OT: Music being played at Leaf games

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
The music sucks at SBA. I also wish they had an organ at SBA. That is so badasss and is a traditional hockey musical instrument. Musical atmosphere definitely needs to be overhauled.

Seconded. Came into this thread to post just this. WTF happened to the hockey organ? It's pathetic they don't bust it out at least a few times during game.

Overall the Leafs in game entertainment has been a$$ for years, if not decades now. We complain about how dead it is at SBA yet the organization has no clue how to hype the crowd up and does a piss-poor job at engaging those in attendance. It goes beyond only the music selection.

Reactions: OddyOh

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Seconded. Came into this thread to post just this. WTF happened to the hockey organ? It's pathetic they don't bust it out at least a few times during game.

Overall the Leafs in game entertainment has been a$$ for years, if not decades now. We complain about how dead it is at SBA yet the organization has no clue how to hype the crowd up and does a piss-poor job at engaging those in attendance. It goes beyond only the music selection.

They do play the organ a few times, still Jimmy Holmstrom.
Organist Jimmy Holmstrom hasn’t missed a Toronto Maple Leafs home game in 30 years

Doesn't seem any different than other rinks in traditional hockey markets.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
I could stand to hear less Quiet Riot "*** On Feel the Noise" this year...I don't mind that era at all, but man...every third period. Crazy Train is equally played out.

I got used to the Hall & Oates goal song, but that's a single-season use for sure...time to change it up.

Agreed about Hall & Oates. I love H&O but yes, I would've gone as far to say that it was played out 1/2 way through last season. Frankly, there are even better Hall & Oates songs they could be using to hype the crowd if they insist.

CincoHolio

Jan 8, 2013
Toronto
They do play the organ a few times, still Jimmy Holmstrom.
Organist Jimmy Holmstrom hasn’t missed a Toronto Maple Leafs home game in 30 years

Doesn't seem any different than other rinks in traditional hockey markets.

Just read through the article and man are they out of touch if they think what they're doing is getting the crowd pumped up. Maybe they did play the organ when I was there but had the system turned down, because it certainly didn't stand out at all.

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Really? it must not be every game then because the last couple of times I was there I didn't hear it and remarked as much at the time.
Usually during an extended break, intermissions. I'd like them to play the organ more, not a fan of the same music at the same point in every game.

Funny for the goal song, heard it during pre-season and remarked to my 15 year old daughter that I was hoping they would change it and she said "you're crazy, the goal song is iconic" lol

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
Just read through the article and man are they out of touch if they think what they're doing is getting the crowd pumped up. Maybe they did play the organ when I was there but had the system turned down, because it certainly didn't stand out at all.

Far worse, is the 'cheerleaders' running around, throwing things and the annoying young guy yelling into the mic. (Hopefully he's gone this year)
IMO, forced excitement never works.

Reactions: Rob Brown

BM14

Dec 7, 2012
GTA
Far worse, is the 'cheerleaders' running around, throwing things and the annoying young guy yelling into the mic. (Hopefully he's gone this year)
IMO, forced excitement never works.
They're trying to appeal to people who aren't there for hockey. It sucks but it is what it is.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
One song I wish they would work in for HNIC / Saturday games: Elton John - Saturday Night's Alright For Fighting

ottomaddox

Oct 31, 2017
Toronto
I wish HNIC bought back their theme song from TSN. What a ridiculous thing that was. They'll be really sorry when Don Cherry leaves.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The music sucks at SBA. I also wish they had an organ at SBA. That is so badasss and is a traditional hockey musical instrument. Musical atmosphere definitely needs to be overhauled.
Sorry if I sound ignorant, but what is 'SBA'?

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
The building where the Leafs play
That's right. They renamed the ACC, didn't they?

Stupid going to corporate names anyway, just for the sake of a few dollars.

Maple Leaf Gardens: that's a proper name. Boston Gardens, Montreal Forum: good, real names. Even Skydome was decent, but where the heck is Bell Centre, or Wells Fargo Arena, or ACC, or SBA, or SFA?

ACC1224

Aug 19, 2002
That's right. They renamed the ACC, didn't they?

Stupid going to corporate names anyway, just for the sake of a few dollars.

Maple Leaf Gardens: that's a proper name. Boston Gardens, Montreal Forum: good, real names. Even Skydome was decent, but where the heck is Bell Centre, or Wells Fargo Arena, or ACC, or SBA, or SFA?
I think the Leafs got 800 million from Scotia for 20 years.

I don't think there are many, if any, venues left anywhere that don't have a corporate name.

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
I think the Leafs got 800 million from Scotia for 20 years.

I don't think there are many, if any, venues left anywhere that don't have a corporate name.
I haven't checked, but using your numbers, that's only 40M per year. Relative peanuts. Conn Smythe would never have done it, although I'm a bit surprised that Ballard didn't!

But yes, very few pro sporting venues aren't just a generic corporate name now. One more example of the almighty dollar replacing tradition.

The changing of arena names, like the constant turnover of players, is creating generic teams in generic rinks: no wonder fans are losing interest.

sittler rules!!!

Feb 9, 2004
I could stand to hear less Quiet Riot "*** On Feel the Noise" this year...I don't mind that era at all, but man...every third period. Crazy Train is equally played out.

I got used to the Hall & Oates goal song, but that's a single-season use for sure...time to change it up.
Start of third period- Last American Exit- Tragically Hip

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->