OT: Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I'm so divided on Dream Theater. On one hand, they're incredible musicians and I'm inspired when I hear them. On the other, their songwriting is inconsistent and borders on annoying and pretentious more often than I'd like. Still, they have some great tunes and Scenes from a Memory is just incredible.
It's like a metal Gentle Giant. :sarcasm:

Reactions: ArtPeur

Guilliam

Jul 30, 2010
Montreal
I'm so divided on Dream Theater. On one hand, they're incredible musicians and I'm inspired when I hear them. On the other, their songwriting is inconsistent and borders on annoying and pretentious more often than I'd like. Still, they have some great tunes and Scenes from a Memory is just incredible.

Yeah I used to love them, but I couldn't get interested in anything they did after Scenes from a Memory. That was definitely the apotheosis of their career.

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Which version? Thought Disturbed did an admiral job on the cover.

I think it kind of butchers what the song is about to me... it really is the sound of silence. To make an extremely bombastic cover full of saccharine about it just feels they completely missed the mark on it. But to each their own.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I think it kind of butchers what the song is about to me... it really is the sound of silence. To make an extremely bombastic cover full of saccharine about it just feels they completely missed the mark on it. But to each their own.

Can appreciate your sentiment,however the cover is done in a respectful manner.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I think your assessment is bang on.

I really got turned off by them when they released The Astonishing album. I had the misfortune of going to see them when they only performed songs from that album and was just never able to get into it. Plus, all of the puppets they had created for it were ill-conceived and smacked at a desperate attempt at force feeding weird characters into the ether when they should have never left the anal canal they came from.

Last edited:

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Can appreciate your sentiment,however the cover is done in a respectful manner.

To be fair, I'm not really a fan of Simon and Garfunkel's full band version of it either, Disturbed just took it to a whole new level. The original one is the only one I truly like but goddamn that's a great song.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If you could stream songs from only one LP, which would it be regardless of musical style?

There are people who fall into this category as I found out when I traveled Europe a decade ago. Was talking to a guy about an old car he had held on to and he told me how he was also driving a newer vehicle and how for every single car he had ever owned, he always had Simon & Garfunkel's Greatest Hits album handy.

Of course, the thought of only resorting to the one album has become ludicrous on account of streaming services.

Just for the hell of it, what LP would you never grow tired of?

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I think your assessment is bang on.

I really got turned off by them when they released The Astonishing album. I had the misfortune of going to see them when they only performed songs from that album and was just never able to get into it. Plus, all of the puppets they had created for it were ill-conceived and smacked at a desperate attempt at force feeding weird characters into the ether when they should have never left the anal canal they came from.

That's too bad. I haven't listened to DT since 6DoIT so I decided to give try a couple songs from Astonishing. Yikes lol. I'll give em credit for trying something different. The cheese is just too much though. Way too operatic and extravagant and it just doesn't work. Lord whatever sounds like they covered a disney musical. Usually with DT, I criticize them for lack of songwriting. It always seems to be a battle to see who is the most proficient at his instrument. They usually stumble in the same pitfalls over and over again where they abandon all structure and just shred.

I'll take Scenes From A Memeory as an example of why Dream Theater can be so good since I'm most familiar with it. From the start to the finish, the album has structure. Every song save for maybe Dance of Eternity has a purpose and tells a story. From the clever foreshadowing of Overture, the catchy Strange Deja Vu, the epic Home and Pink Floyd like Finally Free. Each song takes the time to tell the overall story of the album and this requires the artists to actually work together rather than always try to one up each other. It doesn't have any of the most popular songs from the band but it's regarded as their best by many for a reason.

If you could stream songs from only one LP, which would it be regardless of musical style?

There are people who fall into this category as I found out when I traveled Europe a decade ago. Was talking to a guy about an old car he had held on to and he told me how he was also driving a newer vehicle and how for every single car he had ever owned, he always had Simon & Garfunkel's Greatest Hits album handy.

Of course, the thought of only resorting to the one album has become ludicrous on account of streaming services.

One album is tough as I get sick of anything after too many listens. One that I kept in my truck for an extremely long time though was actually a live album from Opeth called the Roundhouse Tapes. It's kinda cheating I know and I'm not as into death metal anymore but it is brilliant and the songs are intricate enough to not get repetitive. Another that I love as a guitarist is John Butler's original album. That one is just amazing. Maybe Moving Pictures from Rush or SuperUnknown by Sound Garden would be up there too. I like other genres too but I feel like rock/prog/metal are better than simpler genres on multiple listens.

Reactions: Runner77

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

Probably Pink Floyd's Division Bell for me. Been listening to it since it first came out and I still play the hell out of it now.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Any Bowie fans round these parts?

Kinda.

I guess he's next on the list of Life Picture Movie :dunno:
.. but I really like Elton John more that Bowie. I only like their hits though

I get that guy. There are albums that are meant to be listened for specific moments, I'd say. I usually listen to stuff that goes with my current mood or simply the weather. There are albums that are meant for cold rainy/snowy days and others for beautiful sunny days. Anyhow, I don't know which album I'd pick. There are so many that comes to mind and so many that I forget at the same time.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Most say it's good, I might watch it this weekend

So much quality music from Elton, a lot of it is not known to younger generations. The guy was just magical. Saw him at the Montreal Forum once and it was in the days when he was ugh, consuming. Let's just say he wasn't all there. At one point, he was unable to follow the beat and was playing out of synch.

I remember how in the middle of the song, his bass player rushed to his side and used the neck of his bass as a metronome, replicating the drummer's pace. His timing was off for several more seconds yet but gradually he caught up enough to be able to finish the song. I never forgot the panicked scurrying about by his bass player when Elton was losing it and how his other band members had a look of panic to them. His brain must have been smashed to smithereens at that moment.

Reactions: ArtPeur

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Bowie is better than Elton lol GTFO I love Elton but hes basically a pop singer and nothing else, great voice. Bowie is an artist that went from style to style to style and pretty much nailed them all. He dipped his toe in punk, techno, prog, etc.

Reactions: lo striver

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
Bowie is better than Elton lol GTFO I love Elton but hes basically a pop singer and nothing else, great voice. Bowie is an artist that went from style to style to style and pretty much nailed them all. He dipped his toe in punk, techno, prog, etc.

I don't care lol GTFO

:sarcasm:

Nah seriously. I like maybe 20 songs from the Sir and maybe 10 from Bowie

Reactions: Runner77
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->