OT: Music III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
I have a Love/hate relationship with the Lamb album. There are songs on this album, especially on the first disk that are absolutely amazing, "Fly on the wall/broadway melody of 74" on top, but on the other hand some others irritates me terribly. That's the only Genesis album that does that to me.

I agree, I bought the double album and I basically only listened to the first one.
With regards to the Selling England by the Pound I remember how fun it was when I learned that little guitar part from Dancing with a Moonlit Knight at the beginning when Gabriel sings:

Citizens of Hope & Glory,
Time goes by, it's "the time of your life"
Easy now, sit you down
Chewing through your Wimpey dreams,
They eat without a sound
Digesting England by the pound

Young man says "you are what you eat" eat well
Old man says "you are what you wear" wear well
You know what you are, you don't give a damn
Bursting your belt that is your homemade sham

Very smart lyrics as well. and maybe one other line then the insane guitar playing starts which I never even tried. :)

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Never really got into the Eagles, but I've come to appreciate them more as I've grown older. Not a great fan, never saw them before, but can't say I hate them.

I like their first 2 albums because they were easy to play and their songs were liked by chicks and that is why I played at first. :) After that it became 2 good songs per album like Hotel California with the title song and the New Kid in Town where the rest are bland.

Last edited:

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Sacrilege

Skynyrd influenced so many bands, to mention them in the same breath as these.. stage acts, is just.. so you

I remember when they got taught a lesson in the UK, they were vandalizing a hotel on tour and at the same hotel there where members of the Police Boxing Association staying. A few smacks and they bade forgiveness and went back to their rooms. :)

Last edited:

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
Thoughts on Neil Young? I am a bit fan but I know he rubs some the wrong way.
Read Shakey (bio) and Waging Heavy Peace(autobio) He has probably rubbed a bunch of people the wrong way, including bandmates and others close to him. He acknowledged that in his autobiography. Great catalogue of music. Live at Massey Hall is one of my favorite albums.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Read Shakey (bio) and Waging Heavy Peace(autobio) He has probably rubbed a bunch of people the wrong way, including bandmates and others close to him. He acknowledged that in his autobiography. Great catalogue of music. Live at Massey Hall is one of my favorite albums.

Just got them both, the Kindle versions but will go to Powell's when they reopen to get second hand copies since I like to look at pictures sitting up. So far all your book recommendations have been top notch. :thumbu::thumbu::thumbu:

Reactions: Chili

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I remember when they got taught a lesson in the UK, they were vandalizing a hotel on tour and at the same hotel there where members of the Police Boxing Association staying. A few smacks and they bade forgiveness and went back to their rooms. :)

Guessing the original line up before the crash?

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Another of my favorite bands. Very scary lyrics to the title melody. Love that electric piano and the tremolo guitar. Bought a book about Jim Morrison back in the 80s called No One Here Gets Out Alive. Boy he could drink and party.

Back in the day I'd give him a run for the title.:)

Cleaned up his act though and faked his death,probably.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018

Love that song, it must have been the first time they did a folk song given that the Battle of Evermore was on the IV album. The great Sandy Denny did sing on it. The Gallows Pole is such a great version although Plant should not have to have people riding up and down trying to find something that could help from being hanged. He could just scream like he did in those days and he would have been heard everywhere. :)
It is a somewhat underrated album IMHO.

Sandy Denny, such a loss, died at 31 when falling down the stairs, one of Britain's best singers for sure

Here is Sandy with her amazing voice, she also wrote the more well known song "Who Knows Where the Time Goes" covered by artist like Eva Cassidy, Judy Collins and Nina Simone and many more.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Guessing the original line up before the crash?

It must have been in the mid 70s since I subscribed to NME the British music paper and started that in 1972 when Ziggy Stardust knocked me on the head. I still think that album is one of the best ever made and Rock N Roll Suicide is such a great ballad.
Anyway I stopped reading it in the late 70s. I had a great live album with Lynyard, some of them had Dutch heritage. Many great guitarist have Dutch heritage, some are even born there like Van Halen.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
Love that song, it must have been the first time they did a folk song given that the Battle of Evermore was on the IV album. The great Sandy Denny did sing on it. The Gallows Pole is such a great version although Plant should not have to have people riding up and down trying to find something that could help from being hanged. He could just scream like he did in those days and he would have been heard everywhere. :)
It is a somewhat underrated album IMHO.

Sandy Denny, such a loss, died at 31 when falling down the stairs, one of Britain's best singers for sure

Here is Sandy with her amazing voice, she also wrote the more well known song "Who Knows Where the Time Goes" covered by artist like Eva Cassidy, Judy Collins and Nina Simone and many more.

If not mistaken Zep 3 one side was acoustic.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
If not mistaken Zep 3 one side was acoustic.

Almost, Gallows Pole is an acoustic with some electric guitar at the end and Tangerine had electric steel guitar but was very acoustic as well but side 2 was very much acoustic like you say. The first had Since I've Been Loving You which has some really good singing and lead guitar then the Viking song. Page played all string instruments apart from bass and mandolin which was JPJ. I am playing it right now. :)

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
It must have been in the mid 70s since I subscribed to NME the British music paper and started that in 1972 when Ziggy Stardust knocked me on the head. I still think that album is one of the best ever made and Rock N Roll Suicide is such a great ballad.
Anyway I stopped reading it in the late 70s. I had a great live album with Lynyard, some of them had Dutch heritage. Many great guitarist have Dutch heritage, some are even born there like Van Halen.

Makes sense then the original members. The van Zant clan could play some good music for sure. The van Halens came over to the states young but can still speak perfect Dutch,their mother could not speak English being Dutch-Indo

It was very sad the day Bowie passed, a true superstar.

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009
Here is a Swedish song written by Mikael Wiehe who used to be a member of prog group called Hoola Bandoola Band. This is my favorite of all his songs. It is a story about a couple that travel to Seville, then suddenly his female partner wants to break up and he sings about staying in Seville where the women are beautiful, how beautiful the city is and he hates the thought of going back to Sweden where the winter darkness and the cold will soon take over. On the album there is a nice acoustic slide guitar as well.

Man, I f***ing hate Mikael Wiehe! :laugh:

But I have ot give him props for "Keops Pyramider", damn that's a good Swedish progg tune.
Not to be confused with what the rest of the world called prog.

The harmonies during the middle section are freakin wonderful!
And don't miss the guy in black sweater playing the triangle at 4:45

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009
Almost, Gallows Pole is an acoustic with some electric guitar at the end and Tangerine had electric steel guitar but was very acoustic as well but side 2 was very much acoustic like you say. The first had Since I've Been Loving You which has some really good singing and lead guitar then the Viking song. Page played all string instruments apart from bass and mandolin which was JPJ. I am playing it right now. :)
The "Viking song" is such a perfect tune!
I friend and I have discussed for ages wheter Jimmy Page is in fact the least outstanding member of Led Zeppelin. I rank them as one of the best groups of all times, not without their warts, but that is also one of the things that makes them great. They took chances, went places with their music, not everything turned out great, but they grew.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
Man, I f***ing hate Mikael Wiehe! :laugh:

But I have ot give him props for "Keops Pyramider", damn that's a good Swedish progg tune.
Not to be confused with what the rest of the world called prog.

The harmonies during the middle section are freakin wonderful!
And don't miss the guy in black sweater playing the triangle at 4:45

En rolig sak som många inte vet är att han var medlem av Högerns Ungdoms Förbund när han växte upp, det var innan dom blev moderaterna. Jag tycker att hans musik och några av hans texter som Sevilla är bra, en annan är Flickan och Kråkan, när texterna är personliga och inte politiska. Det är svårt för mig att skriva på svenska med US rättstavning byggt in. Fan så svårt men det är bra att svära på, ingen annan än du och jag förstå. Jävlar anamma! :)

Reactions: Zam Boni
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad