Confirmed with Link: Murray accepts qualifying offer

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
And since this is balanced with a lack of astigmatic "Dubinsky is our best center" comments, I'd say it's even awesomer.

And since I never made any posts of either kind, I can claim victory over all of you crummies.

Great comment, way to add to the discussion.

they are also very different kind of player anyway not a good comparison

They also, both, play the same position. Defense. And they are essentially the top 2 of 3 guys or so in the running to be on the top pair with our Norris candidate. So how is it NOT a good comparison?

That would be fine if Murray would have been given even a hint of respect thrown his way that Werenski and many others have.

Or if he hasn't been given the AMOUNT of disrespect thrown his way. People have very short and selective memories. Remember, "Glass Man" might literally be the most common nickname given to him by "CBJ fans" here. False? Just a joke?

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I think you’re being sarcastic here, but I figured you would like it since I agreed with you.

Somewhat relatable to why I am defensive of Murray, I have heard enough jokes about the Kassian fight that anything negative about Dubinsky that I find unnecessary will not be accepted by me.

You could still make the argument that Dubinsky is currently our 2nd most important center. And that he has been nearly his entire time in Columbus.

Also, not sure why the "dragging down" rule doesn't apply to Dubinsky, either.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Oh, its about age now?

Why is it considered "tearing down" Werenski, by saying Murray is better?
Because you seem unwilling to make the case that Murray is better without casting aspersions at Werenski. And I pointed out the age thing because you've shown a willingness to dump or trade folks you have such lowered opinions of and so I was trying to stave off a conclusion of "therefore we should trade him."

Werenski right now is reminding me a lot of how frustrating Jones was when he was in Nashville at first. I didn't think he was worth Joey as a return at the time. I'm not about to make that mistake again. :)

Murray has been BASHED for nearly his entire career in Columbus, by MANY people on here. Much of it based all upon injuries, some quite serious.
So? They're wrong. They've been wrong for a while. That can be demonstrated very handily right now, without kvetching about other players.

Reactions: CBJWennberg10

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
How GOOD is Ryan Murray??

OR

How good IS Ryan Murray?

He's playing the best that he's ever played. By far. He's a major piece of a defense which is in the bottom third of the league.

Keep in mind that the front office which you venerate was so convinced of his long term value prior to THIS SEASON that they signed him to a one year deal.

Last edited:

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
He's playing the best that he's ever played. By far. He's a major piece of a defense which is in the bottom third of the league.

Keep in mind that the front office which you venerate was so convinced of his long term value prior to THIS SEASON that they signed him to a one year deal.

Is there anything other than the current CBJ TEAMS current goals against numbers that make you believe the defense is in the bottom 1/3 of the league? And even then, it isn't accurate.

Look at the +/- numbers for both the CBJ team and the entire league, and look where Murray stands. You also might realize that apart from just a few guys (J Anderson being 1) all of the guys leading league wide are all pretty much from 4-5 teams.

Lots of 'crow' here. From both his play and him staying healthy.

A '#3' and capable to play on a/the top pair with any partner on any team in the league.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Copying Old Guy's question re: Werenski's next deal what do you think Murray asks and what would you do if you were Jarmo?

I have no guess as to his ask but if I were Jarmo I'd strive for 8 years for around 5-5.5 mill.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Copying Old Guy's question re: Werenski's next deal what do you think Murray asks and what would you do if you were Jarmo?

I have no guess as to his ask but if I were Jarmo I'd strive for 8 years for around 5-5.5 mill.

I wouldn't do 8 years with Murray at that dollar figure.

Upside of that contract - save maybe a million per in the middle years of it, when Murray could make bank.

Downside of that contract - be short $5.5 million each year because Murray can't play, or declines as some D-men do. Vlasic ain't looking great right now.

Tell Murray, if he wants 8 years, the $ starts with a 4.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
I wouldn't do 8 years with Murray at that dollar figure.

Upside of that contract - save maybe a million per in the middle years of it, when Murray could make bank.

Downside of that contract - be short $5.5 million each year because Murray can't play, or declines as some D-men do. Vlasic ain't looking great right now.

Tell Murray, if he wants 8 years, the $ starts with a 4.

Quick reminder that Murray just turned 25 and is 6-7 years younger than Vlasic. He is essentially the same age or 1 year older than guys like Jones, Nutivaara, Anderson, Bjorkstrand and Wennberg. Guys that are seen to have plenty of untapped potential, when Murray is the 1 with "lost development time" that he can, and seems to be making up for quite quickly.

