Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
He's great, especially the very dark songs like End of the Rainbow:

"Tycoons and barrow boys will rob you
And throw you on the side
And all because they love themselves sincerely
And the man holds a bread knife
Up to you throat is four feet wide
And he's anxious just to show you what it's for.
Your mother works so hard to make you happy
But take a look outside the nursery door
There's nothing at the end of the rainbow.
There's nothing to grow up for anymore"

From one of his albums with former wife Linda called I Want to see the Bright Lights Tonight.

I just listened to the End of the Rainbow and it's indeed a dark song but it's really good. I then went searching for the entire I Want to see the Bright Lights Tonight album and have been listening to it ever since. The entire album is some really good listening and some songs are very dark but still quite enjoyable to listen to. The song Withered and Died even though it's a great song is to me the darkest and most depressing song on the entire album.

The songs that have stood out for me from my brief listen to the album as been:
The Calvary Cross
Withered and Died
I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight
Has He Got a Friend for Me
The End of the Rainbow

I'm sure the more I listen the more I'll also enjoy the rest of the album as well. Linda Thompson's vocals are really fantastic combined with Richard's great guitar playing. Thanks for posting and bringing this album to my attention. It's really worth a listen. :thumbu:

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I just listened to the End of the Rainbow and it's indeed a dark song but it's really good. I then went searching for the entire I Want to see the Bright Lights Tonight album and have been listening to it ever since. The entire album is some really good listening and some songs are very dark but still quite enjoyable to listen to. The song Withered and Died even though it's a great song is to me the darkest and most depressing song on the entire album.

The songs that have stood out for me from my brief listen to the album as been:
The Calvary Cross
Withered and Died
I Want to See the Bright Lights Tonight
Has He Got a Friend for Me
The End of the Rainbow

I'm sure the more I listen the more I'll also enjoy the rest of the album as well. Linda Thompson's vocals are really fantastic combined with Richard's great guitar playing. Thanks for posting and bringing this album to my attention. It's really worth a listen. :thumbu:

Always great to find someone else who likes RT. Very underrated.

Here is his tribute to Joni Mitchell.

Here is one of the best songs ever written with very nice acoustic guitar.

This is a killer line:

"Brown hair zig-zag round her face
And a look of half-surprise
Like a fox caught in the headlights
There was an animal in her eyes"

Reactions: sheed36

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I haven't listened to any recent Aussie Floyd stuff lately so I don't know if they've improved any. I didn't like their vocals at all and much preferred the vocals from Brit Floyd's Ian Cattell instead.

I have 3 Brit Floyd concerts here on DVD. Their first ever Live In Liverpool DVD from 2011. The 2013 Red Rocks DVD and their Space And Time - Live In Amsterdam 2015 DVD. All are really good shows. The Red Rocks show is probably my favorite because the venue is beautiful.
The Aussie Floyd is from 1988 and Britt from 2011. Gotta go with the original Aussie
to be a fair comparison.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
The Aussie Floyd is from 1988 and Britt from 2011. Gotta go with the original Aussie to be a fair comparison.

I didn't know there was a recorded 1988 concert from Aussie Floyd. I have their 2004 show that was recorded @ Kings Dock, Liverpool which I thought was their 1st released show so I'll have to check that out. I also have their 2007 show that was recorded at the Royal Albert Hall after Ian Cattell was brought in to do vocals on a few songs.

Pre 2010 Aussie Floyd was great but for me their quality really slipped after Damian Darlington, Ian Cattell, and the ladies split and formed Brit Floyd in 2011 and they're much better than the current Aussie Floyd line up but that's just my opinion of course. :)

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
I didn't know there was a recorded 1988 concert from Aussie Floyd. I have their 2004 show that was recorded @ Kings Dock, Liverpool which I thought was their 1st released show so I'll have to check that out.
Here's the one I got. There's no date on the video, but the description says 1988. I does seem a bit early.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Here's the one I got. There's no date on the video, but the description says 1988. I does seem a bit early.

That looks like the 2011 show with the new Aussie Floyd line up after Damian Darlington, Ian Cattell, and the ladies left to form Brit Floyd.

Aussie Floyd was formed in 1988 so that might be where the 1988 comes from. :dunno:

I don't see the full 2004 Aussie Floyd show from Kings Dock on YouTube but here's the 2007 Aussie Floyd Show with the old line up from the Royal Albert Hall.

Here is Brit Floyd @ Red Rocks from 2013 if you want to also check that out. I don't think it's the full show though. I believe it's missing the song Coming Back to Life. :(

peate

Smiley
Sponsor
Feb 16, 2007
The Island
That looks like the 2011 show with the new Aussie Floyd line up after Damian Darlington, Ian Cattell, and the ladies left to form Brit Floyd.

Aussie Floyd was formed in 1988 so that might be where the 1988 comes from. :dunno:

I don't see the full 2004 Aussie Floyd show from Kings Dock on YouTube but here's the 2007 Aussie Floyd Show with the old line up from the Royal Albert Hall.

Here is Brit Floyd @ Red Rocks from 2013 if you want to also check that out. I don't think it's the full show though. I believe it's missing the song Coming Back to Life. :(

The one I saw years ago is possibly from 2004. I'll have to ask my buddy where he got it from. It might have been a commercial DVD.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
If someone comes across that equipment, it's going on EBay.

Reactions: sheed36

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
Always great to find someone else who likes RT. Very underrated.

Here is his tribute to Joni Mitchell.

Here is one of the best songs ever written with very nice acoustic guitar.

This is a killer line:

"Brown hair zig-zag round her face
And a look of half-surprise
Like a fox caught in the headlights
There was an animal in her eyes"

Just got around to listening to these. Very nice.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Been doing my annual Italian music immersion with the Sanremo music festival, a competition featuring 24 acts performing original songs in a competition, with the winner crowned on Saturday.

The festival is unlike shows we are used to in North America. It's a bit of a marathon. It began on Tuesday with a 4-hour show and will continue like that with 4 hours a day until Saturday. Since they can't possibly fill all of that time with music, they'll have established musical guests from all over the world performing, including actors and celebrities brought in to be interviewed. One year, Henry Winkler attended as he still has a huge following in Italy on account of Happy Days, naturally.

There was the year when Hugh Hefner was interviewed and the interview was interrupted when a young lady began walking toward the stage while taking her clothes off, before security could get to her. Or the time Roberto Benigni made a grand entrance into the Ariston on a white horse that stumbled and almost fell. Not to mention a ton of retro musical acts from the 70s and 80s.

For the first time, they've set up a site that allows playback of the various artists's performances: RaiPlay, Per te. Per tutti. On the first day, all 24 acts opened their songs, so the whole show was dedicated to them.

Day 2 is more interesting as they're only going to feature 12 of the 24 competitors, so it leaves time for guests like Riccardo Cocciante who performed yesterday. It's the most important music festival and competition in Italy -- this is the 69th edition.

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
During my Youtube travels a while ago I came across a guys Youtube channel who does song mashups. I've listened to most of them on his channel and some of these songs are very well done and are quite good I thought. Here's examples of some of the mashups he does.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Couldn't find the movies thread or rather there was no way of posting in it but one of the greats of acting has passed away. Albert Finney, one of my favorite actors and he made an album (or more) so it isn't totally out of place.

Albert Finney - Albert Finney's Album

Anyway, Tom Jones is one of my favorite films and so is Miller's Crossing.
Should have won an Oscar.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad