OT: Music 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Never heard that before, nice. :thumbu:

Right? It seems so few people have.

There's a saying in poker: you make your easiest money when you're outside your wheelhouse -- the reckless gambler who plays nearly every hand gets paid off like a sultan when they can flop the World's Fair and just bet bet bet away, while the conservative player, who enters a pot about as often as Chevy makes a trade, can steal even significant pots with a well timed bluff.

I think something similar is in play here for musicians. Because Motörhead's (and Ozzy's) usual fare was so different than "1916" (and "Mama I'm Coming Home"), that it's just.. more special.

chaos4

Mr.Scratch
Jun 1, 2013
winnipeg
Right? It seems so few people have.

There's a saying in poker: you make your easiest money when you're outside your wheelhouse -- the reckless gambler who plays nearly every hand gets paid off like a sultan when they can flop the World's Fair and just bet bet bet away, while the conservative player, who enters a pot about as often as Chevy makes a trade, can steal even significant pots with a well timed bluff.

I think something similar is in play here for musicians. Because Motörhead's (and Ozzy's) usual fare was so different than "1916" (and "Mama I'm Coming Home"), that it's just.. more special.

Well said, I agree.

Reactions: AlphaLackey

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

First place I heard this was Thunder Bay. They played the crap out of it. I'd been on Sirius for some time so hadn't listed to local radio for a long time, came back, listened, never heard it. Winnipeg radio is worse than TBay? Apparently so.

The band takes me back to the days of punk. Maybe some Drop Kick Murphys influence in there, maybe I'm dreaming. Pretty light fair, maybe more ska than punk but it makes me feel young. Brain didn't age, body sure as hell did.

chaos4

Mr.Scratch
Jun 1, 2013
winnipeg
We had/have tickets to see Motley Crue , Def leppard, Poison and Joan Jett in LA last September, now this September. Don't think it's going to happen.:(

I can't imagine, not going to a concert again. :(
Maybe someday, I'll get to this "LA" place, you speak of. :laugh:

Reactions: Jets 31

DharmaBum

Just like a young Dave Ellett
Nov 14, 2010
Winnipeg
Big on the college scene in the '90's Toad the Wet Sprocket had a minor hit with this song. Courtney Cox is in the video.

Former lead singer of "The Replacements" Paul Westerberg had this minor hit when it was on the soundtrack of the move "Singles" The soundtrack also featured up and coming music from Alice In Chains, Pearl Jam and Soundgarden.

What ever happened to Jimmy Ray? Who wants to know?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad