OT: Music Sharing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samus44

Enjoy the ride.
Aug 5, 2010
Impressed by the amount and range of good music on here, no Bieber, K.Perry, or T.Swift to be found. :)

To the guy who posted Nancy Sinatra - Bang Bang, Paolo Nutini does a great version.

St.Vincent is amazing and even better live and in person.

Here's a great tune i've been enjoying lately by the beautiful Lisa Hannigan:

and another great song with this one courtesy Father John Misty:

and since i mentioned him, here's a Paolo Nutini song:

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
man lately I've really been into Rush, especially their work from the 90's. Imho their stuff from the 90's/00's doesn't get the recognition it should get.

'93

'97

'02

Reactions: ujju2

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Just to 2nd an earlier posters comments that there are a lot of varied and interesting musical tastes and songs listed here.

But I'll add to that its MUCH different list from that commonly played at Rexall and where Maroon 5 "Animals" is played every game. Gawd everytime that song plays I want to plug my eardrums. Just awful shrill sound and every damn game. Not one hockey fan I've ever met would choose that as their favorite hockey song.

Next, the goal song. I think when a song is selected some thought might go into how tiring the song starts to be after a couple hundred times. They also play it in rotation and in shootouts. The clip is repetitive so that it has the effect of a dental drill placed in your ear being revved on and off.

Some of these songs sound like a shrill gopher at the business end of a high speed drill...

No groundhogs were harmed in the making of this post..

I'll be completely honest as well. One of the deterrents to actually going to games is the absolute dreck songs they play at Rexall. Still easily the worst music any rink plays.

Alternately above is a post saluting the great Canadian band Rush which ironically any US rink plays a variety of their catalog and in Canada rinks don't.. At Rexall you're likely to hear "Tom Sawyer" if anything and little else. When much of Rush music is quintessential suited for hockey fans demographic music.

Last edited:

yukoner88

Dec 16, 2009
Dawson City, YT
So the front man from Immortal (Abbath) has recently released a new album, and I heard a song from it from it a couple days

this is just.....:bow::yo:

Hippasus

Feb 17, 2008
Bridgeview
Thought I'd bump this with some goodies from the 80's.

A few of my personal favourites at the time. Your welcome. :laugh: :yo::yo:
Celtic Frost is different from the rest of your videos there. They had an excellent drummer and vocalist + guitarist. I like Hellhammer a bit more, but Celtic Frost are still the ****. What was your opinion of them at the time? I think they were very different from most bands and very original.

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Killer Jam from 1974, legendary Lou Reed in Paris show. Sweet Jane. Accompanied by superb musicians including smoking bass from Prakash John of Toronto one of the most sought after session musicians. (Welcome to My Nightmare (Alice Cooper), Only come out at night(Edgar Winter), etc)

ps most people like the intro more than the Lou Reed rendition. Turn off at 3:50 if you want. But that intro is of the type of jam you just don't hear anymore. Funk, riffs, crunching interplay.

ps Trivia. Prakash John and the Lincolns played at Wayne Gretzkys wedding.

Last edited:

undertow

Sep 26, 2007
Graveyard is a great example of the amazing rock coming out of europe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HmMy2ubC7E

theres a great utube channel that post full albums called Stoned Meadow of Doom. 3 or 4 albums a week easy on his 2 channels. mostly stoner, doom, desert rock. lots of good stuff there if you are a music junkie.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
I've been listening to Bad Sports lately, they sound a lot like Ramones and The Clash (other 70s rock/punk) despite being released 2009+

what other bands recreated a style that was decades old?

Husker Du

Sponsor
Mar 18, 2012
Edmonton
I've been listening to Bad Sports lately, they sound a lot like Ramones and The Clash (other 70s rock/punk) despite being released 2009+

what other bands recreated a style that was decades old?

If you like psych/modern garage (e.g. Thee Oh Sees)/prog, King Gizzard and The Lizard Wizard are fantastic!

They just released Nonagon Infinity

and try....

Last edited:

McPuritania

LucicDestroyedHaley
May 25, 2010
Toussaint
Guess I'll start tossing stuff around in here.

Might as well start off with a genre I don't listen to almost at all.

First heard this tune playing GTA5. Not a big fan of the stations in this GTA, but there are a few gems there to be had.

Pretty good lineup I must say. Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash.

Husker Du

Sponsor
Mar 18, 2012
Edmonton
you:
:teach:
wow thats a lot of content, whats the cream of the crop?

Tough to answer, nonagon infinity is an infinite loop (album starts and ends in the same song) and each song is connected.

First 4 songs on I'm in your mind fuzz are what got me hooked, so probably a good place to start.

McTrashBoat

Show me the deed
Nov 28, 2014
Tough to answer, nonagon infinity is an infinite loop (album starts and ends in the same song) and each song is connected.

First 4 songs on I'm in your mind fuzz are what got me hooked, so probably a good place to start.

i hope i can say this without offense, but i played that first video and it was just chill around here for the whole thing :)

Husker Du

Sponsor
Mar 18, 2012
Edmonton
i hope i can say this without offense, but i played that first video and it was just chill around here for the whole thing :)

Did the album work for you?

I enjoyed the song you posted, I've been listening to a lot of 70's proto-punk recently and that song is right in my wheelhouse.

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Did the album work for you?

I enjoyed the song you posted, I've been listening to a lot of 70's proto-punk recently and that song is right in my wheelhouse.

Just out of curiosity what specific bands are you listening to because proto-punk is a revisionist non entity term that didn't exist. Its a backwards looking spin on things.

Thing is you can take almost any Rock band from the 60's 70's and find something that can sound punk and especially if you have access to stripped down, or preliminary tracks and can speed it up.

Sorry, but terms like "proto punk" do disservice to great bands and music that deserve better than to be categorized in some catch all bin that never existed in the first place.

Husker Du

Sponsor
Mar 18, 2012
Edmonton
Just out of curiosity what specific bands are you listening to because proto-punk is a revisionist non entity term that didn't exist. Its a backwards looking spin on things.

Thing is you can take almost any Rock band from the 60's 70's and find something that can sound punk and especially if you have access to stripped down, or preliminary tracks and can speed it up.

Sorry, but terms like "proto punk" do disservice to great bands and music that deserve better than to be categorized in some catch all bin that never existed in the first place.

I know where you are coming from, but I don't necessarily agree that the term "proto punk" does a disservice. You are correct that the term is posthumous, but it is important, imo, that the term not be defined as "something that can sound punk" rather define "proto punk" as music that influenced punk and was cited by punk bands as their influence.

Some examples of bands that I listen to that are generally considered proto punk:

Garage influence:
Sonics
Monks
Kinks
MC5
Stooges

Glam/prog influence:
Hawkwind
Roxy Music
King Crimson
T-Rex
New York Dolls

Other influence:
Television
Modern Lovers (my personal fave)
Alice Cooper (the band not the solo singer, imo)
Richard Hell/Voidoids
Velvet Underground and Lou Reed

Last edited:

Replacement*

Checked out
Apr 15, 2005
Hiking
Its a fascinating sidebar discussion, and I'm very familiar with it and lived through it.

The trouble is a posthumous look back actually redefines history, it redefines what actually occurred and typically by selectively latching on to some influences, while ignoring others that in the test of time have proved less popular. Or have been associated with other things.

Don't get me wrong either, I love the acts you listed there. But theres some very obscure ones that get recognized retroactively, that were more unknowns while music was unfolding. For them to be influential, they have to be heard, exposed, to wider audiences to be that influence.

So in that line Black Sabbath elicited speed metal. A band like Queen did a spin on that and a tune like Stone Cold Crazy inspired speed metal, possibly punk, etc. Listen to the tune. Any Punk band could play that cover and the crowd goes wild. Similarly MC5 kick out the Jams. But even a band like that needed a lot of help to get exposed. Needed gigs with bands like Alice Cooper, Blue Oyster Cult to get recognized, and BOC PLAYED MC5 songs and had them on their gigs because BOC loved punk and were precursors of it. Alan Lanier of BOC played with Patti Smith, recorded on her albums, married her, she played on BOC albums, wrote tunes. BOC producers went on to formulate punk from Patti Smith, Dictators, to the Clash. With those actually citing BOC.

Trouble is in the sands of time BOC have washed away and become unpopular due to SNL and cowbell mockery.

But that's why I mention that revisiting brings a lot of distortion.

My own take is bands like the Kinks, The Animals, King Krimson, The Who, were so ahead of their time the world had to catch up. Those are some true links though that were well heard and listened to at the time.

But the true godfather imo is Link Wray, with his legendary Rumble. According to Jimmi Page the greatest song ever recorded. That started a lot being that it was 1958. Although that can be a revisionist view as well. :laugh:

Last edited:

Husker Du

Sponsor
Mar 18, 2012
Edmonton
Its a fascinating sidebar discussion, and I'm very familiar with it and lived through it.

The trouble is a posthumous look back actually redefines history, it redefines what actually occurred and typically by selectively latching on to some influences, while ignoring others that in the test of time have proved less popular. Or have been associated with other things.

Don't get me wrong either, I love the acts you listed there. But theres some very obscure ones that get recognized retroactively, that were more unknowns while music was unfolding. For them to be influential, they have to be heard, exposed, to wider audiences to be that influence.

So in that line Black Sabbath elicited speed metal. A band like Queen did a spin on that and a tune like Stone Cold Crazy inspired speed metal, possibly punk, etc. Listen to the tune. Any Punk band could play that cover and the crowd goes wild. Similarly MC5 kick out the Jams. But even a band like that needed a lot of help to get exposed. Needed gigs with bands like Alice Cooper, Blue Oyster Cult to get recognized, and BOC PLAYED MC5 songs and had them on their gigs because BOC loved punk and were precursors of it. Alan Lanier of BOC played with Patti Smith, recorded on her albums, married her, she played on BOC albums, wrote tunes. BOC producers went on to formulate punk from Patti Smith, Dictators, to the Clash. With those actually citing BOC.

Trouble is in the sands of time BOC have washed away and become unpopular due to SNL and cowbell mockery.

But that's why I mention that revisiting brings a lot of distortion.

My own take is bands like the Kinks, The Animals, King Krimson, The Who, were so ahead of their time the world had to catch up. Those are some true links though that were well heard and listened to at the time.

But the true godfather imo is Link Wray, with his legendary Rumble. According to Jimmi Page the greatest song ever recorded. That started a lot being that it was 1958. Although that can be a revisionist view as well. :laugh:

If I read your post correctly I would agree that looking back can distort the reality of what occurred at the time. This is why I think proto punk should be defined as bands that directly influenced (as cited by the bands themselves) the first wave of punk bands in '76 and '77.

BOC is definitely proto punk for the reasons you cited. Patti Smith is great as well. One of my favourite bands growing were the Minutemen (early 80's punk band), they always said that they formed because they wanted to be in a band like BOC.

Not a fan of surf, but absolutely an influence of garage bands of the sixties.

"But theres some very obscure ones that get recognized retroactively, that were more unknowns while music was unfolding. For them to be influential, they have to be heard, exposed, to wider audiences to be that influence. " This could apply to a band like the Modern Lovers, in that they broke up in '72 without releasing an album. In '76 one of their producers put what they had recorded previously out on their only album. While not widely known at the time the modern Lovers certainly influenced the New York Wave of punks in the mid 70's.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
that king gizzard was surprisingly good and just sent me on an hour long youtube adventure, thanks

Husker Du

Sponsor
Mar 18, 2012
Edmonton
that king gizzard was surprisingly good and just sent me on an hour long youtube adventure, thanks

Glad you enjoyed the album. I only found them about a month ago when I was looking into Thee Oh Sees. Really like how original yet familiar they sound. Apparently they are great live. There is a super high quality concert at the Ancienne Belgique on YouTube that is worth checking out as well.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Guess I'll start tossing stuff around in here.

Might as well start off with a genre I don't listen to almost at all.

First heard this tune playing GTA5. Not a big fan of the stations in this GTA, but there are a few gems there to be had.

Pretty good lineup I must say. Willie Nelson, Kris Kristofferson, Waylon Jennings, Johnny Cash.

Fantastic song.

Iced Earth did a pretty sweet heavyed up cover with Jon, Stu, Russell Allen and Michael Poulsen on vocals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->