OT: Music Sharing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Saw him at Ottawa Bluesfest last summer though I've never really gotten into any of his albums. What a stellar live artist. Truely a genre-bending talent.

Saw him at the Jubilee Auditorium a couple years ago on the backs of really great albums. Surprisingly I had no difficulty getting a ticket and for reasonable cost in a great facility to see and hear a show.

Great thing about seeing that Jube show is its a full set vs a festival type limited set.

Been a fan of Beck since Loser. I like pretty off the wall stuff so it works for me but several of his albums work for different people, with different tastes. How many artists can write and play the eclectic stuff he did and still get singled out for special recognition by Johnny Cash?

One of my favorite tracks from Beck;

Reactions: belair

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Here is a question, since I know we have a few guitar players on this board...
who are you top 5 players, and what was the 1 riff that made you want to start plaing?

1.Yngwie J. Malmsteen
2. Randy Rhoads
3. Edward Van Halen
4. Chet Atkins
5. Vito Bratta

(Brad Paisley is up ther as well)

and the riff was Crazy Train.
I don't play but have been a rock guy for my whole life.

My favourites:
Eddie Van Halen
Steve Howe
Joe Satriani
Eric Clapton
Stevie Ray Vaughn

I was alive when Eruption came out. Legendary.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I don't play but have been a rock guy for my whole life.

My favourites:
Eddie Van Halen
Steve Howe
Joe Satriani
Eric Clapton
Stevie Ray Vaughn

I was alive when Eruption came out. Legendary.

Old school....good stuff. :nod: Really enjoy some of the Steve Howe/Yes material.

Back from that era (or a little before) the first few Queen albums (Queen 1, Queen 2 and Sheer Heart Attack) has some solid guitar work form Brian May. Those albums (more so the first 2) are a little more avant-garde than the more commercial stuff that came out after A Day at the Races.

Last edited:

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
on this day, in 1987, we all got RickRolled!
giphy.gif

Reactions: Beerfish

MaxR11

Mar 28, 2017
Oilers should use this as their game intro/player intro song instead of that bleh "Wow" song. Hans Zimmer is a master.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
my daughter is a massive Billie Eilish fan, and played "buried a friend" to me, a couple of months ago, when we went on a road trip...
I looked at her and said, "This is the Doors!"
She actually told me, "NO, if anyone sounds like anyone, then they sound like her"
I then told her "People are Strange" was released in 1967 ....but she seemed oblivious to the fact.

anyway, haven't thought about that conversation with her, until tonight when I heard B.E., and called my daughter down, to play the tracks back to back.....she heard "People are Strange" for the 1st time tonight.
the look of astonishment was priceless. LOL

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Just listened to the new Tool album, and I’ll say slightly underwhelmed. One song sounds like a slightly recycled version of “The Patient,” and overall I’d grade it:

Danny Carey: A - The guy is always amazing.

Justin Chancellor: -B - The guy is always a -B; he has a sound and simply bridges the guitar and drums. He’s a rock, but a -B rock.

Adam Jones: C - a little uninspired for my liking. See above about a recycled version of “The Patient”

Maynard: +D - Hey wine guy, maybe give enough of a shit to not turn this into Puscifer with a Tool cover band. Guy has a killer voice, but mails it in IMO. For all I know Adam Jones and the producers were left using Puscifer tracks and auto tune to supplant Maynard into this album.

Overall grade: C

Reactions: Dorian2

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Just listened to the new Tool album, and I’ll say slightly underwhelmed. One song sounds like a slightly recycled version of “The Patient,” and overall I’d grade it:

Danny Carey: A - The guy is always amazing.

Justin Chancellor: -B - The guy is always a -B; he has a sound and simply bridges the guitar and drums. He’s a rock, but a -B rock.

Adam Jones: C - a little uninspired for my liking. See above about a recycled version of “The Patient”

Maynard: +D - Hey wine guy, maybe give enough of a **** to not turn this into Puscifer with a Tool cover band. Guy has a killer voice, but mails it in IMO. For all I know Adam Jones and the producers were left using Puscifer tracks and auto tune to supplant Maynard into this album.

Overall grade: C

After listening to 7empest, no way I could give Adam Jones a C. That was incredible.

Roof Daddy

Apr 1, 2008
Here is a question, since I know we have a few guitar players on this board...
who are you top 5 players, and what was the 1 riff that made you want to start plaing?

1.Yngwie J. Malmsteen
2. Randy Rhoads
3. Edward Van Halen
4. Chet Atkins
5. Vito Bratta

(Brad Paisley is up ther as well)

and the riff was Crazy Train.

Hopefully you’ll love my list and hate my riff????

Riff that made me want to play: Nirvana - Smells like Teen Spirit. I was 14, never played a guitar in my life, and an old hand me down guitar from my uncle was sitting in a storage shed. Never played one before that video.

As for players, I won’t say this is a comprehensive “best” in my books, just a my personal faves.

1. Mikael Akerfeldt (Opeth): Just an amazing songwriter who writes with every instrument in mind. He’s more proggy now, but started out Metal. Songs to justify: “Ghost of Perdition”; “Blackwater Park”

2. Tosin Abasi (Animals as Leaders): This is currently “the guy” when we’re talking guitar virtuosos. More graceful and blazing on an 8 string than most people are with 6 strings. He attacks the top 2 strings with more of a percussive approach. Songs to justify: “CAFO”; “New Eden”; “The Brain Dance”

3. Dimebag Darrel (Pantera; New Found Power): Guitar players can be ranked on a multitude of angles, but Dime rocks the top on two categories - rock star persona and guitar tone. In terms of tone, he’s basically SRV 15-20 years later. In terms of rock star persona, this man is the single leading cause of liver disease in North America. First time I saw Pantera live I’m thinking “shit, their videos are no joke, the entire crew is drinking Crown straight from the bottle.” Songs to justify: “Floods”; “Cemetery Gates”

4. Paul Waggoner (Between the Buried and Me): probably my most favourite band right now. They can just capture any type of sound, but everything starts with the vision of this man. When not being recruited by Lamb of God to fill in for Mark Morton, this guy is whipping up a fine blend of dark, dissonant intros, thumping rhythms, and jazz infused lead work. Amazing guitar player. Songs to justify: “White Walls”; “Extremophile Elite”

5. Chris Cornell. If you want to learn some campfire tunes that will blow people away (assuming you can hit the high notes vocally), this man provided many an anthem... and they’re usually songs with some interesting chord figures. Songs to justify: “Sunshower”; “Like a Stone”

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Great write ups both on the new Tool album and your favorite guitarist lineup. Shows you have sharp ears and great taste along with a keen ability to state your reasons for those choices. Just as an offside topic here, I grew up in the 80's when a LOT of this type of music was frowned on and put down as noise. It was, and still is, an effort to try to "help" many people be aware of and embrace the many technical, rhythmic, and melodic elements that these musicians bring to the table. Just don't tell anyone who listens to the Radio I said this...they might take it the wrong way. ;)

Same goes for a number of other styles, starting with Blues.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Maynard: +D - Hey wine guy, maybe give enough of a **** to not turn this into Puscifer with a Tool cover band. Guy has a killer voice, but mails it in IMO. For all I know Adam Jones and the producers were left using Puscifer tracks and auto tune to supplant Maynard into this album.

His voice has been done for a while. He can't let it rip anymore.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
My daughter and I were yakking about going when we saw the ads up at Maiden. Don't think I'm gonna make it and I kinda wish I could.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
Really hoping they bring back that orchestral "Smoke on the Water" opener that they used towards the end of last season.

And especially hoping that we start using this beauty for goals and/or wins:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->