OT: Music Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
LOL I forgot about Firehouse, I think I used to have all their albums circa 1995 or so

They hit it big right when that hair-metal/power ballad phase was fading out for grunge music, just a little late but enough to get their 15 minutes in.

Crazy enough it looks like they are on tour right now.

ndp

Hurricanes Pessimist
Oct 29, 2015
If any of you are Jazz fans, I just got my Blue Note reissue of Jimmy Smith Back At The Chicken Shack LP in the mail today and it sounds absolutely fabulous.

I've also been spinning my recently purchased Meters, Struttin LP.

Reactions: emptyNedder

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
If you only heard the audio and didn’t know him, you’d never believe that voice came out of that guy. Not who I pictured at all. Amazing.
Right?! A buddy of mine told me to give him a listen a while back. After listening to Imaginary Appalachia about three times on repeat I googled the dude, saw a picture and immediately sent my friend a message asking how a dude who looks like a hick version of Ed Sheeran could sing like that.

OakCityWildcat

Aug 3, 2020

Neat fact about Wall, his father, Brad Wall, was the Premier of Saskatchewan from 2007 until 2018. I stumbled upon Wall sometime back in 2018 and have been an avid listener of his since. Such an amazing voice, especially from a 26 year old! If y'all haven't already, definitely give his cover of Fraulein a listen -- it's a duet with Tyler Childers, who has a starkly different voice than Wall, but the way the two use their contrasting voices is simply fantastic. Then don't even get me started on Wall's cover of Big Iron... dare I say, it's better than the original by Marty Robbins.

If y'all are fans of the type of music Wall sings, whether you want to call it Americana, Alt-County, or Bluegrass, a few other similar artist y'all should give a listen to are Tyler Childers, Justin Townes Earle (son of Steve Earle; unfortunately, Justin passed away about a year ago), Sturgill Simpson (a bit more mainstream, but his recent bluegrass albums are a treasure), and Vincent Neil Emerson (who Wall has two songs with, Road Runner by Vincent Neil Emerson and Diamond Joe by Wall). Oh, and the obligatory Old Crow Medicine Show! Who if you ever have a chance to see in person, you certainly should. Easily the best live concert I've attended -- even beating out The Eagles!

I know y'all didn't ask for any of this, but I get excited when I see other folks interested in Colter Wall and his type of music, haha. Sorry!

Surrounded By Ahos

Las Vegas Desert Ducks Official Team Poster
Sponsor
May 24, 2008
Koko Miami
If y'all are fans of the type of music Wall sings, whether you want to call it Americana, Alt-County, or Bluegrass, a few other similar artist y'all should give a listen to are Tyler Childers, Justin Townes Earle (son of Steve Earle; unfortunately, Justin passed away about a year ago), Sturgill Simpson (a bit more mainstream, but his recent bluegrass albums are a treasure), and Vincent Neil Emerson (who Wall has two songs with, Road Runner by Vincent Neil Emerson and Diamond Joe by Wall). Oh, and the obligatory Old Crow Medicine Show! Who if you ever have a chance to see in person, you certainly should. Easily the best live concert I've attended -- even beating out The Eagles!
I'm familiar with Simpson and OCMS, but I don't know the others, so I'll have to check them out. That kind of stuff is my jam. I've spent more time listening to people like The Avett Brothers, Trampled by Turtles, and Will Hoge than I should admit.

The Avett new years show in 2014 at PNC is easily my favorite concert I've attended. I was over the moon when they released it as a live album.

Reactions: bleedgreen

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Neat fact about Wall, his father, Brad Wall, was the Premier of Saskatchewan from 2007 until 2018. I stumbled upon Wall sometime back in 2018 and have been an avid listener of his since. Such an amazing voice, especially from a 26 year old! If y'all haven't already, definitely give his cover of Fraulein a listen -- it's a duet with Tyler Childers, who has a starkly different voice than Wall, but the way the two use their contrasting voices is simply fantastic. Then don't even get me started on Wall's cover of Big Iron... dare I say, it's better than the original by Marty Robbins.

I know y'all didn't ask for any of this, but I get excited when I see other folks interested in Colter Wall and his type of music, haha. Sorry!
Thanks for all that! I’m already into Sturgill Simpson but I’ll check out those others too. I was at work and I wandered past part of my station where someone was listening to Wall, immediately circled back and needed to know what it was. That was a year or two ago. I dl’d a bunch of his work but hadn’t really had the time to delve into it. Then earlier this past spring I went on a few dates with this girl who lives up north in Fort Collins where I used to live (different vibe up there, lots of this music), we had known each other before but didn’t date then. She’s younger and trying to make it as an “Americana” artist, she’s actually really good. We sat on her porch with her dog and a laptop trading YouTube videos of what we’re listening to and she’s the one that showed me the one above and I’ve been hooked since. The songs just follow you around. I could sit and watch videos of him playing that way all day. Just raw talent.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I'm familiar with Simpson and OCMS, but I don't know the others, so I'll have to check them out. That kind of stuff is my jam. I've spent more time listening to people like The Avett Brothers, Trampled by Turtles, and Will Hoge than I should admit.

The Avett new years show in 2014 at PNC is easily my favorite concert I've attended. I was over the moon when they released it as a live album.
I get “Paranoia in B Major” stuck in my head from time to time.

Reactions: Surrounded By Ahos
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad