OT: Music 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
I don't know how many of you speak or understand Spanish but this song I just discovered this morning is absolutely incredible.

The artist is originally from Poland, and one of the verses is in Polish. He emigrated to Spain with his parents in the 80s and this song is such a powerful telling of that experience and its aftermath. I know a lot of people in Manitoba have Polish and other eastern European roots so run the lyrics through Google translate and enjoy...

I'm starting to study Spanish myself lately and I have to say, music (especially covers of songs I already know) have been a fantastic bridge for me to keep my interest up.

Probably my favorite Spanish language song:

Another one which I like, which might sound kind of goofy, but is absolutely a faithful banda cover of a song that is, let's be honest, really a bit ridiculous :P

Finally, there's something to be said for a song with simpler English lyrics with Spanish subs. That this is one of the most beautiful examples of video game music (<3 Ashley Barrett, <3 Darren Korb, <3 SuperGiant Games) could be a post on its own:

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I don't know how many of you speak or understand Spanish but this song I just discovered this morning is absolutely incredible.

The artist is originally from Poland, and one of the verses is in Polish. He emigrated to Spain with his parents in the 80s and this song is such a powerful telling of that experience and its aftermath. I know a lot of people in Manitoba have Polish and other eastern European roots so run the lyrics through Google translate and enjoy...

Fado... :thumbu:

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
This stomper' came on right after Kraftwerk... it's incredible how Sync 3 can work sometimes...

Perfect... this one was early after I married... the rock bands in the bars scene had much diminished...

My buds were all single... I was married no children... I often went home alone... they left early...

I stayed and danced with all the girls in the Dance Clubs... and left alone to go home to My lady...

This one was a very physical.... every beat... step tune... this Vid' reminds Me of those nights... the girls just loved it if you could beat step... this Vid' shows variations... modern... but similar...

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Somewhere between Swift Current and the salt lakes... this one played...

If it wasn't for a high thin cloud system... it was a brilliant clear prairie night... the stars would have just added to this tune... great latter Stones tune...

Last edited:

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
This one played right after the Stones...

It's pure 80's to 90's pop...

But it makes Me feel good to hear it... a group of buds who played Senior Mens Basketball for years together would go to the bars after practices and games... have brews... shoot the shit... and I was Cliff Claven, would break up the fights on facts...

3 of those buds out of that group are long dead... died too young...

This tune was like background music to those truly happy times... more carefree times...

John Agar

The 4th Hanson Bro'
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Two more... gotta' get up at 5 am and hit the road and get home....

Anthony Bourdain and I share a common thread in our backgrounds...

His book Kitchen Confidential spoke to Me...

Bourdain then moved on to television... No Reservations... The Layover and Parts Unknown...

This tune is from one of the final number of episodes of Parts Unknown...

Anthony Bourdain turned Me on to Mark Lanegan...

Here is A.B. introducing Lanegan...

I remember watching this episode... this intro... it haunts Me to this day... I saw A.B. that day as
taught, troubled... isolated...

It hurts to this day...

Last edited:

ryerockarola

Nov 20, 2011
As I climbed up out of Swifty....

The line of Semi' Trailers was left in the dust.... center line speed up...

This tune was during My Techno period...

These guys were the inspiration for Mike Myers and SNL's 'Sprockets'...

And... seminal progression to Rave...

And Kraftwerk's album cover
man-machine-cover-800x802.jpg

was the inspiration for Autobahn's record cover. :DD

7887193_autobahn.jpg

DharmaBum

Just like a young Dave Ellett
Nov 14, 2010
Winnipeg
Part of the '90's Seattle scene. Opening sounds very similar to Spoonman by Soundgarden. This one came out in '93 and Spoonman in '94. This wasn't one of their bigger songs. Better known songs were, "Far Behind", "Change", and "You".

Canada's own Sandbox with none other than Mike Smith (Bubbles from Trailer Park Boys) on guitar.

Tempted to go with Boxcar Willie as the last "box" artist, but we'll go with this one instead.

From Wiki: Rolling Stone magazine included the Box Tops original at number 372 on its list of the "500 Greatest Songs of All Time";[1]the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame added it to the list of the "500 Songs That Shaped Rock and Roll".[2

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
Hey Alpha, If you are digging the Spanish sounds, not many out there who will do it better than these chaps. Truly one of the best bands around! (A bit of a Winnipeg connection here too, Mavs drummer Paul Deakin is married to a Winnipeg lass)

Reactions: spiny norman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->