OT: Music II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
That is a great album and a great band. Just to nick the name of Herman Hesse's book is great.

The things one can learn here. Had to search him and can see the tie in at least,Kay being German. The sound of a generation.:thumbu:

First thing I thought about when Per mentioned Hesse, was Demian -- another book that was mandatory in high school.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
This is the type of PFM cut that CHOM didn't play.

PFM tried to break in North America but made one fatal mistake -- they allowed a singer with a thick Italian accent to sing what was supposed to be their groundbreaking English album, Chocolate Kings. If you're able to look past the accent and jumbled lyrics and mangled pronunciations, behind all that you will find some of the most impressive technically sound music of the time.

I used to listen to the Chocolate Kings album end to end and would be totally immersed in every cut.

One of them was Harlequin, which they played to a huge ovation the last time they were in Montreal, maybe 10 years or so ago. I was there and and was lucky to be able to meet the band after the show. I got to chat with all of the band members for that hour they had before leaving in a bus for Toronto. They were personable, respectful and always smiling -- it was such a beautiful experience.

The song builds up and the magic happens at 3:43. Stick with it and you'll see what makes them special, their musical phrasing is exceptional.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Acoustic shows can be great,smaller venue the better. Seen ST a few times but never Hodgson solo. Will certainly try and catch him at some time.

I'm generally not a fan of acoustic shows. I find that kind of stuff too slow, or too similar. Only exception for me might be a 12-string guitar or a Spanish guitar as in the acoustic show I saw of Paco de Lucia at PdA.

Throw some acoustic guitar in a prog rock song and now, I'm really interested.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Seen Supertramp many years ago, Hodgson's show was well worth it, highly recommend it.

Oh man, there was a period of time where Supertramp ruled the airwaves. Brings back a lot of memories.

This song was huge, as those of us who were around them only know too well.

Liked this one in particular:

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
How so? You were not thinking of this PFM song, which quickly became an irritant to me. Not what I liked best about PFM:

Just letting you know,never have heard this song. This was big and a hit? Has some influence from ELP,Styx. Checked their library and nothing came to me. If I had heard this back in the day,not rushing out to buy it!Always appreciate a learning experience,thanks.

This one haunted me as a kid,would wake in a cold sweat screaming.:eek:

Oddly now it doesn't seem so bad.:confused:

If someone can explain how the hell that ram logo got there.....

Attachments

• upload_2020-5-29_10-29-16.jpeg
    upload_2020-5-29_10-29-16.jpeg
    3 KB · Views: 2
Reactions: Runner77

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
First thing I thought about when Per mentioned Hesse, was Demian -- another book that was mandatory in high school.

Don't recall reading that book,but my memory may not be as good for some things as for some others. What level of school might this have been part of the curriculum?circa?

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
This is the type of PFM cut that CHOM didn't play.

PFM tried to break in North America but made one fatal mistake -- they allowed a singer with a thick Italian accent to sing what was supposed to be their groundbreaking English album, Chocolate Kings. If you're able to look past the accent and jumbled lyrics and mangled pronunciations, behind all that you will find some of the most impressive technically sound music of the time.

I used to listen to the Chocolate Kings album end to end and would be totally immersed in every cut.

One of them was Harlequin, which they played to a huge ovation the last time they were in Montreal, maybe 10 years or so ago. I was there and and was lucky to be able to meet the band after the show. I got to chat with all of the band members for that hour they had before leaving in a bus for Toronto. They were personable, respectful and always smiling -- it was such a beautiful experience.

The song builds up and the magic happens at 3:43. Stick with it and you'll see what makes them special, their musical phrasing is exceptional.

That was a much better song then the other one posted. Certainly fits with the time and genre.

Have zero issues with a way a band sings or sounds,accents make for a unique presentation in my books.

You spoke with them in Italian? Sounds like a nice memory,glad you enjoyed the experience,sometimes meeting celebrities can be a bit of a let down.

angusyoung

The life of..The Party
Aug 17, 2014
Heirendaar
I'm generally not a fan of acoustic shows. I find that kind of stuff too slow, or too similar. Only exception for me might be a 12-string guitar or a Spanish guitar as in the acoustic show I saw of Paco de Lucia at PdA.

Throw some acoustic guitar in a prog rock song and now, I'm really interested.

I think a lot depends on the artist being seen and the venue and preconceived idea of how the show will be and fall short of expectations.

Joe Jackson shows ,not acoustic,but no show to speak of,but fine for me. Mellencamp show alone I almost cried.

I try to see Golden Earring acoustic when possible,prefer over the arena shows actually. Both are great for me,but the acoustic shows are small venues and more of a family feel.

Of course as with many things personal taste is unique. Liona Boyd is a phenomenal guitarist,but not my cup of tea for a show.

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
His early stuff was great,after this he just became run of the mill,and this was bad. For some sobriety doesn't lend itself to artistic achievement.

Yea Flush the Fashion was released when new wave bands were in vogue, not one my favorites, and I started losing interest after that album. But a ton of his earlier stuff is incredible and his shows are still phenomenal.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
He was residing in Germany ,still might be.So it depends when you saw him. He moved to Germany because they had more freedom than Britain. His primary beef was that smoking in clubs etc were not permitted but in Germany they are.

I remember watching a TV concert from some outdoor German place, Rock Palatz or something and he shouted to the audience. " I have never seen so many drunk Germans before".

Forum93

Feb 16, 2015
I think a lot depends on the artist being seen and the venue and preconceived idea of how the show will be and fall short of expectations.

Joe Jackson shows ,not acoustic,but no show to speak of,but fine for me. Mellencamp show alone I almost cried.

I try to see Golden Earring acoustic when possible,prefer over the arena shows actually. Both are great for me,but the acoustic shows are small venues and more of a family feel.

Of course as with many things personal taste is unique. Liona Boyd is a phenomenal guitarist,but not my cup of tea for a show.

Cried as in a bad way? I've seen Mellencamp with his full band but never acoustic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->