OT: Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
What about the worst concert you have been to, no garage bands but a band you were a fan of? I have 2, the first was the Kinks (Ray Davies is one of the best song writers of all time). Anyway he was drunk and you could tell his broiher was pissed off. He sang the Banana Boat Song for 20 minutes walking around shouting Day-oh-day-oh. I left before the concert was over. The second time it was Mott The Hoople, Ian Hunter the singer could not hit the high notes and sang them in a lower second harmony style amd it was awful and David Bowie's guitarist Mick Ronson played with them and he's a favorite of mine but the mixing was awful and I could hardly hear it. What about you guys?

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What about the worst concert you have been to, no garage bands but a band you were a fan of? I have 2, the first was the Kinks (Ray Davies is one of the best song writers of all time). Anyway he was drunk and you could tell his broiher was pissed off. He sang the Banana Boat Song for 20 minutes walking around shouting Day-oh-day-oh. I left before the concert was over. The second time it was Mott The Hoople, Ian Hunter the singer could not hit the high notes and sang them in a lower second harmony style amd it was awful and David Bowie's guitarist Mick Ronson played with them and he's a favorite of mine but the mixing was awful and I could hardly hear it. What about you guys?

For me it was easily Dream Theater in The Astonishing tour. The whole concept reeked. They only played songs from the one album and were pushing these puppets that they created to go with the album. The songs sucked and their puppets sucked even more.

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
#1 probably The Who. The bad boys of rock and roll stopped the show and berated a fan for smoking a bit of pot near the front row, shattered my image of sex, drugs and R&R and then played a dozen songs from their ‘hit new album’ Endless Wire. #2 a tie with Van Halen and Van Halen, saw them with both Sammy & DLR and was just brutal, sounded like crap and they all hated each other. All time most surprisingly good concerts, Metallica around 97 ( they made a live DVD called Cunning Stunts of the show, don’t say that 10x fast in front of the grandmother) and Garth Brooks, great stage show

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Never been to a country music show. What's the ambiance and crowd like?
Depends on the act, there’s those that are ‘true’ country singers that are pretty boring, once went to an Alan Jackson show and my friends date fell asleep. Then there’s others that are rockers that found it easier to make it in country - Keith Urban/Zac Brown put on great shows. Garth grew up a Kiss fan where the stage show was as important as the music so he engaged with the audience and made it an experience as opposed to just standing in one spot. Lots of women love country music, they go more nuts than guys do at a metal show

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010

I have yet to go to a show that was really bad.. but like I said earlier, I felt really bad for Týr, a metal band who was co-headlining a show. I believe it was at the Spectrum before it was demolished. Anyhow, the crowd was very active when the first headlining band started playing aka Alestorm. I didn't know them but they had so much energy. I mean, they're Scots and their frontman was playing guitar-piano in a freaking metal band lol.

22556260319_2c3d79a320_b.jpg

Once they finished their set, people started leaving. I thought they were only going to the bathrooms or smoking so I moved in front of the stage. The next band started playing but after a few songs, I looked behind me to notice that no one came back. If we were more or less 800 while Alestorm was playing, we were less than 50 in front of the stage with barely anyone else in the place. Sad to say but their music, at the time, was almost boring (though I liked it). Maybe 2 years later, they put up a new album who had more energy in their music. They came back for another show where they weren't headlining and people actually liked their music this time.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
I have yet to go to a show that was really bad.. but like I said earlier, I felt really bad for Týr, a metal band who was co-headlining a show. I believe it was at the Spectrum before it was demolished. Anyhow, the crowd was very active when the first headlining band started playing aka Alestorm. I didn't know them but they had so much energy. I mean, they're Scots and their frontman was playing guitar-piano in a freaking metal band lol.

22556260319_2c3d79a320_b.jpg

Once they finished their set, people started leaving. I thought they were only going to the bathrooms or smoking so I moved in front of the stage. The next band started playing but after a few songs, I looked behind me to notice that no one came back. If we were more or less 800 while Alestorm was playing, we were less than 50 in front of the stage with barely anyone else in the place. Sad to say but their music, at the time, was almost boring (though I liked it). Maybe 2 years later, they put up a new album who had more energy in their music. They came back for another show where they weren't headlining and people actually liked their music this time.
Yeah the Captain and metal doesn't really go with the guitar synthesizer even if he's tried to give it a poorboy Eddie Van makeover :laugh:

I wish I could remember the opening acts of all the concerts I've seen, some of them sounded good and likely turned into something but we were always there for the headliner and didn't pay as much attention. The one I will never forget was in the late 80's, went to see Iron Maiden and they had some weird band opening for them, something about Roses n Guns :sarcasm:

Saw ACDC around 2009 and they had a band call The Answer open for them, really liked hem - bit of a Bluesy-Led Zeppelin sound - and thought they were going to hit it big but nada, couple of good songs Under the Sky and Never Too Late and kind of faded away

Volbeat is a band I really want to see again, caught them once at a metal festival but they only played for about an hour on one of the small stages but they're my favourite new band of the last 10 years. They came on just after GWAR, now that's one of the wildest shows I've ever seen, unfortunately their lead singer Oderus Urungus was found dead from an OD about a month later :(

Reactions: ArtPeur

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Haha did I get you?

giphy.gif
I thought the same about the C-is-for-Cookie first time I watched it, after the 30th time I realized I loved it and have been checking out a pile of her other stuff. This time of year always watch the Carrey Grinch with little Taylor Momsen, doesn’t have the same shock value but Pretty Reckless have a few good tunes

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I thought the same about the C-is-for-Cookie first time I watched it, after the 30th time I realized I loved it and have been checking out a pile of her other stuff. This time of year always watch the Carrey Grinch with little Taylor Momsen, doesn’t have the same shock value but Pretty Reckless have a few good tunes

This is a pretty common theme with Jinjer. One of my American friends said the exact same thing: first she hated the song, and the singer for ruining the song. Now she follows them on spotify.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Mick Jenkins, a Chicago rapper who spent a lot of time in Montreal, hence his 514 track:

Last edited:

Hostile Offer

Artist formerly known as Eagle Peninsula
Jun 17, 2017
Finland

Has to be Ulcerate a few years back. But I don't think it was necessarily their fault. The acoustics kinda sucked because it was a super underground venue, however the biggest problem was that nobody showed up. The place was nearly empty and the band looked really pissed and disengaged. I thought I would get blown away that night but ended up getting a cold, rather amateurish sounding gig. That was incredibly disappointing. At least they weren't drunk, though, lol.

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
For me it was easily Dream Theater in The Astonishing tour. The whole concept reeked. They only played songs from the one album and were pushing these puppets that they created to go with the album. The songs sucked and their puppets sucked even more.

Last DT album sucks.

I prefer Leprous, Haken.... these bands are a lot better.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Last DT album sucks.

I used to be a big DT fan but in the last few years I just hear that they're releasing a new album and be like "oh they're still doing stuff". They're like a bad parody of themselves these days. Leprous is cool, kinda have a modern King Crimson feel to them sometimes.

Reactions: Agalloch

Agalloch

EliteProspects
Sep 18, 2002
Lachute, QC
Visit site
I used to be a big DT fan but in the last few years I just hear that they're releasing a new album and be like "oh they're still doing stuff". They're like a bad parody of themselves these days. Leprous is cool, kinda have a modern King Crimson feel to them sometimes.

Really hard to describe Leprous music but it remains me of ''Pain of Salvation'' too and not at all at the same time if it makes any sense haha.

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com

I saw Hot Water Music and Gaslight Anthem on the same bill in Ottawa in 2012. Two of my favourite bands. They actually played great sets but the sound was so terrible. They played at the CE Centre in Ottawa. I think Rise Against were playing too but I left when it was their turn (I really dislike that band). The venue was pretty much wall-to-wall concrete. The bass was bouncing everywhere in the venue.... it was just the worst sound I've ever hear at a concert. And I've played some crappy places.

Hostile Offer

Jun 17, 2017
Finland
Really hard to describe Leprous music but it remains me of ''Pain of Salvation'' too and not at all at the same time if it makes any sense haha.

Honestly, though, the last time I jammed Leprous was a few years ago but I did like them. Even though I'm not a prog fan anymore that much I should probably listen more to them.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Last DT album sucks.

Can't disagree. My love of prog has waned with Rush retiring and the last DT concert I was at. I liked some of the early DT stuff, but couldn't be bothered now.

Funny, I was going to post about Haken. Heard a couple of tracks and found it interesting but don't know if I've heard their best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad