Music 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Couple of Deep Purple posts in the last couple of days took me back. Think I've mentioned it before but in high school I'd plop Machine Head or Made in Japan on the turntable and viciously guard it until we were done. Turns out not much guarding needed in our crowd.

I never got to see DP in their early days for reasons I can't really understand (I'm not sure they came through Winnipeg in the 80s or 90s) but I was able to finally see them in 2012 and what a show. I might have been close to the youngest person in the crowd.

Always love watching this one to see the fans and how utterly polite they were. Gillan's vocals are masterful here.

My favorite tune on Machine Head was always Lazy. I found this version a number of years ago and was completely blown away. Perhaps not surprising if you recognize the musicians playing this version.

Bass – Michael Rhodes
Drums – Anton Fig
Guitar – Brad Whitford (Aerosmith), Joe Bonamassa
Organ – Arlan Schierbaum
Vocals - Jimmy Barnes

Schierbaum and Fig played a ton with Bonamassa as well as being huge studio guys.

Some don't consider it classic DP but I love this song so much.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
One of the first bands I ever saw and oh, my parents weren't pleased with this one. I've been a huge fan ever since. Couple of things you probably know: he ain't very tall, maybe 5'7" at best and he's a hell of a golfer, so he could be our board mascot. When he's in town he usually plays Bel Acres. Better choices to be had but he seems to like it there. There's a picture of me and Alice floating around out there somewhere as I was lucky enough to meet him after a show in the 2000s.

This was the tour I first got to see him on. It's pretty humorous to think of him as being shocking or scary now but back in the day he was public enemy number one from the music world.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I've not seen this guy come up here at all. Cheesy? Yep. Talented? For sure. Theatrical? Oh baby. Couldn't do it without Jim Steinman and still playing live. Remarkable. The first album was 1976, a hell of a long time ago. Nobody saw this coming.

The life lesson song. My mom didn't like Meatloaf much at all either and especially this song. She got mad one day and asked me if I even understood it. I pretty much explained it perfectly at 12 and she let me listen to it from then on. Oh and Ellen Foley? Yup. We didn't talk about Ellen Foley, but I thought about her.

Speaking of Patti Russo. gaw.....that girl can really sing and stuff.

Klondiker98

Klondiker98
Sponsor
Sep 14, 2020
Oops I meant to say that I miss the old Wpg Arena for concerts .A big part of my youth in the 70s and early 80s was seeing our "Classic Rock " heroes perform in front of the Queens smoke yellowed portrait:thumbu:

Reactions: Jets 31
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad