OT: Music Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
he has set p. much every trend in rap music for the past decade and he is probably one of the top producers in the genre's history

his early production work on albums like Jay-Z's blueprint and kanye's college dropout brought back soul samples in rap music

late registration was college dropout w/ orchestral elements added

graduation was what brought on that huge wave of dancey electric poppy rap music

808s and heartbreaks is basically why drake, kid cudi, etc. exist

mbdtf is one of the greatest albums of all time, period. people have written books about it.

yeezus is like a poppy death grips album. lots of popular recent rap/hip hop songs have been a lot less "clean" and more gritty.

also he didnt set the price on that shirt, the company selling it did. it was just part of a line of clothing he designed for them. one of the main issues w/ kanye haters is that they just repeat all the popular memes about him instead of doing any kind of research into them which is how statements like "kanye talks about materialism in his songs then sells white t-shirts for 120 dollars a pop" get propagated

kanye's a better producer than eminem. definitely a better musician.

i think em runs circles around him as a rapper though.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
kanye's a better producer than eminem. definitely a better musician.

i think em runs circles around him as a rapper though.

kanye's actual rapping isn't technically outstanding, no

he definitely knows how to make a good song though, and the whole package is what is important

every kanye album is v v good

eminem has mmlp, sslp, and parts of the eminem show of vv good and then a bunch of reaaaaaaaaaaally ****-tier music

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
kanye's actual rapping isn't technically outstanding, no

he definitely knows how to make a good song though, and the whole package is what is important

every kanye album is v v good

eminem has mmlp, sslp, and parts of the eminem show of vv good and then a bunch of reaaaaaaaaaaally ****-tier music

MMLP2 and the new stuff from Shady XV is fantastic. You're selling Eminem Show short as well. Recovery wasn't that bad and neither was Relapse. They were both just okay.

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
MMLP2 and the new stuff from Shady XV is fantastic. You're selling Eminem Show short as well. Recovery wasn't that bad and neither was Relapse. They were both just okay.

i disagree i tried to like mmlp2 and shady xv but there just isn't enough there that i like

it is all technically good rapping, but it just feels like eminem just kind of tosses a random "shocking" verse onto whatever beat instead of making a cohesive song like he used to

alot of the verses seem completely interchangeable i guess i dunno

not for me... songs i like off those albums:

mmlp2: bad guy, love game (because kendricks verse), brainless, rap god
recovery: cold wind blows, no love
relapse: beautiful
shady xv: ...eh

songs i like off others:

mmlp: all of it, especially kill you, criminal, and kim

sslp: all of it, rock bottom is my favorite eminem song. 97 bonnie and clyde is also v good and so is if i had.

eminem show: till i collapse, cleanin out my closet, white america, without me (for nostalgia), business, say what you want, and drips (because lol)

encore: like toy soldiers, mockingbird, encore/curtains down

also his verse on forgot about dre is the best thing he did in his career

Jerkob Slavin

Likable Jerk
Mar 8, 2012
Monroe, NC
I am more into prog rock and prog metal, but also listen to jazz and classical. As a guitar player, it's all about the musicianship for me.

1) Opeth
2) Rush
3) Ben Folds / Ben Folds Five
4) Led Zeppelin
5) Black Sabbath
6) Carcass
7) Megadeth
8) OLD Metallica ("...And Justice for All" and before)

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
also he didnt set the price on that shirt, the company selling it did. it was just part of a line of clothing he designed for them. one of the main issues w/ kanye haters is that they just repeat all the popular memes about him instead of doing any kind of research into them which is how statements like "kanye talks about materialism in his songs then sells white t-shirts for 120 dollars a pop" get propagated

It's not about materialism. It's about him being silly. He is a silly man. That's why so many people make jokes about him. Not because they are haters. He is just lacks self-awareness and it's funny.

Which in and of itself isn't a big deal. Where it hurts his art, in my opinion, is when social issues show up in a lot of his music. It's hard to listen to any person with that little self-awareness speak on the nature of the world. Which is why I contrasted him with Tupac, who was terrifyingly self-aware of himself and the world he lived in.

What appears to be Kanye's saving grace is his musical ability. Because without him, we wouldn't have dancy electric pop rap, Drake, or Kid Cudi, and then where would we be?

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
It's not about materialism. It's about him being silly. He is a silly man. That's why so many people make jokes about him. Not because they are haters. He is just lacks self-awareness and it's funny.

Which in and of itself isn't a big deal. Where it hurts his art, in my opinion, is when social issues show up in a lot of his music. It's hard to listen to any person with that little self-awareness speak on the nature of the world. Which is why I contrasted him with Tupac, who was terrifyingly self-aware of himself and the world he lived in.

What appears to be Kanye's saving grace is his musical ability. Because without him, we wouldn't have dancy electric pop rap, Drake, or Kid Cudi, and then where would we be?

i completely disagree with you about his level of self-awareness

nobuddy

Oct 13, 2010
Nowhere
i disagree i tried to like mmlp2 and shady xv but there just isn't enough there that i like

it is all technically good rapping, but it just feels like eminem just kind of tosses a random "shocking" verse onto whatever beat instead of making a cohesive song like he used to

alot of the verses seem completely interchangeable i guess i dunno

not for me... songs i like off those albums:

mmlp2: bad guy, love game (because kendricks verse), brainless, rap god
recovery: cold wind blows, no love
relapse: beautiful
shady xv: ...eh

songs i like off others:

mmlp: all of it, especially kill you, criminal, and kim

sslp: all of it, rock bottom is my favorite eminem song. 97 bonnie and clyde is also v good and so is if i had.

eminem show: till i collapse, cleanin out my closet, white america, without me (for nostalgia), business, say what you want, and drips (because lol)

encore: like toy soldiers, mockingbird, encore/curtains down

also his verse on forgot about dre is the best thing he did in his career

Also off encore I think Mosh and We As Americans are indisputably good.

Reactions: Identity404

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
I got a sound bar for Christmas. It's a mid-range one; it normally retails for $450, but my whole family went in on it and got it for about 25% off.

Ho. Ly. Crap.

My days of not being an audiophile are over. I am currently re-downloading all of downloads and will be re-ripping my CDs shortly (assuming I can find them). Must get the highest bitrates available. Some of the files are 10 years old, are a measly 128 kpbs, and have been clipped two or three times in an attempt to level out the volume in them. That just won't do.

TV, movies, and sports sound pretty awesome on it too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad