, which of their songs do you recommend? Thanks in advance.

I grew up listening to these guys, they do a great cover of tweeter and the monkey man, blonde and blue, settle, 3 angels will get a good feel for them.

Deebs,I had no idea they were still recording. I had purchased Hugh Dillons solo album about a dozen years ago and kind of forgot about them.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Aquiles Priester, Drummer for Tony MacAlpine

Last edited:

SquiddFX

#Seanski
Dec 16, 2013
Montreal
The best drum solo I've ever witnessed was Neil Peart 2-3 years ago at the Bell Centre. He had three drum solos and he was surrounded by drums. He had a drum pad that would switch the sound of his drums. One of his solos was an impressive Drum and Bass/Jungle style solo that was mesmerizing. Best drummer in the world in my opinion.

Reactions: Laurentide

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Anyone go to Metallica last night? I'm going to GnR next month and was curious how the new venue looked? Was reading it was a bit of a walk after you get off the metro to the site.

didimentionlarseller

Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
Anyone go to Metallica last night? I'm going to GnR next month and was curious how the new venue looked? Was reading it was a bit of a walk after you get off the metro to the site.

i gave away my ticket for Metallica my friend who went said there wasn't even a pit at the show so kind of glad i skipped it

yea it's a bit of a hike if you get off Jean Drapeau metro which is right by the biome you have to walk back across to where the racetrack is - about 20-30 min no big deal

i can't decide to goto GnR or not I saw Use Your Illusion tour and this can't be better than that

if anyone cares Method Man and Redman are playing two nights in a row next week in Toronto then London on ill be at both and so wasted

didimentionlarseller

Nov 23, 2014
St Henri
does anyone like this or know these guys? I like this one song a lot but the rest of the album is so meh

this is the original song from the new 4:44 by Jay Z she can sing when i heard the sample i thought it was blacksoul from the mid 70's her voice is so good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad