OT: Music Sharing Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

ujju2

Apr 9, 2016
Edmonton, AB
Been listening to a lot of Porcupine Tree recently. Gavin Harrison is probably second only to Neil Peart on my list of drummers (not including jazz drummers, of course. That's a hard comparison).

Reactions: Dorian2

Husker Du

Sponsor
Mar 18, 2012
Edmonton
Haven’t posted any music for a while so I thought I might bring up Mythic Sunship. They are a Danish psych/prog/space rock band that only plays instrumentals. Their label, El Paraiso, puts out a lot of this type of music and is pretty cool, imo.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
@Husker Du

Nice selection above

This might be something that moves you as well. Lots of different versions of this song and I'm not sure this is my favorite but sound quality is good. Wooden Shjips have some interesting grooves and I like what they have as influences.

Heres the song they are most noted for;

Last edited:

Husker Du

Sponsor
Mar 18, 2012
Edmonton
Thanks for the songs, both are great! I love the heavy acid sound of Contact. I’m a bit of a sucker for fuzz which is the key to These Shadows. Two really different sounds from them. Definitely will pick them up on vinyl.

The bass line in Contact brought this to mind:

While the first thing I thought of when listening to These Shadows was this:

Maybe not the exact right song, but it reminds me of a fuzzed out Brian Jonestown Massacre (video may not be appropriate for work)

Excited to see some action in this thread again

Reactions: plank

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Danko Jones, saw them live 12 or so years ago. Opened for Andrew WK. funny show.
LOL, I was there...Las Vegas Crypt Keepers (Cool guys)were on the bill, and was hanging with Danko that night,
Andrews girl came up to me and said "Chi chi wants the yayo.."LOL I'm not sure who she thought I was, a rad night.
I've seen Danko plenty, and try to hang with him and J.C whenever they come through

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Thanks for the songs, both are great! I love the heavy acid sound of Contact. I’m a bit of a sucker for fuzz which is the key to These Shadows. Two really different sounds from them. Definitely will pick them up on vinyl.

The bass line in Contact brought this to mind:

While the first thing I thought of when listening to These Shadows was this:

Maybe not the exact right song, but it reminds me of a fuzzed out Brian Jonestown Massacre (video may not be appropriate for work)

Excited to see some action in this thread again

Interesting takes on it. Looks like you go back as far as I do with music. You won't hear a Tommy James and the Shondells reference very often. How I loved growing up in the 60's 70's and having one after another amazing album to listen to EVERY WEEK. You could hardly keep up, and with a catalog that people have been listening to, mostly, ever since. Pop music, anyway, will never hit this halcyon high tide moment again.

I'll leave you with a boundary jumping track from one of the best Topanga Canyon bands that inspired so many instrumental bands since the 60's NSFW lyrics. Its weird, Its Spirit. This is still awesome to listen to on a good audio system. Whole album was a real moment in time.

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Interesting takes on it. Looks like you go back as far as I do with music. You won't hear a Tommy James and the Shondells reference very often. How I loved growing up in the 60's 70's and having one after another amazing album to listen to EVERY WEEK. You could hardly keep up, and with a catalog that people have been listening to, mostly, ever since. Pop music, anyway, will never hit this halcyon high tide moment again.

I'll leave you with a boundary jumping track from one of the best Topanga Canyon bands that inspired so many instrumental bands since the 60's NSFW lyrics. Its weird, Its Spirit. This is still awesome to listen to on a good audio system. Whole album was a real moment in time.

Were you into Hard rock in the early days? early 70's

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Were you into Hard rock in the early days? early 70's

Black Sabbath Black Sabbath title track was a lullaby to me from the start. Its hard to grow up with mind blowing stuff like that and not have it shape you in some way. Early Zep, BOC, Yardbirds, Animals, Kinks, Iron Butterfly, King Crimson, all of it. Actually a lot of what I list is precursor metal, or hard rock. But yeah I followed it up with a constant diet in the early 70's.

I was into some hard stuff as early as early Creem. From even a young age I really zeroed in on some heavy stuff. Its like I was 5-10yrs old and could experience radical music without the drugs. Although that came in handy later. ;)

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Black Sabbath Black Sabbath title track was a lullaby to me from the start. Its hard to grow up with mind blowing stuff like that and not have it shape you in some way. Early Zep, BOC, Yardbirds, Animals, Kinks, Iron Butterfly, King Crimson, all of it. Actually a lot of what I list is precursor metal, or hard rock. But yeah I followed it up with a constant diet in the early 70's.

I was into some hard stuff as early as early Creem. From even a young age I really zeroed in on some heavy stuff. Its like I was 5-10yrs old and could experience radical music without the drugs. Although that came in handy later. ;)
Not many people remember Dust,
Marky Ramone before he went onto the Ramones....underated band, and his skills on the kit were killer on the album, and now he's over looked, cuz he really kicked ass back then.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Not many people remember Dust,
Marky Ramone before he went onto the Ramones....underated band, and his skills on the kit were killer on the album, and now he's over looked, cuz he really kicked ass back then.

I remember their "Hard Attack" album more but this one is interesting too. Can see some pre punk on these two but mostly southern rock driven and tbh I wasn't into that mode as much. Liked British music a lot back then or the west coast scene. Didn't start getting into the NY scene until Lou Reed.

Reactions: booyakasha

Husker Du

Sponsor
Mar 18, 2012
Edmonton
My favourite hard/psych/space rock from early 70's:

and

(from the space ritual - worth looking up)

The freakout at 3:30 is amazing!

RIP Lemmy!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad