OT: Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
This gives him the chance to create different songs without associating his solo stuff to Radiohead (I feel like I don't make any sense). As a Radiohead fan, I bought the Eraser back then but it felt like a Radiohead album overall. This new Yorke album is something else. Like really. I'm listening to some songs out of curiosity but I'm really not in the mood to listen to such stuff. As a sidenote, Johnny Greenwood, Radiohead's "lead" guitarist, has also made some solo stuff. He most notably composed There Will Be Blood's soundtrack.

I should say that I didn't like much Radiohead's last album. OK Computer and In Rainbows are my favorites. I've listened to In Rainbows soooooo many times. It's probably the album I've listened the most in the last 10 years. A few other honorable mentions (as any albums/artists):

I honestly believe Yorke's decision to go solo was based on two things:

1. His selfishness (self-admittedly)
2. Tension within the band

I do not buy his "I was bored so I wanted more work" excuse. Especially considering Eraser was largely mooched off RH work and even had cameos in it by the members of the band.

Here's the thing about Thom Yorke - he is an asshole of a human being. He doesn't even try to hide from that fact. Magically, however, all of that melts away once he's on the stage. Nothing matters about him then, not to me at least.

Lastly, on your remark on A Moon Shaped Pool... I disagree, it's up there with the very best. As most RH albums the entry price is high. This is not the type of music you get into immediately as a newcomer. The band doesn't have to apologize for that, it's been long enough. I think Daydreaming track from this set has some of the best sound synthesis ever heard anywhere.

P.S. Can't argue with IR and OKC being picked by you as your favorites. Both are sick. I belong to a minority of RH fans that prefers Hail to the Thief to both marginally.

Reactions: ArtPeur

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I must say I didn't know the personal part about Yorke but then, same could be said about the vast majority of musicians. I don't really care about their character.

Dave Grohl seems cool though

Reactions: GoodKiwi

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I have family members who are really hooked on Radiohead. I've never followed the band all that closely, so it eluded me that Yorke had a solo project going.

The band continues to have a strong following, I wonder what caused him to do fly solo.

Thanks for posting the song.

Fake Plastic Trees is one of my alltime favorite songs.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Fake Plastic Trees is one of my alltime favorite songs.
As it is mine. Just as any of the ones below are, and, I'm sure, I forgot to mention several more. :laugh:

Punch Up at a Wedding (I was one of only a few hundred of people in Atlanta that got to hear it performed live in such an intimate setting)
Pyramid Song (a song that no one has ever heard about)
Nude
Airbag
Paranoid Android (first RH song I've ever heard live)
Like Spinning Plates (do you know what this track is?)
2 + 2 = 5
15 Step (probably the best opening track of any album of theirs, people were burning down villages as it debuted. I wish I wore a diaper to that concert.)
Let Down
Daydreaming
How To Disappear Completely
Reckoner
Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
There There
Exit Music (For A Film)
Karma Police (d'oh)
Lotus Flower (best RH video ever IMO)

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I also wanted to mention one more RH song. I can't say I like it all that much. It's as hardcore as it gets when it comes to their sound. Does anyone here like "Bloom"?

I like the vocals and the sound separately, but together it's just too much for me to handle.

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
As it is mine. Just as any of the ones below are, and, I'm sure, I forgot to mention several more. :laugh:

Punch Up at a Wedding (I was one of only a few hundred of people in Atlanta that got to hear it performed live in such an intimate setting)
Nude
Airbag
2 + 2 = 5
15 Step (probably the best opening track of any album of theirs, people were burning down villages as it debuted. I wish I wore a diaper to that concert.)
Let Down
Daydreaming
Reckoner
Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
There There
Exit Music (For A Film)
Karma Police (d'oh)

I would add:

I Might Be Wrong
Knives Out
Street Spirit (d'oh, eh?)
I Will (especially the LA version from their B.Sides/aka Com Lag) (I can't find it on youtube :( )
No Surprises
Optimistic

Honestly, Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief may come close 3rd after IR and OK

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I would add:

I Might Be Wrong
Knives Out
Street Spirit (d'oh, eh?)
I Will (especially the LA version from their B.Sides/aka Com Lag) (I can't find it on youtube :( )
No Surprises
Optimistic

Honestly, Amnesiac and Hail to the Thief may come close 3rd after IR and OK
I'm totally there with you on the first 3 in the list.

To my shame I don't recall the "I Will" version you're talking about. Will dig it up momentarily though.

I do not like No Surprises at all, but, hey, at least you didn't mention Creep. :laugh:

Optimistic is alright, but not in the upper echelon of their stuff, at least not for me.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
I'm stuck on "15 step" still.

I remember that performance in Copenhagen. It was the very first time they played some of the tracks that went into IR. That was before the album was released. They opened with the song I mentioned above. Right around the 150 second mark of it, it went berserk. No one, and I mean, no one, expected that. The place went totally nuts. People were throwing their lit candled on the floor and stomping on them. :laugh:

Truly unforgettable experience.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
@GoodKiwi

Took me some time to make it into a vid and upload it haha

Welp. It may be off already, I just got emailed by a copyright claim :(

Yeah, Google seemingly does not sleep. :(

Spotify doesn't have the version you're referring to. It's proving to be troublesome to locate.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Nearly 23 years of listening to the band and this is the first time I've heard this version of one of their songs!

Thank you @ArtPeur !

Last edited:

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018

Nude
Airbag
2 + 2 = 5
Let Down
Daydreaming
Reckoner
Weird Fishes/Arpeggi
There There
Exit Music (For A Film)
Karma Police (d'oh)

Unfortunately, I haven't seen them live. Are/were they great live?

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010
I don't like Jinjer though haha (or similar bands)

A small list of bands that I like (the ones I most listen to when I'm in my car or at home):

Agalloch, Amon Amarth, Arcturus, Dethklok (music from the Metalocalypse cartoon), Einherjer, Falkenbach, Hypocrisy, Korpiklaani (hey, it's some happy metal), Megadeth (mostly Rust In Peace), Metallica (mostly Kill 'em All and their last one), Obtenebris (a Canadian band that disbanded), Opeth, Týr, Unleash the Archers (a Canadian band but only the album Time Stands Still), Vintersorg, Windir (+ Vreid and Cor Scorpii who have ex-members of Windir)

Mind you, they are mostly black/death metal with a touch of folk or progressive and with some heavy/long melodic parts. A bit like this:

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I don't like Jinjer though haha (or similar bands)

A small list of bands that I like (the ones I most listen to when I'm in my car or at home):

Agalloch, Amon Amarth, Arcturus, Dethklok (music from the Metalocalypse cartoon), Einherjer, Falkenbach, Hypocrisy, Korpiklaani (hey, it's some happy metal), Megadeth (mostly Rust In Peace), Metallica (mostly Kill 'em All and their last one), Obtenebris (a Canadian band that disbanded), Opeth, Týr, Unleash the Archers (a Canadian band but only the album Time Stands Still), Vintersorg, Windir (+ Vreid and Cor Scorpii who have ex-members of Windir)

Mind you, they are mostly black/death metal with a touch of folk or progressive and with some heavy/long melodic parts. A bit like this:

giphy.gif

ArtPeur

Have a Snickers
Mar 30, 2010

I've seen them live a few times. Once they were headlining with Alestorm but they were the last band to play (I believe it was at the Spectrum). Once Alestorm left and Týr started their set, we were about 30 left in front of the stage. Feelsbadman

btw. If anyone wonders why I post too much in this thread:

eDz1RPO.jpg

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Prog. rock classic reprised by Jordan Rudess of Dream Theater and featuring guitar wiz Marco Sfogli.

Dance on a Volcano like you've heard it before:

Lots of sweet spots in this one, stay with it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->