OT: Music Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GooGooMuck

May 15, 2009
Lancaster, PA
I own a record store so I can vouch for the fact that music sales have come to a grinding halt. We stopped carrying CDs last year and are now vinyl only, but it's not like it used to be. Thank God people still buy T-Shirts! Anyway, here's a song from my favorite album of the year.<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LZADUQ5Cpfg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Reactions: Identity404

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
I own a record store so I can vouch for the fact that music sales have come to a grinding halt. We stopped carrying CDs last year and are now vinyl only, but it's not like it used to be. Thank God people still buy T-Shirts! Anyway, here's a song from my favorite album of the year.<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LZADUQ5Cpfg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

fixed

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Was forced to listen to 70's and 80's classic rock and hated it then. Loved the 80's hard rock with van halen and dokken when I was 12-15. Then went "college radio" with obsessive 80's only rem and U2. Transitioned into mid 80's through early 90's with whatever indie alternative and eventually shoegazey is actually called. Pixies, replacements, pavement, Matthew sweet, mbv, chapterhouse, ride, curve, Catherine wheel., pumpkins (Gish, drown, Siamese Dream), Then jeff Buckley, then radiohead. Then I got older and confused about it all.

Now it's all the above with occasional new bands coming and going. I love frightened rabbit, blitzen trapper had a couple of great records. Cold War kids first couple. I listen to flaws by Bastille every day right now, otherwise I'm indifferent to them. Great Lake swimmers, bon iver, band of horses, whisky town, older wilco, shins.

Now I love all the classic rock I grew up hating. I actually occasionally listen to the country stuff and don't mind it.

I've moved to the country a bit up here in northern colorado, it's made an impact that way.

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I'm still bigtime into the 90s indie and shooegaze stuff that Bleed's talking about, as well as early U2 and REM.

Since then mostly things have been hit or miss: Sigur Ros, Of Monsters and Men, Muse (aside from the past 2 albums), Metric, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Wilco, Modest Mouse, Black Keys, Phoenix, and Daft Punk have been getting a lot of play for me. Sadly the radio stations I was listening to the most for exposure to new music have gone to **** or can't be accessed online anymore so it's killing exposure to some good stuff that might be out there.

Also a big fan of jazz and I'm a classically trained musician, mostly into later 19th century and early 20th century works (especially Russian and some other Slavic composers) and I'm actually good friends with a couple notable current winds composers.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
I'm reluctant to address this because I feel like it's easier/shorter to list what I don't like rather than what I do. Offhand, what I don't like:

• Modern Country
  • Lite Rock (The Eagles, for instance)
  • SOME contemporary rap acts (Nicki Minaj, Drake, Kanye West)

Maybe the best thing to do would be to list 10 bands that I most frequently listen to, in no particular order:

• Foo Fighters
  • Portishead
  • Morphine
  • U2 (esp. Joshua Tree era)
  • Squirrel Nut Zippers
  • Ben Folds Five
  • Smashing Pumpkins
  • Outkast
  • Red Hot Chili Peppers
  • Stevie Ray Vaughan

Genre wise, I do love good rap, hot jazz, swing, bop, bluegrass, blues, metal, nu metal, alt rock, Turkish, Cajun, and Quebecois traditional, conjunto...just about a little bit of everything.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA
album-faster-than-the-speed-of-night.jpg

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
I'm reluctant to address this because I feel like it's easier/shorter to list what I don't like rather than what I do. Offhand, what I don't like:

• Modern Country
  • Lite Rock (The Eagles, for instance)
  • SOME contemporary rap acts (Nicki Minaj, Drake, Kanye West)

Maybe the best thing to do would be to list 10 bands that I most frequently listen to, in no particular order:

• Foo Fighters
  • Portishead
  • Morphine
  • U2 (esp. Joshua Tree era)
  • Squirrel Nut Zippers
  • Ben Folds Five
  • Smashing Pumpkins
  • Outkast
  • Red Hot Chili Peppers
  • Stevie Ray Vaughan

Genre wise, I do love good rap, hot jazz, swing, bop, bluegrass, blues, metal, nu metal, alt rock, Turkish, Cajun, and Quebecois traditional, conjunto...just about a little bit of everything.

kanye west and drake are both GOAT so i think you might be broken

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
I've never understood Kanye's appeal. Are we sure he's really a genius musician, and that it's not just an excellent marketing job of repeating "he's a genius" enough that regular people start repeating it?

Maybe listening to a guy doing low brow social commentary while selling $120 tshirts is tough to take seriously if you're old enough to remember Tupac?

Identity404

I'm not superstitious, but I am a little stitious
Nov 5, 2005
Washington DC
easily kanye

i dont even really see how there is a debate between the 2

I was on youtube the other week watching some old rap videos, Tupac, Biggie, Bone Thugs, etc. I found the general theme of the youtube comments for all the videos to be people arguing why eminem is the GOAT.

You know the type of people who write youtube comments...

the halleJOKEL

strong as brickwall
Jul 21, 2006
twitter.com
I've never understood Kanye's appeal. Are we sure he's really a genius musician, and that it's not just an excellent marketing job of repeating "he's a genius" enough that regular people start repeating it?

Maybe listening to a guy doing low brow social commentary while selling $120 tshirts is tough to take seriously if you're old enough to remember Tupac?

he has set p. much every trend in rap music for the past decade and he is probably one of the top producers in the genre's history

his early production work on albums like Jay-Z's blueprint and kanye's college dropout brought back soul samples in rap music

late registration was college dropout w/ orchestral elements added

graduation was what brought on that huge wave of dancey electric poppy rap music

808s and heartbreaks is basically why drake, kid cudi, etc. exist

mbdtf is one of the greatest albums of all time, period. people have written books about it.

yeezus is like a poppy death grips album. lots of popular recent rap/hip hop songs have been a lot less "clean" and more gritty.

also he didnt set the price on that shirt, the company selling it did. it was just part of a line of clothing he designed for them. one of the main issues w/ kanye haters is that they just repeat all the popular memes about him instead of doing any kind of research into them which is how statements like "kanye talks about materialism in his songs then sells white t-shirts for 120 dollars a pop" get propagated

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->