He is playing as our #2 defenseman. When an opponent has 1 strong line or is "top heavy", the coaches go to Murray-Jones, as they should. This is his 1st real year where he's been put into a position to put up decent offensive numbers, and he is. And you think he's gonna take a contract that's been offered to Jack Johnson?

How much longer does he have to go before the "injury prone" or "glass man" label is removed?

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Who wants to make a bet?

I say that the next contract Murray signs is for more years and for a higher cap hit than the next contract Werenski signs?

I'll double down and say that there will not be a:

"Congrats to our #3 D man" tweet from Werenski.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
In general I agree with most of your thoughts. This one seems like either you fat fingered the 3 or forgot the :sarcasm:.
I was being generous. I'd even give him a one way contract.:D

I would be very reticent to go long term or high dollars with him given his injury history. I'd also think that a full year of evaluation is in order before any longer term deal is signed. He still has an RFA year left and I doubt an arbitrator would give him more than $4 million so I don't see the hurry in signing him long term.

If they go long term with him, I'd think a 4 x 4 deal would be one which could satisfy all sides.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Who wants to make a bet?

I say that the next contract Murray signs is for more years and for a higher cap hit than the next contract Werenski signs?

You must live in an alternative universe to think that Z doesn't have a higher market value than Murray.

Sabo0290

Lost along the wing
Aug 28, 2015
Dayton
Who wants to make a bet?

just gotta ask, is this a shot at Ryan Johansen's tweet to Dubinsky a few years back?

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
I was being generous. I'd even give him a one way contract.:D

I would be very reticent to go long term or high dollars with him given his injury history. I'd also think that a full year of evaluation is in order before any longer term deal is signed. He still has an RFA year left and I doubt an arbitrator would give him more than $4 million so I don't see the hurry in signing him long term.

If they go long term with him, I'd think a 4 x 4 deal would be one which could satisfy all sides.

Yes the injury thing is a concern although so far so good lately. I'm not sure what another year will prove though. As has been discussed many times, his injuries were all unrelated and iirc all resulted from "freak plays", e.g. hit with a pick, Calvert (?)rolled up on his leg, etc.

Looks like it could be another tough negotiation. I still would lean towards giving as many years as possible but stop short of 8. Maybe 6.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Who wants to make a bet?

One is likely signing a long term deal (4-5+ years) after multiple RFA deals. (Rookie deal + bridge + QO)

One is likely signing a bridge deal after his first rookie contract.

No shit sherlock.

If Werenski is ALSO signed to a long term deal, you're going to be wrong. (But I do enjoy you pitting Murray-Z against each other, you know, because its what you do.)

I'll double down on your double down. I bet Artemi Panarin gets more money and more years from an NHL team this summer than Lukas Sedlak does.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
One is likely signing a long term deal (4-5+ years) after multiple RFA deals. (Rookie deal + bridge + QO)

One is likely signing a bridge deal after his first rookie contract.

No **** sherlock.

Well done buddy, I guess we could say that you are the "sherlock".

Not sure why you had to "out" me though, as you can see I probably would have had a "taker" or 2 on the bet...

You must live in an alternative universe to think that Z doesn't have a higher market value than Murray.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
just gotta ask, is this a shot at Ryan Johansen's tweet to Dubinsky a few years back?

Well, I stubbed my toe and had to go to the ER, so I believe I should be excused of everything, as I just got back home and the meds are probably affecting my memory, but no, I have no recollection of any Johansen/Dubinsky tweet.

Purely coincidental.

Sabo0290

Lost along the wing
Aug 28, 2015
Dayton
Well, I stubbed my toe and had to go to the ER, so I believe I should be excused of everything, as I just got back home and the meds are probably affecting my memory, but no, I have no recollection of any Johansen/Dubinsky tweet.

Purely coincidental.

Ahhh, it was a tweet from Joey @Dubinsky for a contract signing I believe. Said, "congrats to our 2nd line center." either way, useless info on my part. :thumbu:

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Ahhh, it was a tweet from Joey @Dubinsky for a contract signing I believe. Said, "congrats to our 2nd line center." either way, useless info on my part. :thumbu:
That's the first thing I thought of too.

I would be willing to gamble on him longer term but not sure about the dollar amount. 5 years $5 million would be a pure stab in the dark.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad