OT: Music Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
So I will instead recommend y'all Thor: Hammer of the Gods, the 2009 film with Tim "the Toolman" Taylor's oldest son as the eponymous Thor.

9344256007934.jpg

The film does absolutely nothing to your life, and so is an *chuckle* improvement.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
Saw the Smashing Pumpkins and Courtney Love was a special guest. I know this will come as a complete shock to everyone but she was pilled/drugged/drunk out of her mind.

In other news I got a ticket to see legendary punk band The Queers play on a boat going down the East River into New York Harbor next month.
That's pretty crazy since Billy Corgan and Courtney Love dated (and feuded) at one point.

As for the thread:

If anyone has ever seen The Departed, they've heard this song. Roy Buchanan is probably one of the greatest guitarists most people have never heard of.

sabremike

Dr. K Forever!!!
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
If you want to see the Smashing Pumpkins/Courtney Love thing video is on YouTube, just search "Smashing Pumpkins PNC Bank Arts Center". The "highlight" of their performance of "Bullet With The Butterfly Wings" was Love, there is really no delicate way to put this, getting on her knees and pretending to perform oral sex on Billy. Yup, she was totally f***ed up.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
If you want to see the Smashing Pumpkins/Courtney Love thing video is on YouTube, just search "Smashing Pumpkins PNC Bank Arts Center". The "highlight" of their performance of "Bullet With The Butterfly Wings" was Love, there is really no delicate way to put this, getting on her knees and pretending to perform oral sex on Billy. Yup, she was totally ****ed up.

No I've learned from movies it's a legit thing to up the difficulty level. Did someone also have a gun aimed at Billy's head?
tumblr_mjvmlgmMfZ1qa9pg6o2_500.gif

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
That's pretty crazy since Billy Corgan and Courtney Love dated (and feuded) at one point.

As for the thread:

If anyone has ever seen The Departed, they've heard this song. Roy Buchanan is probably one of the greatest guitarists most people have never heard of.

I have heard and seen on different message boards that Billy Corgan is a massive *******. Doesn't surprise me to learn that he and Courtney Love dated, sounds like a match made in heaven.

Whether they are right or wrong I don't know but I have always liked this tune.

You have to wonder how different music history would have been had Love chosen to stick with Corgan over Cobain in that particular love triangle. That said I know they at least professionally made up not too terribly long after since Love gave her blessings to Melissa Auf der Maur leaving Hole to join the Pumpkins after D'arcy left/got fired.

As for Corgan himself, I've also heard the same about him being an utter dick. At the same time, though, you kind of have to appreciate the vision of putting out Melon Collie as a double album and, in an era where music videos were still an important thing, the Pumpkins usually did an amazing job working with directors to translate their vision of songs to that format - Tonight, Tonight, Bullet with Butterfly Wings, 1979, Perfect, Ava Adore, and Stand Inside Your Love were all great pieces by their own rights for various reasons. Also, even though it crashed and burned, his ultimate thought of what Zwan should be is something you didn't see much of in music then or even now - in his mind Zwan would record/tour as two "separate" bands - Zwan would be electric pop rock/power pop while there'd also be Djali Zwan, which would be an acoustic, more traditionalist band and would bring in Paz Lenchantin's sister, Ana.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
The story I've heard is that Corgan is always pissed off with the audience. They're either not loud enough and/or don't want to hear obscure stuff he might want to perform. He's also apparently a douche to the venue employees and road crew.

Then again, I've heard the same thing about Adam Duritz of The Counting Crows and I've been a fan of them since I was about 8.

I guess if I had to go on the road a lot and perform for stoner drunks I'd start to become a douche too. Fame and fortune aside eventually it's got to get tiring even for the most passionate of musicians.

Or maybe I'm just talking out of my ass and I'm completely wrong about touring, I don't know. :dunno:

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
I forget what year it was (maybe 2000?) but after Smashing Pumpkins broke up for a bit, I camped out overnight at Schoolkids on Hillsborough St in Raleigh with my gf at the time for tickets to a Billy Corgan acoustic set at Cats Cradle.

scored a ticket, people in line were reselling them for hundreds of dollars, but out of desire to score points with my gf I went to the show despite having kinda grown out of that whole post grunge thing.

the show was whatever, intimate in a way but crowd was densely populated with douchebros. for the most part Billy wasn't so bad on stage. but I DID get to witness some of the asshole-to-venue-and-road-people behavior mentioned here. I was still relatively young so I didn't really know yet where I actually stack that behavior among what matters about how to feel about an artist (30-something update: I value not being a dick to people who help put on your show quite high actually except in extreme circumstances) but I was definitely rattled a bit by his dickishness. I chalked it up to "troubled genius" stereotypes at the time but bla bla bla.

he definitely has one of the most enormous heads I've ever seen. both literally and figuratively.

sabremike

Dr. K Forever!!!
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Tonight, Tonight was used in what I think is the greatest pregame in arena video I have ever seen in the 2015 playoffs at the Coliseum featuring all the great moments in Isles history. Just incredibly powerful and moving, the only one even close was a similar one the Mets did in 2015 that always left me misty eyed (particularly after hearing the Bob Murphy 86 WS calls. The 86 Mets were the only team I root for in the big 4 sports who gave me a championship).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->