News Article: Murat: It’s way too early to panic but the Winnipeg Jets need to be better

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
These guys need a wake up call. Enough of this nonsense. Half the team last night looked like they just woke up from a 3 hour nap. Get it together boys!

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Way too early to panic but if they don't get their shit together by next Wed, that Leafs game is going to be unbearable and it's all we'll be hearing about.

Reactions: YWGinYYZ

garret9

AKA#VitoCorrelationi
Mar 31, 2012
Vancouver
www.hockey-graphs.com
Laine: 4 Giveaways, -1
Scheifele: 5 Giveaways, -1
Wheeler: 1 Giveaway, -5

The nhl giveaway stat is fairly useless as the scorer gets to choose whether a possession change is a giveaway, takeaway, or neither based on how they feel to assess blame.

It’s a very subjective and random stat in how it’s tracked.

For example, my company simply tracks possession lost and gained, and it works much better.

FFHockey

Oct 12, 2015
Winnipeg, Manitoba,
Something pretty smelly with this group on so many different levels.

Hard to believe this is a team looked at to be a Stanley Cup favoutite...they look at best to be a team that will claw their way to a playoff spot. I will be so happy if they prove me wrong!

Reactions: sipowicz

Trinity

Dec 12, 2017
I sure hope these guys woke up angry this morning, because I know I did.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
The article was fine, and Murat identified some of the problems. However, I think he's missing the most obvious issue... the Jets' #1 line is playing way too much and it's getting killed 5v5. They have enough "wow" shifts on offense to seduce you, but they give up way too much defensively. Despite a heavy dose of offensive zone starts, they are under water in CF% and xGF% and they have a penalty differential of a whopping -5. I think they are a bit too comfortable thinking that they can overwhelm with offense, and need to be switched up. That should also help the other lines.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
The article was fine, and Murat identified some of the problems. However, I think he's missing the most obvious issue... the Jets' #1 line is playing way too much and it's getting killed 5v5. They have enough "wow" shifts on offense to seduce you, but they give up way too much defensively. Despite a heavy dose of offensive zone starts, they are under water in CF% and xGF% and they have a penalty differential of a whopping -5. I think they are a bit too comfortable thinking that they can overwhelm with offense, and need to be switched up. That should also help the other lines.

All it takes is to switch Wheeler and Laine. We have a couple of 'easier' games coming up, it's a good chance to make some changes.

Howard Chuck

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2012
Winnipeg
I should add, that I think the second line might get completely burned though because Wheeler isn't going to help from a defense POV.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
I should add, that I think the second line might get completely burned though because Wheeler isn't going to help from a defense POV.

Agreed I'm still at a loss when it comes to the prevailing thoughts out there and in the media of Wheeler being a great two way player when he's pretty poor defensively. He used to really be able to drive offense and tilt the ice which is likely where the notion came from. However Last year and this year he's showing his age as he has lost some speed. He is no longer fast enough to be able to beat guys wide with regularity and has resorted to constantly dumping and chasing now which imo is half the reason that line is struggling. The other issue is that Scheifele is now emulating this whereas two years ago Scheifele was one of the best in the league at creating offense through controlled zone entries. Dumping and chasing wastes this skill.

I would like to see Scheifele back with Ehlers at the very minimum as that would get him back to playing through the nz with speed and control.

Reactions: Board Bard

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Much short-term room for improvement. Also room for variance to even out. Practices should be focused, concentration should be high, and things will be back in shape before you know it. There's too much talent.
Agreed there's too much talent for sure.
But if the vets are allowed to do things over and over that others would get benched for immediately, it sends the wrong message. The longer we hang in at or near .500, PMo will be content with cosmetic changes.
Perhaps, Scheif-Wheels will figure out the effort in the defensive zone that brought them success last year.
Perhaps ELL will develop chemistry (even though the chances of that given their lack of interest in defensive play & their lack of confidence as a group right now says chances of that happening are <5%. Perhaps, we'll figure out some defensive combination that will work (or even try to adjust things).

This team needs a wake up call, and none of the leaders nor the coach appears willing to do it. There's wayyyyyyy too much talent in this squad to accept .500 and wait for change to happen when we're being outplayed and especially outworked by the opposition most games.

CaptainChef

Jan 5, 2014
Bedroom Jetsville
Hellebuyck isn't helping either. Hope he isn't mailing it in now that he got PAID.
Come on! Our goalies are the least of our problems. When most of your veteran forwards are adverse to playing any defense, and you have the second & third defensive pairings that we currently are deploying, there isn't a goalie in the world that can hold the fort down.

Reactions: surixon

voyageur

Hockey fanatic
Jul 10, 2011
All it takes is to switch Wheeler and Laine. We have a couple of 'easier' games coming up, it's a good chance to make some changes.

I don't think that is all it takes. It takes stronger coverage, better breakouts, more battle won, more grease. Lowry has been pushing a greater share of the yeoman's work. Outscoring Little and Ehlers.

Defense is a problem. I think the defense needs more pace. Better breakouts.

I also think Maurice is unimaginative as a coach. He gets his horses prepared well, but he stays the course, when common sense calls for change.

Going back to 3 line hockey hurts the team.

Hell try

Connor-Scheifele-Wheeler
Perreault-Little-Roslovic
Ehlers-Copp-Laine
Lemieux-Lowry-Tanev

That's almost last year's 2nd place lineup. Pre-Stastny.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
If the Jets continue to flounder then next year I would like to see Trouba traded and a purge of veterans for more youth.

I would look toward two to three season from now when Laine is 22 and our other young core players are in their prime. Niku and Sandberg could be regulars by that time as well. Vesalainen would be much further ahead as well as Roslovic.

I don't like all the cap space Buff, Wheeler, Little and Myers take up.

This is of course a scenario where we're dinking along a few games above 500 barely hanging in the playoff race....kind of like the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
If the Jets continue to flounder then next year I would like to see Trouba traded and a purge of veterans for more youth.

I would look toward two to three season from now when Laine is 22 and our other young core players are in their prime. Niku and Sandberg could be regulars by that time as well. Vesalainen would be much further ahead as well as Roslovic.

I don't like all the cap space Buff, Wheeler, Little and Myers take up.

This is of course a scenario where we're dinking along a few games above 500 barely hanging in the playoff race....kind of like the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.

I want Trouba traded regardless of what we do this year. And what is our NMC situation this year and next year? That will have a large effect on any veteran purges.

VictoriaJetsFan

Mar 24, 2013
I want Trouba traded regardless of what we do this year. And what is our NMC situation this year and next year? That will have a large effect on any veteran purges.

I know Buff has some movement coming up wit his contract situation. Myers would walk and Little would have to be bought out. Trouba needs to return another right handed d and another almost ready to play prospect.

So in 20-21 I see the following guys being key pieces:

Laine
Schief
Ehlers
Roslovic
Vesalainen
Connor
Lowry
Tanev
Cops
Lemieux
Appleton/Suess/Harkins (let's say the Moose produce one consistent NHL'er by that time)

Morrissey
Niku
Samberg
Poolman

Helle

let's assume The Trouba trade produces two more high quality pieces.

None of these players are older than 27 in 20-21. No glaring weak spots minus right handed d, although you hope Trouba returns one..also we can get another two drafts under our belt.

If you prescribe by the theory that what you want is as many chances at a Cup as possible as opposed to loading up, then this may be the route to go. A la Washington.

Reactions: Laine Fan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad