OT: Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The 2019 Sanremo Festival has now concluded. If someone is curious about the production quality of the show, this opening number based on a hit by Claudio Baglioni from the 70s, "Voglio andar via", gives a good idea:

Reactions: overlords

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Such a great song.

Melnick played this on his show a couple weeks ago and I quite enjoyed this song. I hardly listen to any new music and never heard of these guys until hearing this song. I haven't checked out any more music from these guys yet but will later.

I've discovered so many great songs since I started listening to Melnick's show a few years ago. His taste in music and mine are very similar.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Such a great song.

Melnick played this on his show a couple weeks ago and I quite enjoyed this song. I hardly listen to any new music and never heard of these guys until hearing this song. I haven't checked out any more music from these guys yet but will later.

I've discovered so many great songs since I started listening to Melnick's show a few years ago. His taste in music and mine are very similar.

Greta's cut sounds a little to formulaic déja-vu to me. Only judging the one song, they may have other pieces in their repertoire that may make me feel differently, I don't know.

The first cut was more interesting.

How much does your like for Melnick's songs extend to? I mean, does it include his abhorrent unconditional love for everything Bob Dylan? How about all these obscure acts he features that are forgettable a few seconds after they've aired? Musical taste is personal and you give and take in my view.

If I'm going to listen to someone play songs on the radio, the better bet for me is Randy Bachman's spinal tap. He's so knowledgeable and presents stuff to you from both sides of a stage, lots of great anecdotes and even music instrument recommendations. Unfortunately, it's only available on a live listen basis, no podcasts since it would be too expensive for the station to pay off all the rights to the tons of songs he features on every show: Randy Bachman

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Greta's cut sounds a little to formulaic déja-vu to me. Only judging the one song, they may have other pieces in their repertoire that may make me feel differently, I don't know.

The first cut was more interesting.

How much does your like for Melnick's songs extend to? I mean, does it include his abhorrent unconditional love for everything Bob Dylan? How about all these obscure acts he features that are forgettable a few seconds after they've aired? Musical taste is personal and you give and take in my view.

If I'm going to listen to someone play songs on the radio, the better bet for me is Randy Bachman's spinal tap. He's so knowledgeable and presents stuff to you from both sides of a stage, lots of great anecdotes and even music instrument recommendations. Unfortunately, it's only available on a live listen basis, no podcasts since it would be too expensive for the station to pay off all the rights to the tons of songs he features on every show: Randy Bachman

I haven't listened to any other Greta music other than the song I posted but I like that song but will see how others sound later. The song as that old classic rock feel to it for me which is the type of music I mostly listen too. Melnick does play stuff that doesn't appeal to me but for the most part I like what he plays and have discovered some good tunes since listening to his show.

As for Dylan.. Well I like many Dylan songs but with not him signing them. :) That 30th anniversary Bob Dylan celebration MSG concert from 1992 that I've watched too many times to count now is one of my favorite things to listen too. So many great performances during that concert. Clapton's performance was probably be favorite but Lou Reed signing Dylan's Foot of Pride was just awesome. This one is pretty good as well along with many more.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I haven't listened to any other Greta music other than the song I posted but I like that song but will see how others sound later. The song as that old classic rock feel to it for me which is the type of music I mostly listen too. Melnick does play stuff that doesn't appeal to me but for the most part I like what he plays and have discovered some good tunes since listening to his show.

As for Dylan.. Well I like many Dylan songs but with not him signing them. :) That 30th anniversary Bob Dylan celebration MSG concert from 1992 that I've watched too many times to count now is one of my favorite things to listen too. So many great performances during that concert. Clapton's performance was probably be favorite but Lou Reed signing Dylan's Foot of Pride was just awesome. This one is pretty good as well along with many more.

That's right up my alley. I played with various local bands and did some studio work for a long time and have played my share of this type of music. It never gets old, if you know what I mean. And you do, since you're still enjoying this today.

That's an awesome clip. Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: sheed36

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
That's right up my alley. I played with various local bands and did some studio work for a long time and have played my share of this type of music. It never gets old, if you know what I mean. And you do, since you're still enjoying this today.

That's an awesome clip. Thanks for sharing.

Yes it is and it's just one of many great performances from that concert. Seems videos from that concert don't seem to last long on youtube especially the song My Back Pages which was great.

Here's the audio from Lou Reed doing Foot of Pride which is one of my favorites from the entire thing.

This performance from Clapton is quite awesome as well along with many more if one could find them. The entire concert is a great listen if one likes that type of music.

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I'm just about through the Greta Van Fleet discography. Man, it borders on plagiarism. :laugh:

Pretty good overall, the singer and drummer are very Plant - Bonham, less so with the bass and guitar but some riffs are very Pagey and their acoustic stuff is very reminiscent of Zep 2 and 3.
Will listen again.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'm just about through the Greta Van Fleet discography. Man, it borders on plagiarism. :laugh:

Pretty good overall, the singer and drummer are very Plant - Bonham, less so with the bass and guitar but some riffs are very Pagey and their acoustic stuff is very reminiscent of Zep 2 and 3.
Will listen again.
I mean it's good, but there's no Bonham in there for me and the production doesn't border on the genious level Led Zeppelin has. I guess that at a quick listen you could say it is, because the signer is so damn similar to Plant... But the rest of the band doesn't follow through, which is fine... Kinda bores me tbh, I want to hear new songs, even if theyre based off older sound.

That you're the one song is something a lot closer to their style, I really see no LZ in there, aside from the high notes and stutter tones, obviously.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I PVRed the Grammys and rewatching them now, Cardi B offered a stunning performance yesterday. Very dynamic, she stood out from the lot which was punctuated by the mostly stagnant offerings:

Alicia Keys was the host and operated at a whole other level of cool -- totally unflappable. Liked to see Kacey Musgraves rack up Best Country Album, I had discovered her on one of the late shows. I usually just fast forward performances on late shows, they tend to be indistinguishable but she was one of the ones that stood out for me and I'm not even a country fan.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Best Rap Song went to Drake -- and he had a refreshing perspective about receiving his award:

"I definitely did not think I was winning anything ... I want to take this opportunity while I'm up here, to just talk to all the kids that are watching, that are inspired to do music -- all my peers that make music from their hearts, that do things pure and tell the truth. I wanna let you know, we play in an opinion-based sport, not a factual-based sport. So it's not the NBA where at the end of the year, you're holding a trophy cause you made the right decisions that won the games.

This is a business where sometimes, you know, it's up to a bunch of people that might not understand what a mixed race kid from Canada has to say, or a Spanish girl from New York or anybody else, or a brother from Houston right there, my brother Travis.

Look, the point is, you've already won if you have people who are singing your songs word for word, if you're a hero in your home town, if look, look, if there's people who have regular jobs who are coming out in the rain, in the snow, spending their hard earned money to buy tickets to come to your shows -- you don't need this (pointing to his Grammy Award) right here. I promise you. You already won."

Oh, Canada. :handclap:

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I have a slightly different take on this than Drake does. I believe you've won when you can simply make a living at anything you like and that includes making and performing music. Especially in the music industry, where artists are known to starve for years on end and where so few are able to sustain themselves long enough not to give up. Drake, forget who's lining up in the rain and snow -- to me, you start winning when you're making a living at what you enjoy. The rest, is gravy.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Brandi Carlile, another singer I found out about through a late show performance, totally killed it at the Grammys with her song, The Joke. I couldn't find a full video of it that is viewable in Canada, but it sounded something like this:

Carlile shares how she felt on stage, while she looked out to the audience:

They have a snippet of her performance here, if you can tolerate the annoying lady in this clip:

If you can get a clip of the whole performance, please post. It's simply stunning. She was able to take a usually jaded and bored Grammy audience, by storm.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
If someone comes across that equipment, it's going on EBay.

Someone posted this acoustic cover of Africa by Mike Masse in a thread on the entertainment board here and it's pretty damn awesome IMO.

After listening to that great cover I listened to some other Mike Masse tunes on his YouTube channel and he has some pretty awesome acoustic covers of some old 70's, 80's, and 90's music.

This Boston - More than a Feeling cover is amazing. The violinist is incredible and quite easy on the eyes as well. :)

Reactions: Dick Duff

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Someone posted this acoustic cover of Africa by Mike Masse in a thread on the entertainment board here and it's pretty damn awesome IMO.

After listening to that great cover I listened to some other Mike Masse tunes on his YouTube channel and he has some pretty awesome acoustic covers of some old 70's, 80's, and 90's music.

I really enjoyed that. Wasn't expecting such fine vocals, especially since I attended a Toto concert not too long ago, their performance of this song is still fresh in my mind.

Looking up Mike Masse further, he's got quite the reputation for doing rock covers. He's also someone people hire for their weddings and such. A man's got to make a living.

Thanks for sharing.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
I really enjoyed that. Wasn't expecting such fine vocals, especially since I attended a Toto concert not too long ago, their performance of this song is still fresh in my mind.

Looking up Mike Masse further, he's got quite the reputation for doing rock covers. He's also someone people hire for their weddings and such. A man's got to make a living.

Thanks for sharing.

I've listened to a bunch of his covers on his YouTube channel now and he really is quite good. That More than a Feeling cover is something else though. Can't stop listening to that one and watching Jenny Oaks Baker do her thing. :)

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I've listened to a bunch of his covers on his YouTube channel now and he really is quite good. That More than a Feeling cover is something else though. Can't stop listening to that one and watching Jenny Oaks Baker do her thing. :)

Boston were ahead of their time. It's amazing how Tom Scholz came to create one of the most iconic songs of the rock world:

But before all of this, BOSTON’s guitarist, Tom Scholz, was working at Polaroid after receiving a masters degree in engineering from MIT and really had no idea how to play guitar.

That is until he started listening to The Kinks, fiddling around with instruments, and creating his own music equipment to bring the sounds he was looking for to life.

So, do you think that becoming a world-renowned musician was his plan when he was applying to colleges? No. But when the inspiration hit him, he acted and made it his job to create what he wanted. He intertwined his engineering background into the music industry—and the sounds that came out of it were his very own.

“From studying physics I learned, basically, how music worked. How the human ear heard it; all of the principles of superposition and phase cancellation and things like this, that, you know, maybe a lot of musicians, even engineers, sometimes are unfamiliar with. And I think that gave me a big edge.” — Tom Scholz, BOSTON

How Tom Scholz Went from Engineer to Rockstar | EWC

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Boston were ahead of their time. It's amazing how Tom Scholz came to create one of the most iconic songs of the rock world:

But before all of this, BOSTON’s guitarist, Tom Scholz, was working at Polaroid after receiving a masters degree in engineering from MIT and really had no idea how to play guitar.

That is until he started listening to The Kinks, fiddling around with instruments, and creating his own music equipment to bring the sounds he was looking for to life.

So, do you think that becoming a world-renowned musician was his plan when he was applying to colleges? No. But when the inspiration hit him, he acted and made it his job to create what he wanted. He intertwined his engineering background into the music industry—and the sounds that came out of it were his very own.

“From studying physics I learned, basically, how music worked. How the human ear heard it; all of the principles of superposition and phase cancellation and things like this, that, you know, maybe a lot of musicians, even engineers, sometimes are unfamiliar with. And I think that gave me a big edge.” — Tom Scholz, BOSTON

How Tom Scholz Went from Engineer to Rockstar | EWC

I've never listened to much Boston except their more popular music. I don't know why I never did though since I really like listening to them but I guess it isn't too late to start. :)

I'm still going through Mike Masse's YouTube channel listening to more of his covers. His version of Snow Patrol's Chasing Cars is great. Gonna give him a little break now though and listen to a few Kinks tunes since it was mentioned in your post and it's been a while. :thumbu:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I've never listened to much Boston except their more popular music. I don't know why I never did though since I really like listening to them but I guess it isn't too late to start. :)

I'm still going through Mike Masse's YouTube channel listening to more of his covers. His version of Snow Patrol's Chasing Cars is great. Gonna give him a little break now though and listen to a few Kinks tunes since it was mentioned in your post and it's been a while. :thumbu:

Well, I was really into them and recognized that they were special early on. More than a feeling was a rock radio staple, as soon as it aired. It created a tectonic shift and made Scholz legendary.

Scholz's mythological image was enhanced by the nerdy and very quirky behind the scenes existence the band led. As I recall, they just worked out of their studio, they weren't inclined to tour in the early years.

As for their repertoire, there is frankly not all that much beyond a few songs. They just hit it big with something that was particular to them but can't say they had the songwriting talents of their peers. They just had the 3 or 4 really good songs and then the rest was really kind of average.

Outside of More than a feeling, this one did well for them. The build up in the middle of it, which is punctuated by Tom Scholz's majestic textured and powerful sound at 3:15, was unique to him at the time -- no one had mastered the technology as he had.

The third song to hit it big on the radio at the time was this, with the annoying electronic hand clap that bands used in the day:

A 4th song that also got traction is this:

You may like others from their repertoire. I'm just going with what was well received when it came out.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You might find this interesting. Boston's original drummer passed away in 2017, in very unusual circumstances:

Sib Hashian -- the drummer for the rock group Boston -- died after collapsing onstage Wednesday night ... TMZ has learned.

Sib's son, Adam, tells us the drummer was on the Legends of Rock Cruise and was midset when he suddenly collapsed. A witness says CPR was performed and a defibrillator was used but to no avail.

Hashian died on stage, while performing. I can't tell you how many times I've heard musicians say how they'd like to go this way when the time comes. But to actually see someone famous passing away like that, is pretty shocking.

Other piece of interesting trivia: Hashian's daughter is in a relationship with The Rock, who offered a moving tribute to him:

Dwayne Johnson Honors His 'Second Dad' Sib Hashian, Classic Rockers Pay Tribute to Deceased Ex-Boston Drummer

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad