Confirmed with Link: Murray hires Rob Murphy as Scout (From Ottawa)

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
ave Davis ‏@DaveDavisHockey 9m

Reports from Ottawa indicate scout Rob Murphy has left the Sens to join Tim Murray in Buffalo. Murray has wanted Murphy in BUF for awhile.

Steve Lloyd ‏@TSNSteveLloyd 27m

As expected, hearing Rob Murphy has left the #Sens scouting staff to join Tim Murray in Buffalo.

Last edited:

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
He's a pro scout.

I'm all for new pro scouts as I've thought our acquisitions at the NHL level have been so-so for many years.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I won't pretend to know dick all about this guy, but the idea that Murray brings in someone he worked with and really wanted on his team is very positive in my book. I hope he brings in a few more guys he views highly based on past association.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
some historical perspective

Bulletin: Rob Murphy joins Senators scouting staff
Wednesday, 04.08.2010 / 2:00 PM / News
Ottawa Senators
OTTAWA - Ottawa Senators general manager Bryan Murray announced today that Rob Murphy has joined the club in a professional scouting capacity. Murphy joins current pro scouts Jim Clark and Nick Polano on the Senators staff.

A native of Hull, Qué., Murphy began his scouting career with the Phoenix Coyotes in 2007 and served three seasons as an amateur scout based in the Ottawa area. In his new role with the Senators, Murphy’s responsibilities will include scouting upcoming team opponents and evaluating players at the National Hockey League, American Hockey League and collegiate levels.

Originally drafted by the Vancouver Canucks with their first pick (24th overall) in the 1987 NHL Entry Draft, Murphy played parts of seven NHL seasons with Vancouver, the Senators and the Los Angeles Kings, recording 21 points (nine goals, 12 assists) and 152 penalty minutes in 125 games. Murphy’s best season occurred with Ottawa in the Senators’ inaugural campaign (1992-93), when he registered 10 points (three goals, seven assists) in 44 contests.
http://senators.nhl.com/club/page.htm?id=74768

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Apparently it's a "promotion" ..

The 6th Sens @6thSens
@TSNSteveLloyd you mean the Senators "chose to let him go".

Steve Lloyd
@TSNSteveLloyd
@6thSens Ha. In fairness. It's an upward mobility move.

jBuds

pretty damn valuable
Sponsor
Apr 9, 2005
Richmond, VA
Interestingly, Beerz, you had picked up a LeBrun tweet on Murphy joining the Sabres around the time Tim was hired. It happened, but it took a bit over six months...

Strange. You wonder what the six month delay actually was.

Have we identified the "promotion" that Murphy is getting by coming here? Is he in a higher role or higher title here amongst scouts? Or is he getting a supreme title above scouting?

Or is this really just a lateral move into an organization he feels he can rise quicker within?

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Strange. You wonder what the six month delay actually was.

Have we identified the "promotion" that Murphy is getting by coming here? Is he in a higher role or higher title here amongst scouts? Or is he getting a supreme title above scouting?

Or is this really just a lateral move into an organization he feels he can rise quicker within?

The initial delay was likely that guys just don't get poached for non-GM roles during the season. Perhaps between the end of the season and today, he and/or Ottawa felt the house needed to be in order before he left. At this point, from the perspective of a pro scout, the bulk of the offseason is now over, with most free agent signings being complete.

As to the other questions, I don't believe there's anything but speculation. I'd say there's certainly room for another AGM spot without firing Devine, but that doesn't necessarily mean that's what's happening. Christiano is the director of pro scouting currently, so I don't think Murphy's being given that position, though it's always possible. It's also possible that he's being assigned duties that are simply different, such as a return to the amateur scouting side.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
ready-to-form-voltron-o.gif

It looks like he believes in this guy big time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad