OT: Music Sharing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Morpheus

nuckin’ futz
Sponsor
Jun 26, 2007
Oak Island - Lot #32
I've been going through my old cassettes and they do sound better than I remember. But they are still distant to a clean pressing on record or early generation CD that isn't over-compressed.

The problem with CDs nowadays is no one has a proper CD player anymore. If you track down an old 80s or early 90s built CD player that only does single or at most a 6 discs with with a decent DAC, CDs still sound pretty damn good.

Everyone just got used to playing them through their DVD players, Discmen, or gigantic 25+ CD changers with cheap DACs and plastic lenses and so we think they sound like ****. But a large part of it is the equipment.

Apparently some of the newer CD players perform admirably as well, but can be costly.

Agree 100%
I usually peruse kijiji for vintage single disc players...if the price is right I’ll take the gamble. Scored a Marantz, Rotel and H/K in the last year. If they die, and I can’t fix,
I’ll have a pile in storage.
Newer CD players under $1000 seem to have flimsy transports and I don’t want to wait 45 seconds for firmware loading.

Cassettes on the other hand, the decks can be a total bxxxh to maintain/fix.
For analogue I’ll stick to my LPs but it’s a CD buyers market and I still buy them.
No downloading here

ThreeOfAPerfectPair

Oct 26, 2017
Edmonton
I've been going through my old cassettes and they do sound better than I remember. But they are still distant to a clean pressing on record or early generation CD that isn't over-compressed.

The problem with CDs nowadays is no one has a proper CD player anymore. If you track down an old 80s or early 90s built CD player that only does single or at most a 6 discs with with a decent DAC, CDs still sound pretty damn good.

Everyone just got used to playing them through their DVD players, Discmen, or gigantic 25+ CD changers with cheap DACs and plastic lenses and so we think they sound like ****. But a large part of it is the equipment.

Apparently some of the newer CD players perform admirably as well, but can be costly.

External DAC's are the answer.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Anyone else getting back into Cassette tapes again? I just find there is no replacement for the analog sound you get off of tapes, CD’s sound are too processed. I also like the experience of unfolding the cassette cover and reading it while listening to an album. With CDs you just skip past songs too easy and don’t get the whole feel for the whole album.

Being a vinyl person from way back I never really got into cassettes too much but I did record my vinyl LP's and then play the cassettes in my car.
Once CD's became popular I just replaced them and gave them away.
I really do like vinyl but the older CD's (for the most part) and even better the SACD's are really clean and natural sounding.
I have a collection of SACD's that I run on my Marantz through my Sansui G-6700 I bought in the 80's when I was a teenager.
I still have a vintage Dual turntable from that era but my preference is to pop in an SACD.
Also...even though I listen to CD's I am a whole album listener. I think thats the way the music was intended to be listened to.
I understand what you are saying though...with cassettes its work to locate and skip songs so listening to the whole recording is much easier. CD's make it much easier to be song selective.

Reactions: Moreaupheus

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Certainly, but they usually aren't as cheap as finding a decent older model at a second hand shop/garage sale.

I find older CD players, and particularly unused ones can often have some difficulty with playing tracks completely. my experience has been stop and start and freezing. I've looked up ways to clean the lens, tried all sorts of things and have had difficulty getting these things to work properly again.

Anybody had similar problems or any fixes?

We've got a boombox CD in Kitchen right now driving us up the bend. Stops playing regularly or pauses and restarts. Through decades we've had this problem with half a dozen CD players. Whether it be standalone or boombox players. My current CD player in my stereo system is ready to give up the ghost. Takes longer to read CD's and play tracks and spits furballs when I try to get it to jump from one track to another.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
While this has been stated online countless times CD format and roll out would have to be considered yet another sales generated consumer limited experience. Benefits the seller, not the consumer.

Still remember the first CD's I played. Uniformly off the charts base response. Had to redo all my mix settings. I like a bit of volume and nothing blows up speakers or receivers or works them inordinately hard than CD's. While vinyl would play a truer to intended recording of the pressing CD's had all their own whomp to them. The way CD sound is encoded contributing greatly to this. So much so that people started listening to different things on records and Base/Drums got more focus imo with CD's. Which led to such fascination with Bass drops, Dub step, and booming base drum percussion. Some things sounded better, some worse, and music with nuance suffered and music with bombast prevailed. The CD kind of led to newer preferences, selected for hip hop, house, EDM, even Grunge. CD's elevated simpler chord sounds and was the death of more progressive music.

As an example as much as I liked the Smashing Pumpkins for instance what they could put on a disc, and how it would sound had a lot to do with the CD format delivering the new intended sound. Even a lot of remakes like Led Zep, etc, all the remasters, were done with what the CD punch could deliver differently, or bringing out elements of the track more so the CD would even note it.

CD format changed music. A lot of that change was not positive.

I may too go back to vinyl. Been looking at some "Project' turntables which surprisingly London Drugs carries. (of all places, and for the best price in the city)

heh, my two old turnovers suffer from tone arm problems. the bit of buzz that is the bane of turntable afficiondos if it ever happens. Tried reconnections, rewiring, even rewiring box. Once you get the dreaded turntable hum its a deal breaker. Time to get a new one.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Occasionally I like to feature an artist in town, or in this case a lovely singer who is from Edmonton and is performing on Canada day at the Legislature. Lucette, Check her out. She's very good. Seen her multiple times now and for my money the best Edmonton performer and I'm not even that into her initial genre but she's bending into different musical stylings. Shows a ton of promise.

Happy Canada Day weekend everybody.

Last edited:

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
Devin Townsend doesn't get enough love when it comes to celebrating Canadian musicians.

I bought Empath a few weeks ago just to give out support. He put a LOT of his own money in it himself. ALmost a "make or break" deal.

@Drivesaitl Great Indy Country/Blues sound from Lucette there. Definitely hedges more towards Blues on Muddy Water. Go figure.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I bought Empath a few weeks ago just to give out support. He put a LOT of his own money in it himself. ALmost a "make or break" deal.

@Drivesaitl Great Indy Country/Blues sound from Lucette there. Definitely hedges more towards Blues on Muddy Water. Go figure.

Lucette has a neat range. While she's been put in a bit of a Nashville box she very much resists those borders and has some eclectic and ranging stuff. But that voice and delivery!

First saw her at Highlandia festival and you're just not expecting to get blown away by a low budget fixture like that which only a few hundred people attend. Her performance of "Muddy Water" that day just grabbed me. I was hearing a self penned classic by a local artist in a small unknown pocket park performed impeccably live. Surreal. Sometimes its as if the world takes awhile in discovering such gems. She's a keeper. Labels should take more notice.

Reactions: Dorian2

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Heres one from around the world. Same thing. Labels should take better notice. Splendid singing, playing, songcraft. Who cares what language its in?

I like this live recording more (not the out of focus camera work, haha);

ItWasJustified

Jan 1, 2015
Heres one from around the world. Same thing. Labels should take better notice. Splendid singing, playing, songcraft. Who cares what language its in?

I like this live recording more (not the out of focus camera work, haha);

I saw her last summer. I even bought an LP from her even though I didn't own a record player at the moment. She did an excellent cover of Chris Isaak's Wicked Game in Swedish.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
For all my peeps on a great Friday (Lucic trade) A very overlooked classic from one of the best guitarists that lived. RIP Alvin Lee

I'm feelin generous. The whole 1994 album is great, it got overlooked. Another track, Alvin had really found his way back..Seems to me like Mark Knopfler was on his mind. Alvin could do any guitarist. But who could ever do him?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dorian2

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Here is a question, since I know we have a few guitar players on this board...
who are you top 5 players, and what was the 1 riff that made you want to start plaing?

1.Yngwie J. Malmsteen
2. Randy Rhoads
3. Edward Van Halen
4. Chet Atkins
5. Vito Bratta

(Brad Paisley is up ther as well)

and the riff was Crazy Train.

Dorian2

Define that balance
Jul 17, 2009
Edmonton
1. Randy Rhoads
2. Ace Frehley
3. Jimmy Page
4. Steve Morse
5. Ritchie Blackmore

Detroit Rock City. It's in this order because I played Tennis Racket to Kiss Alive I and II for about 2 years before I got my first guitar.

Reactions: booyakasha
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad